Author Topic: Aladdin alive  (Read 2845 times)

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
Re: Aladdin alive
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
Still looks bad; the original animated version, just without the charm.  Will Smith's performance is not a worthy replacement for Robin Williams.  Also, what does he say after "just kidding"?  It sounds like "rushes", but I don't know what that could possibly mean.

He's saying "Watch this."

Looks absolutely awful. The direction and composition is especially bland. Plus, I'm not sure if the problem is me or them, but it just looks very racist; all these Arabian cliches in a live action setting. The cartoon feels more timeless and heightened, but there's just something very uncomfortable about seeing imagery like that in a 2019 live action film. Maybe I'm just racist for thinking it all looks racist. Racism ouroboros.   

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2019, 08:38:04 PM »
Also I can understand why they would have cast a younger, more energetic Will Smith.  This genie just seems tired.

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2019, 01:51:56 AM »
I've had zero interest in any of these CGI remakes of Disney movies, but that trailer was quite fantastic. Haters going to hate, but I actually want to see this now.

Will Smith is even more charismatic than Robin Williams and this is the kind of role that's perfect for him (not action star), so I don't see why some are pessimistic about him.

Fry

• BIG UNIT
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2019, 02:05:37 AM »
I've had zero interest in any of these CGI remakes of Disney movies, but that trailer was quite fantastic. Haters going to hate, but I actually want to see this now.

I agree, this kind of won me over. Seems fun enough and will smith made me smile a few times. Although Jafar still seems way too young and barely menacing at all.

But then again I've recently come to realise I have really low standards for being entertained and can basically enjoy any old tripe. I've come to embrace this, it's liberating.

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 02:07:18 AM »
Yeah Will Smith is the best thing about this trailer. The worst thing is the set production looks too stagey and too Bollywood. That maybe intentional so that it looks like a pastiche rather than picking out a particular culture.

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
This will definitely be a (financial) success. At least it's not part of an expanded universe.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »
Racism ouroboros.   

My favourite tea.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • Very tired. Sorry if my recent posts are shit.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »
This will definitely be a (financial) success. At least it's not part of an expanded universe.

...yet.

One Thousand and One Nights - lot of room to spaff out sequels there. The Aladdi-verse.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »
Although Jafar still seems way too young and barely menacing at all.

I think we're just getting old, mate.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »
...yet.

One Thousand and One Nights - lot of room to spaff out sequels there. The Aladdi-verse.

They have Return of Jafar, a cartoon series and King of Thieves to borrow content from yet.