Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:02:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Aladdin alive

Started by Butchers Blind, February 11, 2019, 12:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Does it do the record scratch thing when he comes out of the lamp..."hey, I'm the genie" "who?" record scratch "whadddayaaa mean you never heard of me", something like that?

kalowski

Eastern Persia born and raised
In a bazaar where I spent most of my days

Replies From View

It's really quite bizarre to me that they're remaking Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King and so on.  Aren't the original versions of those films widely considered to be amongst Disney's best output?  They were perfectly good weren't they?  Why do they need redoing?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Replies From View on February 12, 2019, 11:37:57 PM
It's really quite bizarre to me that they're remaking Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King and so on.  Aren't the original versions of those films widely considered to be amongst Disney's best output?  They were perfectly good weren't they?  Why do they need redoing?

Because they're raking in more than the originals at the box office, it's simple as that.  We have a whole generation of adults who are obsessed with Disney nostalgia now, so these remakes appeal just as much to them as to today's kids, if not moreso.  They don't even need to be good, that's the magic of it - the name alone (and a couple of celebrity faces/voices) will do the trick.

Talulah, really!

This is the worst though (at 43 seconds)

https://youtu.be/7NiYVoqBt-8

"From the imagination of Tim Burton....". How the fuck is from the imagination of Tim Burton? Dumbo was a film some 17 years before he was even born. Tim Burton's imagination, what a fucking vale of wonders that is, 'I imagine I'll cast Johnny Depp in this one if he's free', 'hey won't it be great if we went for some sort of gothic comic book visuals, that would be neat', maybe Danny Elfman can do the soundtrack.'

BlodwynPig

Even Dumbo looks cliche ridden and saccharine drenched SHITE in the hands of modern men/women.

v. disappointed that Jen Aniston has signed up to be CGI'd into a Disney remake of my first Minotaur film.

St_Eddie

They don't care about artistic integrity.  They care only about the MOooNEYyyyY.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Talulah, really! on February 12, 2019, 11:53:21 PM
This is the worst though (at 43 seconds)

https://youtu.be/7NiYVoqBt-8

"From the imagination of Tim Burton....". How the fuck is from the imagination of Tim Burton? Dumbo was a film some 17 years before he was even born.

That bothered the fuck out of me too.  'From the Arsehole of Tim Burton', more like.

Mister Six

Why does Jafar sound like a twentysomething shelf-stacker at Boots?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Replies From View on February 12, 2019, 11:37:57 PMIt's really quite bizarre to me that they're remaking Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King and so on.  Aren't the original versions of those films widely considered to be amongst Disney's best output?  They were perfectly good weren't they?  Why do they need redoing?
Plus Beauty and the Beast is the same fucking film, no attempt to differentiate from the original other than being 'live action' ('live action' now apparently meaning 'mainly CGI'). Judging from their trailers, Lion King and Aladdin seem to be going in the same direction. At least they tried something a bit different with Jungle Book.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 12, 2019, 11:41:31 PM
Because they're raking in more than the originals at the box office, it's simple as that.  We have a whole generation of adults who are obsessed with Disney nostalgia now, so these remakes appeal just as much to them as to today's kids, if not moreso.  They don't even need to be good, that's the magic of it - the name alone (and a couple of celebrity faces/voices) will do the trick.

Which is a real downer for me because so far my favourite Disney film from that era, The Little Mermaid, has yet to be given the live action remake treatment but it's clearly an inevitability and clearly it's going to be rubbish.

Mister Six

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 13, 2019, 01:03:03 PM
Plus Beauty and the Beast is the same fucking film, no attempt to differentiate from the original other than being 'live action'

The script is different - it irons out some plot holes, builds up some minor characters and has a new song. Not substantially different, or worth watching, but if the same script had been used for the original it would have been a fractionally better film.

But then they Emma Watson, who can't act for toffee, and miscast Ian McKellen as Cogsworth, and fucked it all up. Oh, and shot the crowd scenes totally artlessly, like it was a live recording of a Broadway show. The live version of the song Belle was a travesty when compared with the carefully crafted shots of the original.

