Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:19:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sexual assault of men as comedy

Started by madhair60, February 12, 2019, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6QxD2_yQw

Look its a video. What do you think of this subject?? The video is quite long sorry.

Twed

My entire thoughts are

• In a truly better, progressive world this sort of thing will be considered unacceptable. Maybe five years from now
  • Anybody primarily focusing on this right now should probably be looked at askance

Cuellar

Oh god is this going to do what St Eddie's 'Video of people being TRIGGERED' did to my youtube recommendations?

Lost Oliver

Cuellar, are you named after Carlos Cuéllar? Always had a soft spot for him. And now you.

St_Eddie

The only thing I hate more is women hitting men played for laughs.

Quote from: Cuellar on February 12, 2019, 03:01:55 PM
Oh god is this going to do what St Eddie's 'Video of people being TRIGGERED' did to my youtube recommendations?

Sorry about that.  I know not what I do, for I am simple.

I've only watched 5 minutes of this, but most of these are prison jokes more than out and out rape jokes.  Obviously rape is involved, but it's not quite the same thing.... I guess it depends on the context, really.  The only ones that I've seen so far that maybe overstep the mark is that Familly Guy one and dare I say it, the "manly love" scene in Dumb and Dumber.

Cuellar

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 12, 2019, 03:37:14 PM
Cuellar, are you named after Carlos Cuéllar? Always had a soft spot for him. And now you.

I can be named after whoever you want me to be ;)

but no, sorry

biggytitbo

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 12, 2019, 04:58:16 PM
I blame Ned Beatty.

Horrendous to watch.  Endless source of comedy when you're not watching it.

biggytitbo

It's certainly hard to imagine the scene in the Accused inspiring so many memes.

ToneLa

I've worked crawling under tables* for a female manager and her female employees who used to either genuinely ask me to work topless or slightly more likely, chide me with constant requests to work topless

Neither worked, I quit.

*this wasn't the whole job

greenman

Quote from: goinggoinggone on February 12, 2019, 04:29:16 PM
I've only watched 5 minutes of this, but most of these are prison jokes more than out and out rape jokes.  Obviously rape is involved, but it's not quite the same thing.... I guess it depends on the context, really.  The only ones that I've seen so far that maybe overstep the mark is that Familly Guy one and dare I say it, the "manly love" scene in Dumb and Dumber.

Yeah that's certainly a factor, whilst doubtless its less common I'd say the idea of women potentially being sexually assaulted by other women in jail would be considered more acceptable than standard rape jokes.

I do think you could argue that over the last 20 years or more US mainstream comedy has definitely shifted towards a kind of childish machismo, we get endless manchild like characters operating at the level of teenagers and often gloried for it.

Bennett Brauer

A minor point, but some police detectives really would make prison rape jokes while interrogating male suspects. A bit of a dramatic cliché perhaps, but not necessarily as crass as the other haha rape examples.

Noodle Lizard

I worked in an entirely female-run office when I was 19 or so, where these women in their early 30s would loudly/shamelessly talk about wanting to fuck us/cheat on their partners with us (the people in my lowly techy position were all men, for some reason).  One strapping young fella called Julius got the worst of it.  Maybe that's male privilege, if nothing else - that stuff just never really bothered us.

Being bummed against my will in prison probably would bother me, mind, but there are many things which would bother me in real life which I can still find funny in fictional comedy.  I agree that rape perpetrated against males is underrepresented and not taken particularly seriously, but that's at least partly because of our own attitude towards it.  Other guys find the idea of a man getting force-bummed funny, whereas women don't tend to find the idea of a woman being raped very funny.

If I were one of those MRA types, I could quite easily go into detail about the times a woman has reacted with extreme emotion, angrily and sometimes violently when I've refused to have sex with her for whatever reason (including because they were too fucking drunk), but I'm honest with myself and none of those situations were too damaging to me.  Yes, if the shoe were on the other foot it'd be a different story, but it's also a very different foot.

I'm a little bit ale-tipsy.  Sorry if none of that made sense.

McFlymo

Rape of women by men compared to rape of men by any other gender ... Add to that, you know, history. The subjugation of women for centuries, in most of the world. As it said in the video: we should fear rapists, not any particular gender or sexual orientation. And the prison rape thing just annoys the fuck out of me, I think it's a complex issue being reduced to a shitty gag that's homophobic and totally undermining to victims of rape. Still though, the most interesting things about that video were the comments underneath: So many positive reactions from people, seemingly genuinely surprised and affected by it, yet I imagine it wouldn't be quite the same if the subject matter was about women's experiences of sexual assault and rape. That seems like a nice thing about that video: It got through to a few people without provoking the usual misogynist fragile male ego reactionary shite, that the topic of rape and sexual assault often does on youtube, as soon as the focus is on women.

