Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What was your first ever post on this forum and what did it say?

Started by Johnny Textface, February 09, 2019, 08:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 09, 2019, 11:56:51 PM
They never did bring it back.

Keep the dream alive.  Now that we're leaving the EU, I think there's a renewed sense of hope on that front.

ToneLa

pancreas

Looked it up and was going to post it but it's just too fucking awful. It's extremely embarrassing, was probably written drunk, and means absolutely nothing. (There's one sensible idea in there, appallingly presented.) You can no doubt find it if you wish.

kittens

Quote from: pancreas on July 31, 2011, 11:53:03 AM
The thing that immediately came to mind is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2ZsoYWwJA

at about 7:30.

In general it's an interesting topic; another is, Where is a philosophical approach to discussing comedy successful?. (Partly what the point of this forum is, I suppose.)

But for the topic in hand, which as I understand it, is Is Philosophy good comedy fodder? Yes, clearly. And perhaps it shouldn't be surprising:

Could one argue that Philosophy and comedy both succeed by taking the audience into unfamiliar places and then using certain established frameworks for examining those places? There seems something similar about the processes, even if that's not quite it. But it's certainly true that you can't have a good piece of comedy without something original; more often than not this will constitute some (broadly understood) philosophical insight. Conversely I've often heard philosophers discussing philosophy as if it were a joke---so things like 'the punchline is that consciousness is bound up with i-states' or whatever. Well, I don't know---discuss.

One thing seems sure: it's a pretty untapped area. It would, as Louis CK demonstrates, provide great material for stand-up..

In a slightly different vein, Stuart Lee certainly seems to employ a post-modernist method as a foundation for his stuff (as perhaps Lenny Bruce used a Marxist method??). The fact that I can't stand most post-modernist devices makes Stuart Lee very difficult impossible for me to watch. But I can see the appeal.

got you covered brother np

Cerys

Quote from: Cerys on February 03, 2004, 08:38:11 AM
My dad got me to put my face to one of the stones in West Kennet Long Barrow in Avebury, and then gleefully informed me that 'that's where they found dead people' ... and they wonder why I turned out the way I did...!

No comment.

Quote from: Konki on February 09, 2019, 08:41:39 PM
First of five IVF attempts. Baby finally due next month.

Fantastic!

St_Eddie

It's not that bad, pancreas!  A bit wanky perhaps but certainly nothing to be overly ashamed about.

Bazooka

QuoteWhen he criticised Ed Milliband for the way he looks I pressed stop on iplayer,I am no supporter but at this point screenwipe held the same values as Fox news.

A damming critiscm.

Bazooka

Quote from: pancreas on February 10, 2019, 01:41:44 AM
Looked it up and was going to post it but it's just too fucking awful. It's extremely embarrassing, was probably written drunk, and means absolutely nothing. (There's one sensible idea in there, appallingly presented.) You can no doubt find it if you wish.

Isn't most of the content on here written drunk or high on Spice?

Totally fucked this now. This is what happens when you post sober.

Bazooka

Quote from: DistressedArea on February 10, 2019, 02:27:51 AM
Totally fucked this now. This is what happens when you post sober.

I read the original post, but can't remember it now.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 02, 2005, 11:58:56 AM
From the depths of the West of Europe
A young child will be born of poor people
He who by his tongue will seduce a great troop;
His fame will increase towards the realm of the East.

The greater part of the battlefield will be against Corber.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 01:17:47 PM
Look up Sutherland, so-named as it was the most southerly province ruled by the Jarl of Orkney but ironically on the northern tip of the mgainland UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland

Similarly Essex, Wessex, Sussex etc

Still quite interesting, but hardly my best work.

Has it only been ~2 years? I lurked for a while before posting, I think reading an old Wimblewrong thread (image of someone feeding their cock into a meat grinder) is what put me over the edge and into "this place is for me" territory. Never looked back.

Picked this shit pun username because my streetcar was stuck behind a Cirque du Soleil ferriswheel so I did the first name that popped into my head while I was waiting. I quite like ferriswheels, nice and gentle. I actively dislike both the film and the character Ferris Bueller. Should have considered that before using it as a name really, but I didn't think I'd stick around as long as I have.

What can I say, I kinda like it here.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 10, 2019, 04:19:37 AM
From the depths of the West of Europe
A young child will be born of poor people
He who by his tongue will seduce a great troop;
His fame will increase towards the realm of the East.

The greater part of the battlefield will be against Corber.

Didn't look good for Corber

Noonling

I daringly starting my own thread.

Quote from: Noonling on July 13, 2016, 06:05:27 PM

Obviously torture is often ineffective, either because it goes overboard and you just shut down, or else you don't know anything in the first place and will start talking about Richard Herring's ISIS connections just to get the pain to stop.

But suppose someone came along and wanted to kill your loved ones. What would be the right combination of words/actions to make you tell them where they are?

