Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:28:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sexual assault of men as comedy

Started by madhair60, February 12, 2019, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: machotrouts on February 14, 2019, 01:59:21 PM
Just for balance, men should all be exterminated.

All right, calm down, Davros.

machotrouts

Quote from: madhair60 on February 12, 2019, 01:09:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6QxD2_yQw

I'm very receptive (do NOT joke about this) to hearing about how popular culture relentlessly pushing the idea that people who go to jail should just get bummed to death by a big black man and shut up about it fosters, amongst other things, an unhealthily submissive attitude to authority, and undermines any move towards mass deincarceration. Points like that are somewhat fleetingly made in the video – I'd have liked a bit more analysis so it's not just kinda "here's my half hour rape collage", though I think that's partly because I feel like "prison rape jokes are omnipresent in media" is a bit of a truism, which is quite depressing really. The kids' shows still took me a bit aback. A nudge wink "drop the soap" joke from fucking SpongeBob SquarePants?

There's always the danger that dealing with comedy in a pointedly serious tone can backfire, too. I don't find any of these clips funny in their original form, but (at 23:35) the unfunny Ace Ventura clip where a gorilla smiles coquettishly at some hapless baddie who's presumably about to get fucked as 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' plays in the background is, I'm afraid, made quite funny by the voiceover declaring solemnly "The word for this isn't 'justice'."

Ferris

Quote from: machotrouts on February 14, 2019, 01:59:21 PM
Just for balance, men should all be exterminated.

Common sense, finally someone saying what we're all thinking.

ziggy starbucks

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 14, 2019, 05:26:59 AM
Gotta love the way that egregious sexism is suddenly deemed as acceptable just because it's directed at men, as opposed to women.  Sexism is sexism.  Aiming it towards the less historically oppressed group doesn't suddenly make it right.

Shut up, manny.

machotrouts

I admire having such commitment to not acknowledging rape as comedy that this comedy discussion thread isn't in Comedy Chat. A moral stance

thenoise

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 13, 2019, 02:44:10 AM
I worked in an entirely female-run office when I was 19 or so, where these women in their early 30s would loudly/shamelessly talk about wanting to fuck us/cheat on their partners with us (the people in my lowly techy position were all men, for some reason).  One strapping young fella called Julius got the worst of it.  Maybe that's male privilege, if nothing else - that stuff just never really bothered us.

Being bummed against my will in prison probably would bother me, mind, but there are many things which would bother me in real life which I can still find funny in fictional comedy.  I agree that rape perpetrated against males is underrepresented and not taken particularly seriously, but that's at least partly because of our own attitude towards it.  Other guys find the idea of a man getting force-bummed funny, whereas women don't tend to find the idea of a woman being raped very funny.

If I were one of those MRA types, I could quite easily go into detail about the times a woman has reacted with extreme emotion, angrily and sometimes violently when I've refused to have sex with her for whatever reason (including because they were too fucking drunk), but I'm honest with myself and none of those situations were too damaging to me.  Yes, if the shoe were on the other foot it'd be a different story, but it's also a very different foot.

I'm a little bit ale-tipsy.  Sorry if none of that made sense.

The fact that it didn't bother you or your colleagues doesn't make that behaviour acceptable. It's not hard to imagine some male experiences making such 'banter' really difficult to cope with. But they are just 'MRA's I suppose and should man up right?