Ferris

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 12, 2019, 03:37:14 PM

He was a mainstay at Villa for years. That's who I think of.

Lost Oliver

Clownbaby

as a womannnnn I absolutely hate when women who have been on the receiving end of some sexist or nasty treatment by men think that it's clever to just TURN THE TABLES and be nasty and sexist and objectifying and dismissive of all men. "We're just getting our own back." 2 wrongs don't make a right. Just because you don't like being generalised as a gender doesn't mean it's a good idea to then do the exact same thing to the opposite gender because "they all did it to you." People argue that male privilege means women can do this but it just adds to the nastiness in the world I think. If you must, stick to the men who actually did something horrible

Ferris

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 13, 2019, 12:02:50 PM
as a womannnnn I absolutely hate when women who have been on the receiving end of some sexist or nasty treatment by men think that it's clever to just TURN THE TABLES and be nasty and sexist and objectifying and dismissive of all men. "We're just getting our own back." 2 wrongs don't make a right. Just because you don't like being generalised as a gender doesn't mean it's a good idea to then do the exact same thing to the opposite gender because "they all did it to you."

Yeah absolutely. Nobody thinks that do they? Not on CaB at least.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 13, 2019, 12:02:50 PM
as a womannnnn

Sickening.  Stop being a woman.  Stop being a human being.

Clownbaby

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 13, 2019, 01:07:40 PM
Sickening.  Stop being a woman.  Stop being a human being.

laaaaaaaaadyyyyyyyyy

McFlymo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 13, 2019, 12:05:20 PM
Yeah absolutely. Nobody thinks that do they? Not on CaB at least.

I do!

Well... maybe a little. I think it shouldn't always have to be women who have to make men aware when their shitty sexist behaviour is shitty and sexist. My experience has never been that women have been predatory, sexually aggressive, inappropriate, creepy or harassed me at work, (I mean, I can't help feel a little rejected, now that I think about it), while on the other hand, I've seen men being pricks to women, all my life...

So that colours my opinion a bit, I guess.

And I guess as a GAIMEN I am not blinded by lusty feelings towards women, so I feel I am in a good position to notice the difference between "good banter" and behaviour that's not so good and often about power and sex. For example, I notice when (straight) blokes are defensive and uncomfortable around women, because clearly they're trying to deal with their (DISGUSTING!!! EWWWW) perfectly normal physical feelings towards them, feelings that they're maybe not comfortable about expressing, or feelings that aren't going to be welcome in that situation, but yeah, hopefully you sort of learn how to deal with that shit when you become, you know, AN ADULT!!! *HAARRUMMPPPFFF*...

Men are shit. There. I said it.
Except you guys. Kisses.

imitationleather

A lot of prison rape jokes seem to be related to people who vindictively want criminals to be punished as harshly as possible.  There's a really uncomfortable right-wing justice aspect to it and if you go "Eh, that seems a bit out of order" you come across as someone who literally thinks all nonces should be sent to Butlins.

As for non-prison-related jokes about sexual assault on men the one that stands out for me in the old memory bank is when Paddy McGuinness is coerced into having sex with a man (who's black as well, lads!) on Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere. Even in those long ago #UNWOKE days that seemed extremely offensive on numerous levels.

I was walking to the shops and thought about this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCw2eR7elM8
Not sure if it counts, as it just might be too silly to take seriously... but it is a rape joke that isn't prison related.

Kelvin

Quote from: goinggoinggone on February 13, 2019, 06:54:42 PM
I was walking to the shops and thought about this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCw2eR7elM8
Not sure if it counts, as it just might be too silly to take seriously... but it is a rape joke that isn't prison related.

That's one of the most homophobic characters I've seen. He's a predatory rapist throughout the entire film, I seem to remember.

Quote from: Kelvin on February 13, 2019, 08:34:14 PM
That's one of the most homophobic characters I've seen. He's a predatory rapist throughout the entire film, I seem to remember.
Yeah, pretty much.

St_Eddie

Quote from: McFlymo on February 13, 2019, 01:21:24 PMMen are shit. There. I said it.

Gotta love the way that egregious sexism is suddenly deemed as acceptable just because it's directed at men, as opposed to women.  Sexism is sexism.  Aiming it towards the less historically oppressed group doesn't suddenly make it right.

St_Eddie

Quote from: McFlymo on February 13, 2019, 01:21:24 PM
Black/white/Hispanic/Asian (delete as appropriate) people are shit. There. I said it.
Except you guys. Kisses.

Clownbaby

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 14, 2019, 05:26:59 AM
Gotta love the way that egregious sexism is suddenly deemed as acceptable just because it's directed at men, as opposed to women.  Sexism is sexism.  Aiming it towards the less historically oppressed group doesn't suddenly make it right.

+1

machotrouts

Just for balance, men should all be exterminated.