Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Creepy, Haunting, Shit Yourself Music

Started by Prison Biscuits, February 10, 2019, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am starting to realise that the only time I feel any sort of flickering in the dead end nervous system I call my "feelings" is when im creeping myself the hell out, walking around at sick sunset in the village, around and around the endless irrigation ditches, listening to something affecting and unnerving, summits eerie, a seeps into the bone marrow kind of jam.
I don't mean some fat a&r man's nephew in a skeleton mask shouting fuck into a jar of worms, I mean something like -

Deathprod - Treetop Drive  ---  although this one is quite beautiful, in an end of all things way, but it's what I was playing two nights ago trespassing behind the bowls club in absolute cold darkness when I suddenly saw something lit up, an outpost of humanity and electricity in the woods, and it turned out to be a noticeboard for the parish with a handwritten note pinned to it that read "SCARCROWS WANTED".

Scott Walker is a fairly obvious candidate for this kind of thing. I was going to put The Electrician, but I find its chorus a little bit uplifting, so here's the creep king of all creeps ---
Jesse --- probably the 666th time that song's been posted on this forum but whatevs, bae, IT PUTS THE ICE IN MY GUTS

Another obvious one, obviously, CURSED
Damia - Sombre Dimanche --- again, anyone with a pair of shit ears knows about this song, just dipping my toe in here, don't get your fixie bike in a twist.

Keeping old time, ooh how scary, the old days, when people who are now dead were alive, Nelstone's Hawaiians, a twanking banjo manifestion of lingering death
Fatal Flower Garden

Lastly, a great band called Slug from the 90s who used to bark out a fine line of Unsane-esque sludge noise rock, also liked to fuck with loops of silly samples and put this track on their album The Out Sound, which just makes the mind want to fall right out of me.
Slug - Crawl

Any other suggestions for haunting, creepy music? Post black metal if you wish, but I usually find most of that stuff quite life-affirming.

holyzombiejesus

Rolo Tomassi - Fantasia. This is a good live version; skip to 1m 40s for when she starts singing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4XtpWQAhM

Studio version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzgxb8nqio

purlieu

Quite a few Nurse With Wound tracks fit the bill.
'Colder Still' is a favourite. Proper 'walking through haunted woods stalked by an unknown creature' music (despite a couple of slightly corny horror film synth stabs at the beginning).
'Homotopy to Marie'. "I didn't know anybody and there was a funny smell."
'Mutilés De Guerre'. The looped scream in this always gets under my skin.
'The Golden Age of Telekinesis'.
'A Missing Sense'. Because whispering is creepy.
'Zero Mix'.

Current 93 - I Have a Special Plan for This World
A series of Thomas Ligotti poems set to really quite unsettling backing music. In the first half it frequently sounds like a dial is being pressed, switching from David Tibet's recital to some really horrible inhuman voice on a different channel.

Fantomas - Delirium Cordia. It's got Mike Patton, so it veers towards the absurd and theatrical in places, but overall it's a pretty successfully creepy album.

Just about anything by Elegi:
Angekok
Fyrtarnet Part 1
Svanesang

kngen

Coil - Who'll Fall?

Lustmord - Primordial Atom

Probably didn't do my mental health a lot of good by listening to these a lot on my Walkman in my late teens/early 20s, ghosting through the crowds in my own wee purgatorial bubble.

Quote from: purlieu on February 10, 2019, 01:56:45 PM
Quite a few Nurse With Wound tracks fit the bill.
'Colder Still' is a favourite. Proper 'walking through haunted woods stalked by an unknown creature' music (despite a couple of slightly corny horror film synth stabs at the beginning).
'Homotopy to Marie'. "I didn't know anybody and there was a funny smell."
'Mutilés De Guerre'. The looped scream in this always gets under my skin.
'The Golden Age of Telekinesis'.
'A Missing Sense'. Because whispering is creepy.
'Zero Mix'.

