Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monitor arrangement

Started by Cerys, February 11, 2019, 05:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

In my tiny office, I now have another monitor.  However, because my office is about two feet six square, the additional monitor is above the original one.  I'm sure at some point I'll get used to shifting my pointer to the side rather than up and down to switch between the two, but is there any way of just getting my machine to recognise that it's a vertical arrangement rather than horizontal?  I'm using Windows 10, and I have a feeling I've missed something obvious.

Funcrusher

We know that this thread only exists so you can mention that you have an office.

Cerys

Nope - this thread exists so I can ask a question and then realise that I can work out the answer myself and then feel stupid for missing something obvious and creating the thread in the first place.

But yes - yes, I have an office.  It's tiny.  And great.

ToneLa

Quote from: Cerys on February 11, 2019, 05:08:28 PM
In my tiny office, I now have another monitor.  However, because my office is about two feet six square, the additional monitor is above the original one.  I'm sure at some point I'll get used to shifting my pointer to the side rather than up and down to switch between the two, but is there any way of just getting my machine to recognise that it's a vertical arrangement rather than horizontal?  I'm using Windows 10, and I have a feeling I've missed something obvious.

So they're

X
X

? If space was at a premium, though, I'd have them horizontal and both turned 90 degrees so they're portrait(assuming they're the kind that can be). But I'm weird..

Anyway, I believe if you go into Display settings, you know the screen where you identify each monitor 1 and 2? Pretty sure you can drag these into the required position. Windows 10, um, probably in Settings > Display, anything there sounding like this?

Cerys

Way ahead of you, but thanks :)

Twed

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Three monitors? Well la di da!

Cerys

I'd probably go for three if I had the space, but as it is I'd have to mount one of them on the side wall and go nuts from having to turn my head all the time.

Twed

Cerys

Yeah, my first one is a laptop.

thraxx

And just how do you think these lizards feel about being pushed about into various configurations by you?

Cerys

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on February 11, 2019, 05:19:18 PM
But yes - yes, I have an office.  It's tiny.  And great.

On that note, how is your detective agency going, Cerys?

NoSleep

I'd stick with using one monitor. I've worked in places where there were two monitors and found the 2nd one to be unnecessary. I'd especially not like a monitor I have to crane my neck to look at. I hate that everyone with a large screen TV puts them high on a shelf instead of down below, but this is even more of a problem if you're situated at a desk with a monitor set high. It's most comfortable to have the monitor so you're slightly looking down at it.

I suppose you could incorporate the 2nd monitor to give you an overview of what you're doing, where manipulating the mouse up to it was unnecessary. For instance, if you were using an art program like Photoshop you could have a view of the whole composition while you actually worked in detail on the sensibly positioned screen below.

But genuinely; pick the best monitor to keep and sell the other.

Endicott

Twed

Heh. I don't have mine stacked BTW, that was just a demonstration. My neck hurts enough on a normal day.

Right monitor is browser, pointed so only I can see it at work. Middle one (laptop) has the text editor open for programming, so that the size of the screen I work on is consistent when I leave there. Left usually has VM or debug utility or file browser open.

Cerys

Quote from: NoSleep on February 12, 2019, 10:08:35 AM
I suppose you could incorporate the 2nd monitor to give you an overview of what you're doing, where manipulating the mouse up to it was unnecessary. For instance, if you were using an art program like Photoshop you could have a view of the whole composition while you actually worked in detail on the sensibly positioned screen below.

I got fed up of clicking between windows when using Maya - not a problem when it's just the modelling, but having more than one monitor is a great help when texturing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yup. Pretty much everything I use for work would be a pain without a second monitor, for all the menus and whatnot.

ToneLa

Make sure you pack em up at the end of the day.