Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cabbage, mon choux

Started by pancreas, February 10, 2019, 06:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Glorious stuff, isn't it? Raw in a salad or coleslaw, stir-fried with loads of butter, pickled into sauerkraut or kimchi, braised with cinnamon ... it's all good.

I suppose I'd have to go with Savoy on a desert island.

Does anyone have any nice cabbage stories to tell?

BlodwynPig

Endicott

rasta-spouse

Savoy, Chinese, Red (braised with apples, wine and spices esp.) all good. But hard white cabbage, that's where I get off.

purlieu

Mate, cabbage and choux, that's a bad mix. You want cream and chocolate with choux pastry. Not cabbage.

Pijlstaart

Big old german twangerwurst with rotkohl. Rotkohl on toast. Feeding a whole cabbage to a pig. Sitting on a fence in dungarees eating a whole cabbage. https://gfycat.com/politelameaoudad . A good hearty concept veg.

rasta-spouse

I made a Reuben back in the late 2000s but I chickened out of using sauerkraut because of the pong, so I used coleslaw instead. Worst. sandwich. ever (imagine that in Courtney Cox voice).

So eventually, a decade later, I got the nerve to put sauerkraut in the Reuben sandwich, and I don't know how much heavy lifting its doing alongside the pastrami and Russian dressing but damn that's some good eating son (say, Shia LaBeouf voice). And I daresay it has changed my life.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I ate zero cabbage before exploring central Europe, but no I'll demolish a plate of red cabbage, preferably with quarter of duck and dumplings.

I had sauerkraut with strapacky for the first time, which worked really well.

Varza a la Cluj is worth trying. Think Lasagna with cabbage...but..good. focus on that being good.

Buelligan

I'd love some cabbage jam right now.  John McDonnell gets a huge solid white cabbage of Jez's allotment, rolls it in gravel and forces it, whole, up Tom Watson's bottomhole.  We're just watching.

Twed

Cabbage is usually present in the best umami experiences in cuisine. Hooray for cabbage!

Buelligan

Dex Sawash

My favorite S Asian place does a cabbage with a load of 1mm black spheres of something that probably isn't cabbage. I will eat a slaw with vinegar based dressing but the mayo kind can get to fuck.

thenoise

Spring greens are my choice of underrated cabbages. Boiled with salt in strips with mustardy mash potato and (veg) sausages and gravy.

Butchers Blind

Cabbage is a great at parties if you just want to be left alone.

bgmnts

I love eating cabbage because I keep my arse warm with cabbage-y farts all day, the smell comforts me.

boki

Dex Sawash

Do brussels sprouts count as cabbages or is that too EU?

BlodwynPig

Takes up to much room in my rucksack

thenoise

Quote from: boki on February 10, 2019, 08:42:22 PM
Green, vile. Red, okayish.

I love braised red cabbage with onion/apple/etc with a roast. It also makes great pickle, and a colourful pink coleslaw. But for plain boiled/stir fried cabbage I go with green.

Cuellar

pancreas

thraxx

That pickled cabbage salad they give you in the Japanese restos in France as a starter.  Also Bigos is the best food ever.

BlodwynPig

You cant go wrong with pickled cabbage.

Brexit britain looks brighter now

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

Brian Freeze

Gramigne is good. *

We tried making Bigos last year after reading someone praising it on here and were a bit underwhelmed.

*That's what we call the recipe from Geometry of Pasta with sausage and cabbage.

Brian Freeze

We've tried growing them and between club root, slugs and pigeons it's not been worth the effort.

The tops off the scratty twigs that were supposed to be producing sprouts were flipping amazing. Probably worth doing again even if there's no sproutage.

Bazooka

Lettuce evolves into cabbage at lvl 24.

Flatulent Fox

I love cabbage,but I had to stop making jars of pickled cabbage as the lids kept popping making the place really stink.

Also this documentary below is about cabbage soup.