Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:11:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BAFTA's 2019

Started by Malcy, February 10, 2019, 09:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Anyone watching? I'm skimming through on iPlayer. Mainly watching to go phwooaar at the women and say 'oh doesn't he/she look old'!

I haven't seen one film that has been nominated yet.

Edit - apart from First Man which I gave up on after an hr for being boring as fuck.

Funcrusher

For once the BAFTA winners seem good to me, as I really liked both The Favourite and Roma.

the science eel

Olivia Colman! an absolute joy

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Na na na na na na na. BAFTAaaaaaaas!!!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: the science eel on February 10, 2019, 10:49:27 PM
Olivia Colman! an absolute joy

That's my reaction too, I'm so pleased she won it as I've heard it suggested that Glenn Close will win at the Oscars not because it's a better performance but because she's been nominated so many times before and never won.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 10, 2019, 11:03:38 PM
That's my reaction too, I'm so pleased she won it as I've heard it suggested that Glenn Close will win at the Oscars not because it's a better performance but because she's been nominated so many times before and never won.

that says more about these type of award ceremonies than Glenn himself.

I reckon in a few years Coleman will join JK Rowling as deputy PM in that new party.

Bronzy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 10, 2019, 11:03:38 PM

That's a load of bollocks if it's true, I don't see why Olivia Colman should be deprived of an award she fully deserves just because the academy have constantly nominated Glenn Close for every shit film she's been in due to the fact they can't (or refuse to) think of anyone else to nominate.

greenman

Quote from: Bronzy on February 10, 2019, 11:15:12 PM
That's a load of bollocks if it's true, I don't see why Olivia Colman should be deprived of an award she fully deserves just because the academy have constantly nominated Glenn Close for every shit film she's been in due to the fact they can't (or refuse to) think of anyone else to nominate.

That her and Streep get endless nominations for very average films/performances I'd guess suggests a lot of the academy don't bother to watch most of the contenders for best actress and just tick their names off.

Bronzy

Quote from: greenman on February 11, 2019, 02:47:05 AM
That her and Streep get endless nominations for very average films/performances I'd guess suggests a lot of the academy don't bother to watch most of the contenders for best actress and just tick their names off.

It's the same with the award for best animated film, Pixar wins it almost every year because (in my opinion, which is highly likely to be true) the academy voters only actually watch the animated films they take their kids or grandkids to see.

It's why anime and adult animated films almost never win, and that's not to say the films that win are bad, but off the top of my head I can recall Anomalisa and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya losing out to vastly inferior films in Inside Out and Big Hero 6, respectively.

It's also how I can almost guarantee this year that neither Mirai or Isle of Dogs will win despite probably being the best two nominees. Fuck sake, even Incredibles 2 would be picked by academy voters over those two.

But I digress, I have far too many issues with the fucking shitshow that is the Oscars to fit in one post, and in any case, this thread is meant to be about the BAFTA's.

Just glad that Roma and The Favourite won most of the awards, they were my two favourite films out of the ones I've seen that were up for the main stuff this year.

phantom_power

Quote from: Bronzy on February 11, 2019, 03:07:55 AM
It's the same with the award for best animated film, Pixar wins it almost every year because (in my opinion, which is highly likely to be true) the academy voters only actually watch the animated films they take their kids or grandkids to see.

It's why anime and adult animated films almost never win, and that's not to say the films that win are bad, but off the top of my head I can recall Anomalisa and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya losing out to vastly inferior films in Inside Out and Big Hero 6, respectively.

That's sort of the inverse of how comedy films never do anything at the Oscars because apparently comedy isn't difficult or worthy enough to win.

Timothy

Anomalisa was quite a bad movie though. Worst movie Kaufmann ever made. Inside Out was much much better. Deserved win imo.

Talulah, really!

This awards season is a fine demonstration of the nominative determinism effect of film titles as The Favourite and Leave no trace have shown.

Bad Ambassador

Counterexample: The Front Runner.

