Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Aladdin alive

Started by Butchers Blind, February 11, 2019, 12:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 12, 2019, 08:22:43 PM
Still looks bad; the original animated version, just without the charm.  Will Smith's performance is not a worthy replacement for Robin Williams.  Also, what does he say after "just kidding"?  It sounds like "rushes", but I don't know what that could possibly mean.

He's saying "Watch this."

Looks absolutely awful. The direction and composition is especially bland. Plus, I'm not sure if the problem is me or them, but it just looks very racist; all these Arabian cliches in a live action setting. The cartoon feels more timeless and heightened, but there's just something very uncomfortable about seeing imagery like that in a 2019 live action film. Maybe I'm just racist for thinking it all looks racist. Racism ouroboros.   

Replies From View

Also I can understand why they would have cast a younger, more energetic Will Smith.  This genie just seems tired.

I've had zero interest in any of these CGI remakes of Disney movies, but that trailer was quite fantastic. Haters going to hate, but I actually want to see this now.

Will Smith is even more charismatic than Robin Williams and this is the kind of role that's perfect for him (not action star), so I don't see why some are pessimistic about him.

Fry

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 13, 2019, 01:51:56 AM
I've had zero interest in any of these CGI remakes of Disney movies, but that trailer was quite fantastic. Haters going to hate, but I actually want to see this now.

I agree, this kind of won me over. Seems fun enough and will smith made me smile a few times. Although Jafar still seems way too young and barely menacing at all.

But then again I've recently come to realise I have really low standards for being entertained and can basically enjoy any old tripe. I've come to embrace this, it's liberating.

Urinal Cake

Yeah Will Smith is the best thing about this trailer. The worst thing is the set production looks too stagey and too Bollywood. That maybe intentional so that it looks like a pastiche rather than picking out a particular culture.

This will definitely be a (financial) success. At least it's not part of an expanded universe.

Shit Good Nose

Ferris

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 14, 2019, 01:49:38 PM
This will definitely be a (financial) success. At least it's not part of an expanded universe.

...yet.

One Thousand and One Nights - lot of room to spaff out sequels there. The Aladdi-verse.

Replies From View

Quote from: Fry on March 13, 2019, 02:05:37 AM
Although Jafar still seems way too young and barely menacing at all.

I think we're just getting old, mate.

Replies From View

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 14, 2019, 02:28:15 PM
...yet.

One Thousand and One Nights - lot of room to spaff out sequels there. The Aladdi-verse.

They have Return of Jafar, a cartoon series and King of Thieves to borrow content from yet.

kalowski

Christ, why remake this? I'm watching the cartoon right now. It's bloody great. I mean, OK, it's chock full of stereotypes: the first turban sets the scene, there's a man on a bed of nails, men walking in fire and the old Indian rope trick in the first ten minutes, but the songs are fun and Robin Williams is utterly perfect.

Who wouldn't want to piss all over the legacy by using Will Smith painted blue?

St_Eddie

"You ain't never had a friend like me!"

What, the Fresh Prince painted blue?  No, can't say that I have.  I also can't say that I want to.  Get back in your lamp, you sparkling cunt.

Quote from: kalowski on March 30, 2019, 05:17:29 PM
Who wouldn't want to piss all over the legacy by using Will Smith painted blue?

Oh, they have their reason$.

Mister Six

Quote from: kalowski on March 12, 2019, 08:31:40 PM
I know that Robin Williams isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the genie is one of his career defining performances. What the hell are they thinking?

To be fair he's not been answering anyone's calls lately.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on March 12, 2019, 08:36:53 PM
He's saying "Watch this."

Looks absolutely awful. The direction and composition is especially bland. Plus, I'm not sure if the problem is me or them, but it just looks very racist; all these Arabian cliches in a live action setting. The cartoon feels more timeless and heightened, but there's just something very uncomfortable about seeing imagery like that in a 2019 live action film. Maybe I'm just racist for thinking it all looks racist. Racism ouroboros.   

Is it worse that they cast a bunch of people who aren't, and don't look, Arabic or Persian? It's like they found the whitest/most Caucasian-looking brown people possible for the roles. Jasmine is half-white, half-Indian, for example. Feels weird in this time of calls for accurate representation in Hollywood by woke folks that the old "they're brown so they'll pass for Arabs/Persians" thing still works.

Or does caring about this make ME the racist? Ahhhh.

momatt

It's also a bit racist that they didn't use an actual blue man for the genie.
Getting a brown person and blue-ing them up?  Racist as fuck.