Current 93 - I Have a Special Plan for This World
A series of Thomas Ligotti poems set to really quite unsettling backing music. In the first half it frequently sounds like a dial is being pressed, switching from David Tibet's recital to some really horrible inhuman voice on a different channel.

Great recommendations. Just what I'm looking for. Consider my timbers shivered.

That Coil track is quite lovely actually, it's got a comfort to it somehow. A calm dismantling of a tragedy that is helping someone come to understand it.

kngen

Quote from: Prison Biscuits on February 10, 2019, 02:41:53 PM

That Coil track is quite lovely actually, it's got a comfort to it somehow. A calm dismantling of a tragedy that is helping someone come to understand it.

Yeah, it's beautifully haunting in that respect. I love their use of dropped call tones and messages to create the same kind of 'infinite void' soundworld that I always associated with late-night shortwave radio and post-closedown TV. Without wanting to sound too fogeyish, I feel like we've really lost something a little mystical with the digitisation of these things.

chveik

Jockice

A Different Corner by George Michael. Obviously.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kngen on February 10, 2019, 02:22:04 PM
Coil - Who'll Fall?

Lustmord - Primordial Atom

Probably didn't do my mental health a lot of good by listening to these a lot on my Walkman in my late teens/early 20s, ghosting through the crowds in my own wee purgatorial bubble.

Lustmord is great and I hand't heard that track. Baaaaaaaaaal.

BlodwynPig

I still maintain that OMD's Architecture and Morality is the most  consistently creepy album I've heard.

wosl

Some smooth jazz is so robotically anodyne, so bereft of any trace of human soul or emotional engagement, that it unnerves you.  Undemanding, straight-ahead melodic, laid-back stuff ought to sooth and relax you, but some of it just makes you feel anxious, pointless, empty and alone.  Forget yer industrial darkcores, I reckon serial killers get into the mood to dole out butchery with stuff like this parping away in the background (the rote, disengaged "band cheers" that punctuate this are frankly chilling):

Nite Flyte - 39,000 Ft

Keebleman

Van Morrison and the Chieftains' version of She Moved Through the Fair is the musical equivalent of an M R James story: it's not clear why, but something ghastly and supernatural is happening and will not be stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV7ZFI0CDBw

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wosl on February 10, 2019, 04:14:58 PM
Some smooth jazz is so robotically anodyne, so bereft of any trace of human soul or emotional engagement, that it unnerves you.  Undemanding, straight-ahead melodic, laid-back stuff ought to sooth and relax you, but some of it just makes you feel anxious, pointless, empty and alone.  Forget yer industrial darkcores, I reckon serial killers get into the mood to dole out butchery with stuff like this parping away in the background (the rote, disengaged "band cheers" that punctuate this are frankly chilling):

Nite Flyte - 39,000 Ft

I like some stuff like this, but this far too bland. Like Elevator Muzak became sentient and got funky.

This is a much better example and unsettling in a weird way - imagine a guy picks you up at the bar, he's quite a few years older, you just out of school. It's sexy time and he puts this on to get in the mood - Jon Benet by 18 Carat Affair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBRLbDzZ_yk&frags=pl%2Cwn

wosl

A bit of Alex Bugnon now and again is about my limit, but really, something like the mellower side of Pat Metheny shows up this sort of tepid, soft-jazz-funk-by-numbers for what it is.  The Nite Flyte stuff I find outright creepy in its hollowness.

Phil_A

Delia Derbyshire & Barry Bermange - Falling (from Inventions For Radio: Dreams(1964))

A mesmerisingly eerie portion of this pioneering experimental radio series which used recorded interviews as the basis of a sound collage. Down and down and down

Sons Of The Pioneers - Cool Water (1934)

Always found something a bit creepy about this but it's hard to pin down why, might be more of a subjective thing.

Position Normal - ??? (Unnamed bonus track from Stop Your Nonsense album(1997))

The kind of track that's designed to come on after an extended gap when you've forgotten the album is still playing and spook the shit out of you.

