Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rivalries and resentments between small towns.

Started by holyzombiejesus, February 12, 2019, 11:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

Quote from: Pingers on February 12, 2019, 01:19:41 PM
And yet it's still so much better than Rotherham

I was once on a train full of pissed up Wolves fans who were travelling to an away match; they were being really lairy and singing obscene songs. When the train pulled into Rotherham Central, they all started chanting "WHAT A FUCKING SHITHOLE!" in unison.

ToneLa

Your county council, mate, haha, I mock it. I ridicule you for living in your county council's jurisdiction

My county council's responsible locality is superior in every way.

PowerButchi

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 12, 2019, 11:42:36 AM
Just writing about Hebden Bridge station reminded me how much Todmorden people and them lot in Hebden get really pissed off with each other. Partly because them Hebdeners are all up themselves and eat nothing but hummous and partly because Toddites are scum who shop at Lidl and were pleased about the (false) promise of a McDonalds. Undeniably, the council spend a lot more money on Hebden, their Christmas decorations are better, their parks are better maintained and it just seems a lot prettier and cleaner. Tod, on the other hand, seems split between people who hate Hebden Bridge and people who wish they lived in Hebden Bridge. Another thing is that Hebden Bridge keep saying that Stoodley Pike is in their town when this is an utter lie and it is actually in Todmorden. People in Todmorden seem to resent the more progressive right-on politics of those in Hebden and feel that they are hypocrites (they campaigned against Sainsburys opening a branch in their town but all drive over and use Tod's 2 supermarkets). Hebdeners decry that Tod lot as dicks who have an active BNP party in their midst (true) and a mayoress who was taken to court for stealing a wheely bin.

Also, the Summit Tunnel disaster was Todmorden's but Hebden have put all the photos up in their train station waiting room.

Does your town have any petty grievances with its neighbours?

I used to live in Hebden and shopped at Tod Netto. 18p for 10 fish fingers. Otherwise I had no place for Todmorden. Although the Hebden I saw was mainly drug addiction and massive alcohol problems. Indeed, Radio 4 made a documentary about two borhters I knew, one was a friend of mine, who ended up dying of overdoses. I dunno what it's like now, but in the mid 2000s there was drugs everywhere in that town.

buzby

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 12, 2019, 01:33:05 PM
^Here's an obvious thing I've only just realised- your username is based on your name being Anthony, and your appending it with that friendly appelation by which the good folk of Liverpool address each other.
(Actually, do scouse cunts Liverpool folk still address each other as such? Sounds a bit dated to me )

Quote from: ToneLa on February 12, 2019, 01:42:11 PM
Not actually heard la in donkeys. Could try bringing it back! On my own! Well, someone's got to try..

It's evolved into 'Lid' with the youths these days

PowerButchi

Quote from: ToneLa on February 12, 2019, 11:47:16 AM
Naw but the footie thread in Pictures seems to be amusingly populated with Chester vs Wrexham tales.

Seems a proper, heated hate, too, stretching beyond football, utter derision on both sides. It's hilarious! Racism on both sides too.

Ace, I can comment on both first posts with experience! Jester Shitty are a bunch of pricks. I don't think we're that racist. Although there's a bit of a kick off at the moment about an Israel flag being hung on the disused Kop on Saturday as someone was pissed off we had No Pasaran, Palestine, RoI and Catalan flags on there.

Fuck Chester though, the middle class right wing fucks.

What about village vs village? Coming from a small village from Wrexham called Ruabon I hate the jacko bastards from Rhos and their fake dialect of Welsh, and the Yummer shithouses from Chirk.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PowerButchi on February 12, 2019, 02:10:16 PM
I dunno what it's like now, but in the mid 2000s there was drugs everywhere in that town.

Still are but mainly used by people who work at MediaCity. As for what it's like now, coffee shop, coffee shop, coffee shop, place that sells coloured garden twine for £5 a reel, coffee shop.

Blinder Data

I know they're not small towns, but Glasgow and Edinburgh. Most people are grown-ups about it who visit either city frequently and some even commute between them. But then there are those who never set foot in either, slag the rival off at any opportunity and act as if it belongs to a different country.

Just this week when I told an East Coaster that I lived in Glasgow, he replied in deadpan style "ah'm sorree to hear that, eh". Then he declined to offer me tea and prattled on for hours about skag and the trams.

It's silly because obviously both cities have their pluses and minuses in very different ways but having an honest debate about that with the partisan crowd is near impossible.

PowerButchi

I bought an awesome Question of Sport polo shirt from the charity shop across from the spar  in Hebden in 2006 for a pound. Also I have a Gregg Turkington esque film archive from when the video shop changed to DVD and sold all their VHS for a quid. I have warm memories of Hebden. FInishing work on a Friday at 11 and straigh to the Hole in the Wall for a locking til 3am. Loved by the local womenfolk as I wasn't fat yet and had a lovely Wesh accent. WHere did it all go wrong?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PowerButchi on February 12, 2019, 02:20:43 PM
I bought an awesome Question of Sport polo shirt from the charity shop across from the spar  in Hebden in 2006 for a pound. Also I have a Gregg Turkington esque film archive from when the video shop changed to DVD and sold all their VHS for a quid. I have warm memories of Hebden. FInishing work on a Friday at 11 and straigh to the Hole in the Wall for a locking til 3am. Loved by the local womenfolk as I wasn't fat yet and had a lovely Wesh accent. WHere did it all go wrong?