So yeah: shit.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on February 13, 2019, 01:11:31 PM
Which is a real downer for me because so far my favourite Disney film from that era, The Little Mermaid, has yet to be given the live action remake treatment but it's clearly an inevitability and clearly it's going to be rubbish.

It is in the works with Keira Knightley as the lead but it's taking forever to develop because she wants Ariel to not give up her voice, not rely on a male ergo no male love interest and they're waiting for Harvey Weinstein come out of hiding to play Ursula so that Little Mermaid becomes the ultimate story of female empowerment.

Clownbaby

Jafar is horribly miscast by the look of it

Mediocrely handsome and ordinary and too young

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on February 13, 2019, 01:46:11 PM
It is in the works with Keira Knightley as the lead but it's taking forever to develop because she wants Ariel to not give up her voice, not rely on a male ergo no male love interest and they're waiting for Harvey Weinstein come out of hiding to play Ursula so that Little Mermaid becomes the ultimate story of female empowerment.

You jest but not long ago Lindsay Lohan was seriously gunning for the role and she's the same age as Knightley.  Ariel is 16, hence the title.

Mister Six

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 13, 2019, 02:02:11 PM

Surely to God they must have approached Ben Kingsley?!

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on February 13, 2019, 02:10:50 PM
You jest but not long ago Lindsay Lohan was seriously gunning for the role and she's the same age as Knightley.  Ariel is 16, hence the title.

I thought that said gurning at first.  Seriously gurning.

Kelvin

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 13, 2019, 02:02:11 PM

Aladdin, too, but the opposite. Too old, and far from the sexy twink I'd always imagined.

Edit: he's 27, apparently. I'd always assumed the character was late teens or early 20's.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 12, 2019, 07:07:01 AM
Oh that image didn't work, I'll try again

Lenny Henry's fast talking, quirky genie is the only fast talking quirky genie who's powers I recognise.
That Yankee fellow can fuck off.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Mister Six on February 13, 2019, 03:59:00 PM
Surely to God they must have approached Ben Kingsley?!

They did, but he will continue to ignore them until they realise it is Sir Ben Kingsley.

Bad Ambassador

Jeremy Irons was born to play an evil Disney wizard.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 14, 2019, 01:27:29 PM
Jeremy Irons was born to play an evil Disney wizard.

Scar was a wizard?

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Mister Six on February 13, 2019, 01:31:50 PM
The script is different - it irons out some plot holes, builds up some minor characters and has a new song. Not substantially different, or worth watching, but if the same script had been used for the original it would have been a fractionally better film.

They also threw some overt LGBTQ colour into the mix in the form of LeFou, which was a pleasant surprise, if not quite as progressive a move as it might have been given how pitiful and pathetic a creature the character was presented as for much of the runtime.

I hope they plough through the Greatest Hits quite quickly with these Live Action Nearly Renditions and I hope they all make a whole bunch of money so that eventually we might be in a position where a Live-ish Action Fantasia, made in the spirit of the original, is something we can expect to actually see. Imagine that. Imagine a Live-Ish Action anthology film modelled on Fantasia. All the different segments farmed out to suitable hands. Bill Morrison doing a bit for it, maybe. Guy Maddin. It'd be fucking brilliant, but, wouldn't it? Would.

Glebe

Glebe

And, perhaps inevitably:

Ferris

St_Eddie

Well Jungle Book had Christopher Walken
Beauty and the Beast had auto tune
See, all you gotta do is remake that movie
Give us more, House o' Mouse, they'll all say
You ain't never had a remake like me

51% Rotten Tomatoes
One billion box office

Timothy

Jungle Book was amazing. Beauty and the Beast was an almost one on one real life remake and really really good. A beautiful musical. Loved it.

That Winnie the Pooh movie was dire. Same goes for Mary Poppins.

I'm still optimistic about Aladdin.