I posted this on December 25, 2006.

Quote"Hey guys. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. As well as some new Woody Allen DVDs, a Liam Neeson box set and a new PHONE that I'm actually typing this on, I also got a crystal ball for Christmas. It says Donald Trump will become president of the US, Britain will leave the EU and none other than Rolf Harris will be unmasked as a sexual deviant. It's obviously faulty, but the guarantee says I can return it to Virgin Megastores any time in the next 18 months, so no need to worry."

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Icehaven

This thread has has given me a bit of a Mandela thing actually as I thought I had very definite memories of my first visits to the forum (including venturing into the chatroom) being when I lived in a flat that I moved out of in early 2009, but apparently I didn't wash up here until 2010. I wouldn't have lurked or used a different name so I must have just misremembered.

machotrouts

What is the distinction between "What was your first ever post on this forum" and "what did it say"?

I'm still gearing up for my first post. I hope it's a good 'un.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: machotrouts on February 10, 2019, 12:21:31 PM
What is the distinction between "What was your first ever post on this forum" and "what did it say"?

Yo-ho-ho-oooor aaaaaaarrrse

TrenterPercenter

I just went straight in on the attack over Jimmy Carrs tax avoidance and someone saying "who wouldn't avoid paying tax?", no intro or nufffin.

Not much has changed

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 26, 2012, 06:52:53 PM
Well most people that can do don't they? But this game of semantics doesn't have to end there.

Wouldn't most people moan about someone else not paying tax when they had to?
Wouldn't most people steal if they could get away with?

Its not illegal to spray your guts all over the toilets at work and then leave without flushing but you ain't going to win any friends by holding up your un-incited dirty protest as a beacon of liberty.

If he wants to pay 1% then he can fucking hover everywhere he goes, those roads don't pay for themselves....

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on December 05, 2005, 01:34:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that British Aerospace (now called BAe Systems beacuse it's a The combination of British Aerospace (BAe) and Marconi Electronic Systems (MES)) is a seperate company to British Airways.

Yes hello, I am a pedantic geek!

A quite horrificly almost 14 years ago...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 26, 2010, 09:03:28 AM
After hovering around for a while, I decided to register on this forum...JUST to heap praise on the Cerys' storytelling prowess. I wonder if Nolan will do a reworking of the Venezualan newt in his next movie. The paradoxical axolotl.

Any ideas??

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on February 10, 2019, 01:41:44 AM

It would be cruel for me to post it, but here is your 4th

Quote from: pancreas on August 15, 2011, 11:53:10 AM
The Gervais episode was spot on for me, despite my misgivings about Gervais's output. It was very nice to see the two particular flavours of misanthropy that Larry and Gervais expound clashing. At least it made a change from the arguably formulaic intra-judeo conflict which takes the form of ad nauseam repetition, cf. 'I know what you're doing. This is a chat-and-cut / this isn't a chat-and-cut / i'm the king of chat-and-cut I know a chat-and-cut.' ect ect

I also liked the moment of self-awareness, cf.
Spoiler alert
Suzy: 'I have no choice [but to invite you]: it's like your some sort of appendage to us.'
[close]
. Brilliant punchline.

wosl

BritishHobo

In a thread about Harry Hill's awful, hateful single about a thick chav who wants a boob job and a mobile phone and a baby (I Wanna Baby), after watching this advert for the full album, Funny Times:

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 07, 2010, 07:11:04 PM
I love that in the advert for his album, the lyrics for SuBo are:
'Subo... oh oh oh oh.'

Flatscreen TV: 'Flatscreen, flatscreen TV, flatscreen, flatscreen TV.'

Ken: 'Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.'

Brilliant work, Harry Hill. That's almost up there with the likes of 'Imagine'.

I stand by it.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 10, 2019, 04:31:12 PM
In a thread about Harry Hill's awful, hateful single about a thick chav who wants a boob job and a mobile phone and a baby (I Wanna Baby), after watching this advert for the full album, Funny Times:

I stand by it.

I still find it astonishing that he made such complete dross as that after having done some of my favourite standup shows ever.  That and the apparently terrible Harry Hill Movie which I'll never bother watching.  Makes me wonder if his most recent standup show 'Sausage Time' is worth a look at all or if it was similarly affected by the quality-drop.  I can easily imagine him shoehorning live performances of those awful singles into it.

Lost Oliver

On David Schneider:

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 07, 2012, 01:32:33 PM
He does look like he'd like to be dominated. I can see him being spoon-fed cum in someones box room.

Great forum by the by.

Kinda happy with it. Not too keen on the "by the by" though. Seems a bit needlessly stand-offish.

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2019, 04:24:12 PM
It would be cruel for me to post it, but here is your 4th

Well presumably that's now considered antisemitic. I suppose I stand by it, though it's difficult to believe Gervais wasn't bad in it.