Quote from: greenman on February 11, 2019, 02:47:05 AM

Glenn Close has only been nominated 7 times since 1982 and five of those nominations were between 82 and 88. She wasn't nominated again until 2011 and since then this is her only nomination. Streep fair enough, she's nominated every other year, but I'm not sure where this idea that Close is this mainstay in the awards comes from. Counting producing and writing nominations Bradley Cooper is also on 7 since 2012.  Amy Adams has six nominations in 13 years. 7 in almost four decades isn't many.

phantom_power

Also, Into the Spiderverse won Animated Film, which it rightly deserved. Not only is it a great, fun film, it only really works as an animated film and is really inclusive and progressive but in a completely non-showy way

neveragain

Amusingly the 'Awards Presented Earlier' section at the end starting show clips of awards that had been in the main body of the show (Sandy Powell winning for Costume Design and someone else). Thought it would never end.

Other comments: Nothing against Lumley but she was dreadful. And vision mixers: stop cutting to the musician during the dead people bit, makes it more about her.

Malcy

Quote from: neveragain on February 11, 2019, 01:51:30 PM
And vision mixers: stop cutting to the musician during the dead people bit, makes it more about her.

Thought that was a right stupid decision. Why was she even there in the first place?

buzby

Quote from: neveragain on February 11, 2019, 01:51:30 PM
Nothing against Lumley but she was dreadful.
She was. The 'humourous' listing of stars who had bothered to attend was painful, made worse by the almost complete absence of audience ambience in the sound mix so it sounded like every one of her stilted joke deliveries was being met with stony silence (which it may as well have been).

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 11, 2019, 11:42:52 AM
Counterexample: The Front Runner.

Ha! However counter counterexample: Glenn Close (but no cigar).

Bronzy

Quote from: phantom_power on February 11, 2019, 01:31:38 PM
Also, Into the Spiderverse won Animated Film, which it rightly deserved. Not only is it a great, fun film, it only really works as an animated film and is really inclusive and progressive but in a completely non-showy way

It is a superhero film however, so on principle I fucking despise it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Bronzy on February 11, 2019, 08:32:02 PM
It is a superhero film however, so on principle I fucking despise it.

Then you sir, are a fool. A fucking cunt of a fool

Bronzy

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 07:47:53 AM

I just can't get into them. They all feel like they have the same plot to me except they've just changed the costumes and setting.

They just all feel like the same film remade again and again, it's so unoriginal to me.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Bronzy on February 12, 2019, 11:11:55 AM
I just can't get into them. They all feel like they have the same plot to me except they've just changed the costumes and setting.

They just all feel like the same film remade again and again, it's so unoriginal to me.

Then you're not paying attention. Please explain how The Dark Knight and Into the Spider-Verse are 'the same film'.

Bronzy

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 12, 2019, 11:39:52 AM
Then you're not paying attention. Please explain how The Dark Knight and Into the Spider-Verse are 'the same film'.

They're both superhero films, only one tries to pretend it's dark and gritty while the other is animated.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Bronzy on February 12, 2019, 12:26:17 PM
They're both superhero films, only one tries to pretend it's dark and gritty while the other is animated.

Imagine someone saying this about Unforgiven and Blazing Saddles. They'd look pretty idiotic, wouldn't they?

madhair60

Mr Bubz is right, I'm afraid. At least about the Marvel movies. That's why I've fucked 'em off. More power to you if you enjoy them.

Bronzy

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 12, 2019, 03:11:28 PM
Imagine someone saying this about Unforgiven and Blazing Saddles. They'd look pretty idiotic, wouldn't they?

Westerns are shit an' all.

Fuck yer Clint Eastwood, dirty old bastard.

Bronzy

In my opinion the only good thing superhero films have (inadvertently) contributed to society is this:

https://youtu.be/czTksCF6X8Y

Bet you that's not in this new "spider-verse" film, so frankly it's not worth watching.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 07:47:53 AM

watch your language neck beard

phantom_power

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 12, 2019, 03:36:50 PM
watch your language neck beard

Verily shall  I watch my language, lest my language watches me. You fucking rimjob