Hole in the Wall's gone now. Fox and Goose still going strong though.

PowerButchi

Is the Last Orders/Inn on the Bridge still there? Just before I left Dave Foulger had put a furniture shop upstairs. I should go back for a pint at some point and see how it's changed.

holyzombiejesus

Don't think so. Where was it? It's probably a coffee shop now.

PowerButchi

On the way to the Co-op., used to be a comic book by there selling old Viz for 50p.  Near Brunswick Street

holyzombiejesus

Ah, that's called The Old Gate now. Pricey restaurant/ bar. Good selection of beers but a world away from how it used to be.

gilbertharding

If it's pathetic but vitriolic football rivalries you're after, then Southampton v Portsmouth has to be up there, even if it's actually a comparatively recent phenomenon (apparently people used to be quite happy to support both teams, and as they played at home on alternate weeks it was common for people to go to games at both grounds)...

So nowadays Saints are 'Scum' (supposedly an acronym for Southampton Corporation Union Men, from a time in the 1920s when workers from Southampton were blacklegs in a strike in Portsmouth docks - the only problem is that neither the strike nor the breaking of the strike happened).

Portsmouth are, on the other hand, 'Skates', a reference to the fish which lonely sailors definitely sexually abused while at sea. And whenever the two teams have played each other, the only way for away fans to get into the ground is to catch one of the hundred or so double decker buses from their end of the M27, which then travel the 34 miles in convoy.

It's funny that even though I've never lived there, my affection for the Southampton football club means I get a strange fear and loathing whenever I'm in Portsmouth.

I think the two sets of fans hate each other more than those of Norwich and Ipswich

Quote from: PowerButchi on February 12, 2019, 02:12:26 PM

What about village vs village? Coming from a small village from Wrexham called Ruabon I hate the jacko bastards from Rhos and their fake dialect of Welsh, and the Yummer shithouses from Chirk.

None of those shitholes is a patch on Llay.

(I've never been but my dad was born there. It's probably shite).

Quote from: Flouncer on February 12, 2019, 01:50:47 PM
I was once on a train full of pissed up Wolves fans who were travelling to an away match; they were being really lairy and singing obscene songs. When the train pulled into Rotherham Central, they all started chanting "WHAT A FUCKING SHITHOLE!" in unison.

People from Wolverhampton calling somewhere else a fucking shithole?

PowerButchi

Llay has Dennis Taylor, so I give it a free pass.

Neville Chamberlain

Word of advice:

If anyone wants to know how ugly local rivalries can get, don't watch Chard RFC. I've seen stuff there that would make a grown man's water. And not in a good way, either. :-O

Jockice

Quote from: Pingers on February 12, 2019, 01:19:41 PM
And yet it's still so much better than Rotherham

Fuck that. Doncaster genuinely is the pits of that county.

The home town of Jeremy "Jezza" Clarkson? Surely not!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on February 12, 2019, 04:14:01 PM

People from Wolverhampton calling somewhere else a fucking shithole?

You tell them, at least Walsall's got its hippo.

Jockice

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on February 12, 2019, 04:37:53 PM
The home town of Jeremy "Jezza" Clarkson? Surely not!

And...er...one of my exes. And Kevin Keegan. And Groop Dogrill.

Jockice

Dumbarton is better than Clydebank. Which is better than Greenock. Case closed.

Lost Oliver

A scouse mate still says la and it's gorgeous. Sounds well fit.

Alright there la?

ToneLa

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 12, 2019, 04:49:18 PM
A scouse mate still says la and it's gorgeous. Sounds well fit.

Alright there la?

Yes thanks Oliver!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 12, 2019, 03:47:56 PM
If it's pathetic but vitriolic football rivalries you're after, then Southampton v Portsmouth has to be up there, even if it's actually a comparatively recent phenomenon (apparently people used to be quite happy to support both teams, and as they played at home on alternate weeks it was common for people to go to games at both grounds)...

So nowadays Saints are 'Scum' (supposedly an acronym for Southampton Corporation Union Men, from a time in the 1920s when workers from Southampton were blacklegs in a strike in Portsmouth docks - the only problem is that neither the strike nor the breaking of the strike happened).

Portsmouth are, on the other hand, 'Skates', a reference to the fish which lonely sailors definitely sexually abused while at sea. And whenever the two teams have played each other, the only way for away fans to get into the ground is to catch one of the hundred or so double decker buses from their end of the M27, which then travel the 34 miles in convoy.

It's funny that even though I've never lived there, my affection for the Southampton football club means I get a strange fear and loathing whenever I'm in Portsmouth.

I think the two sets of fans hate each other more than those of Norwich and Ipswich
I can remember Matt le Tissier appearing on Fantasy Football League in the mid 90s and a Pompey fan chanted "scummer, scummer" at him, so it's been going for over 20 years.

To give him dues, le Tissier responded with "I thought this was a show about the Premier League?"