Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horse racing - should it be banned?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 12, 2019, 09:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should horse racing be banned?

Yes
33 (78.6%)
No
9 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 12, 2019, 02:01:50 PM

They are nailed on though, in fairness.

The horses don't mind- their shoes are nailed on, they're used to it.

Greyhounds don't need to have their shoes nailed on, they're fine with a bit o' velcro This is further proof that greyhounds are more intelligent:

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 12, 2019, 10:56:51 AM
I love a day at the races.
Great fun - even when I lose all my money.

I found it really boring, half the time the horses are so far away you can't work out if yours is winning, and then when they get close it tends to be all over with within 20 seconds, and I much prefer watching it on tv to actually being there.

Jockice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 12, 2019, 03:06:06 PM
I found it really boring, half the time the horses are so far away you can't work out if yours is winning, and then when they get close it tends to be all over with within 20 seconds, and I much prefer watching it on tv to actually being there.

When I was really young my dad was into gambling on the races and I'd sit on his lap watching them on TV with him. When he went: 'That's my horse.' I'd think he was actually riding it and they were showing a recording on the telly.

28 I was. Etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 12, 2019, 03:06:06 PM

I've been to a couple of meetings and have to agree. I've had more fun when a few of us took the day off work for Cheltenham Friday and casually flitted between the bookies and the pubs.

I did enjoy a night at the dogs, far more decadent but more fun.

I don't think I'd go to either these days though.

easytarget

If you ban it it will go underground. Is that what you want? Loads of horses running through tunnels and sewers in the dead of the night? Because that is what I want.

Bazooka

A horse is dead in the eyes, donkeys look sadder but they just want to eat a samosa, evolution is a hell of a drug.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 12, 2019, 04:30:29 PM
I've been to a couple of meetings and have to agree. I've had more fun when a few of us took the day off work for Cheltenham Friday and casually flitted between the bookies and the pubs.

I wouldn't fancy going to Ladies' Day at Aintree or Ascot or Cheltenham. I'd spend the whole day worrying about someone taking an unflattering photograph of me and then seeing it in the Daily Mail above loads of comments beginning with "These women- I won't call them ladies-" before going on to call me disgusting for trying to have a bit of fun.

imitationleather

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 15, 2019, 10:52:30 AM
I wouldn't fancy going to Ladies' Day at Aintree or Ascot or Cheltenham. I'd spend the whole day worrying about someone taking an unflattering photograph of me and then seeing it in the Daily Mail above loads of comments beginning with "These women- I won't call them ladies-" before going on to call me disgusting for trying to have a bit of fun.

"Altogether a higher class of fat lady."

QDRPHNC

bgmnts

Obviously. Any event that involves animal torture of any kind should be banned.

steve98

Quote from: bgmnts on February 15, 2019, 02:45:59 PM
Obviously. Any event that involves animal torture of any kind should be banned.

What about, for eg, Mexican jumping-bean bars? Are the drinker's worms (inside the beans) being tortured when they put a match to them ? Is that why they jump about like mad? Or could it, in fact, be Joy? We can't know. Horse-Racing's the same.

Fambo Number Mive

There is the question of why horse racing is so uncontroversial for the majority of people in this country. I hate it. Vile sport.

Bennett Brauer

No chance of a ban. People still laugh at Bernie Clifton riding his poor ostrich into the ground ffs.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 12, 2019, 01:20:21 PM
There is the question of why horse racing is so uncontroversial for the majority of people in this country. I hate it. Vile sport.

Where do you stand on Crufts? I was watching that thinking it's pretty cruel, these dogs are bred to have some awfully deformed traits.

biggytitbo

Keep the horses but ban those little men that ride on them.

zomgmouse

yes

(to the question not to the above post)

Paul Calf

Fambo Number Mive

Walked past a TV which was showing ITV horse racing from the jockey's eye view. Looks terrifying for the horses. Cannot understand why, now fox hunting is banned, we can't do the same for horse racing.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 12, 2019, 05:50:33 PM
Where do you stand on Crufts? I was watching that thinking it's pretty cruel, these dogs are bred to have some awfully deformed traits.

That's a difficult one. If there is no way of stopping people doing such a thing maybe it should be banned.

Endicott

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 12, 2019, 05:50:33 PM

It's not Crufts per se is it, it's dog breeding in general. Breeding animals into unusual shapes that have inherent medical problems. Disgraceful.