Climax Golden Twins - Hobbes' Theme(from Session 9 Soundtrack (2001))

A great unsettling soundtrack from an underrated film

BlodwynPig

I love that Derbyshire one - horrible especially with those poor Bison in the photo.

Dirty Boy

SPK - Leichenchrei covers the industrial noise element that's been popular in this thread. I listened to it fairly recently and still felt it getting under my skin even though it's not really my bag anymore. Check out those song titles.

La Faulx by Univers Zero is fairly horrifying on headphones in the dark. stick with it until the dogs start barking and all hell breaks loose about 10 minutes in. I haven't tried listening to it in the woods though.

BlodwynPig

That reminds me

Ben Frost - The Carpathians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0b72Z9IxDw&frags=pl%2Cwn

Gets to 1:07 and then hope you haven't just been woken up.

BlodwynPig

thraxx

I'm glad someone has posted Penderecki's Threnody: makes my skin crawl. Looking forward to diving into these suggestions later.

BlodwynPig

Stuck with real skin crawlers, but I do love shudderers like this from Pressurehed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB-TVsLYz-k&frags=pl%2Cwn

I was captivated by the track - where was that sample from. Well, I found out a few years ago in Berlin when Farflung were playing at the Red Rooster. Tommy Grenas, the. guitarist in both bands was at the bar and I started chatting and told him how much I loved this track. He told me that they had been driving across New Mexico and dialled into a Christian radio station who were doing an interview with a supposed possessed kid, so he started his DAT recorder and got this sample. I often wonder if there was a part 2.

Ferris

A lot of Jóhann Jóhansson stuff is very haunting.

Fordlandia is the easiest to get into, but IBM 1401, A User's Manual has some of the weirder stuff on there. I don't think it is "shit yourself music" though.

purlieu

Quote from: thraxx on February 10, 2019, 05:31:03 PM
I'm glad someone has posted Penderecki's Threnody: makes my skin crawl. Looking forward to diving into these suggestions later.
A rare example of 20th century atonality being used really effectively. It's a beautifully horrible piece of music.

The piece of orchestral music that gets to me the most is the opening of the second movement of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJUtDRIErw
The repeated descending motif actually makes me shudder. Regardless of the composer's intentions, to me the first couple of minutes there are the sound of the world itself putrefying and dying.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Someone called The Stranger with the appropriately named Bleaklow. Sounds like it should soundtrack a nightmarish science fiction film.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6UEI12ZM7E

purlieu

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 10, 2019, 05:49:15 PM
Someone called The Stranger with the appropriately named Bleaklow. Sounds like it should soundtrack a nightmarish science fiction film.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6UEI12ZM7E
It's probably possible to recommend a significant amount of Leyland Kirby's stuff in here - The Stranger and The Caretaker are both incredibly bleak projects.

Another Current 93 one here, a very early track which is little more than a really fucking creepy, haunting recording of the really nasty hymn 'I'm the One' ("I'm the one who nailed the cross so high / I'm the one who shouted crucify") with a few weird vocal samples at the end. The fidelity and vocal performance make it really harrowing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnQs0BllD3c

BlodwynPig

no mention of Diamanda Galas yet? These threads always bring her up.

bgmnts

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2019, 06:04:18 PM
no mention of Diamanda Galas yet? These threads always bring her up.

also The Boiler, the theme to Picturebox and Frankie fucking Teardrop.

Lordofthefiles

The Caretaker.

Music from the ballroom in The Shining.
Gives me the creeps...

https://youtu.be/LL998ajnjN4

jobotic

There's a few on here I'd have recommended too, NWW, Caretaker, Deathprod, Dreams. The one I remember having played to me when I was about 14 and getting freaked out by is Chrome - I Am The Jaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-RPGGJPpY

Is was a lot creepier than it sounds though as he played it on a tape and he'd recorded it at 33rpm istead of the 45 it should have been.