Quote from: kalowski on March 30, 2019, 05:17:29 PM
Christ, why remake this?
Why does Disney do anything?  To make massive piles of money.
Seems fair to me.

The old films you like are still the same.
Unless they've done a secret George Lucas and added extra spaceships and aliens to the 1992 version?

This would actually be great though.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: momatt on April 01, 2019, 02:06:56 PM
It's also a bit racist that they didn't use an actual blue man for the genie.

momatt

That guy must be gutted he didn't get the part.

Kelvin

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 01, 2019, 05:16:19 PM
did they forget to colour the genie blue?

I think in the latest trailer they show him as a non-blue Will Smith, so he's not actually blue for the entire film.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on April 01, 2019, 05:37:03 PM
I think in the latest trailer they show him as a non-blue Will Smith, so he's not actually blue for the entire film.

They showed his human form in the original teaser trailer.  The blue version wasn't unveiled until the first full length trailer.  Also, the original animated version had Robin Williams' genie doing the same thing.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 01, 2019, 05:57:57 PM
Also, the original animated version had Robin Williams' genie doing the same thing.

Does he? He appears in a human disguise during the Prince Ali song, which is what you mean, I assume. The scenes of a human Will Smith seem to be during the desert sequence before that.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on April 01, 2019, 06:01:44 PM
Does he? He appears in a human disguise during the Prince Ali song, which is what you mean, I assume.

Yep, that's the bit I was referring to.  Will Smith's genie is also in his human form during that same song and dance number, as briefly glimpsed in the trailer.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 01, 2019, 07:32:10 PM
Yep, that's the bit I was referring to.  Will Smith's genie is also in his human form during that same song and dance number, as briefly glimpsed in the trailer.

So Will Smith's genie arbitrarily chooses to black up for his human disguise.

These are different times!

St_Eddie

Eh, no.  This isn't working for me at all.  It all feels so Panto Season.  That whole trailer reeks of desperation on the part of Disney.  They've now resorted to including an extended clip of a song, followed by two or three separate trailers within the same promotional video; all of it based around nostalgia baiting.  I don't think that they have any more faith in this remake than cynical audience members like myself do.

St_Eddie

Somebody over on Reddit pointed out the following about the song...

Quote from: 'PixelMagic' over at r/moviesPlay it at 1.25x speed. Feels better. It's the tempo. It's completely wrong in the normal speed.

I just tried this and they're absolutely spot on.  Give it a go yourself.  It makes a remarkable difference.  Disney have really screwed the pooch on this one.

Replies From View

What a weak version of the song.  It was originally driven by Robin Williams' energy and silly voices as he zipped around transforming into villagers to express excitement.  Will Smith singing "a hundred bad guys with swords" doesn't do anything.

madhair60

Prince Ali
Fuck off Disney
Shitted it right up.

It was great
Now it's just hate
ful as can be.

Defaced by corporate whores
I hope they develop sores
In places you wouldn't want pustules to beeeeeeee

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on May 14, 2019, 10:24:19 PM
What a weak version of the song.  It was originally driven by Robin Williams' energy and silly voices as he zipped around transforming into villagers to express excitement.  Will Smith singing "a hundred bad guys with swords" doesn't do anything.

Exactly.  The lyrics which were originally accompanied by amusing visuals in the animated version, such as "strong as ten regular men, definitely" are now accompanied by weak dance moves and nothing more.  This is undoubtedly because having the visuals present in the original animated version, wouldn't work in live action because they're too cartoony by nature.  Which rather perfectly summarises why even attempting to do a straight up live action remake of a beloved animated classic is a fundamentally broken concept and a fruitless (not to mention toothless) endeavour.

Quote from: madhair60 on May 14, 2019, 10:49:08 PM
Prince Ali
Fuck off Disney
Shitted it right up.

It was great
Now it's just hate
ful as can be.

Defaced by corporate whores
I hope they develop sores
In places you wouldn't want pustules to beeeeeeee

Excellent stuff, comrade.

Fuck you, Disney.

madhair60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEryAoLfnAA

The original, with its creative staging, gag after gag and actual energy.

God, the Disney remakes are fucking cancer.

madhair60

Watching that again, the original one, I'm struck by just how fuckable all the women are. Not in the world, in the cartoon. If I were Prince Ali I would fuck my way through Agrabah. Then I'd use my third wish to not get HPV instead of freeing the genie.