Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:12:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doing a total U-Turn on some shows

Started by Clownbaby, February 13, 2019, 10:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

St_Eddie

Ferris

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 13, 2019, 02:09:11 PM
I thought Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was nothing when I first watched it.

?!?!

Unacceptable.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt seemed like it was going to be twee shite. I didn't pay attention to the first few eps when Mrs Ferris had it on. My opinion did a 180 when I watched one properly - the gag to time ratio was incredible and they pretty much all land. It is also very likeable and doesn't overplay it's hand. Great show.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 14, 2019, 11:26:07 AM
This line genuinely enters my mind on weekly basis.

In my job, I think of Ted explaining the raffle-fraud to Dougal on an almost daily basis. Particularly the left-field line "but you'll put on the hat to give me the signal?" because it comes from nowhere and is the inane leap of logic I have to deal with.

See also: that bit from The Holy Grail when Palin is explaining that he wants the two guards to watch the young Terry Jones and not let him leave til Palin returns. "We won't let him leave unless you, or anyone else, comes to get him", and also the bit where Palin thinks he has it explained.... but can't help but put his head round the door and double check, which starts it all again. I do that all the time. 1m50s https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 14, 2019, 11:22:19 AM
Dirty filthy beggars.
What was it Graham used to say about the trans? He had a term for them... A shower of bastards

Utter Shit

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 14, 2019, 12:19:02 PM
What was it Graham used to say about the trans? He had a term for them... A shower of bastards

Gobshites that are never off the air.

Clownbaby

Quote from: purlieu on February 14, 2019, 11:10:22 AM
This is probably why around half the gags in The IT Crowd are ripped directly from Seinfeld. I loved the first couple of series of the show (despite their obvious flaws) until I watched Seinfeld, and realised just how far he'd taken his 'influence'. I recall someone from here mentioning it in a very friendly way in a comment on Linehan's blog back in the day and he went apeshit and did the whole "making bunny cry" bollocks.

The IT Crowd just feels like Linehan's personality moulded into sitcom format that it's just unwatchable these days now anyway. No big loss.

Yeah, IT Crowd has so many rip-off Seinfeld moments.he blatantly tried to do the "weird bosses" thing with the Chris Morris boss and the Matt Berry boss. But neither of them work because they're not very well written or well conceived. Any funny moments that come from the IT Crowd bosses come from the actors playing them, not the writing.

When Linehan mentions how the lads' IT dept is full of references to graphic novels and toys and tat that he likes I wondered was that even supposed to help define what Roy and Moss are like as characters or are you just really proud of your own taste in graphic novels?

Clownbaby

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 14, 2019, 11:55:49 AM
?!?!

Unacceptable.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt seemed like it was going to be twee shite. I didn't pay attention to the first few eps when Mrs Ferris had it on. My opinion did a 180 when I watched one properly - the gag to time ratio was incredible and they pretty much all land. It is also very likeable and doesn't overplay it's hand. Great show.

Well I did do a U turn. Love it now.

just leave!

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 14, 2019, 11:08:25 AM
One of the best Christmas specials ever. So many funny moments and lines in that. I've watched it a countless number of times and I still laugh my head off.

Ted throwing a stone into the sea and hitting a bloke in a boat. Dougal's matador outfit. 'Ruud Gullit sitting on a shed'. Mrs Doyle falling off the window. Mrs Doyle guessing Todd's name. Todd coming in to their bedroom in his pants - 'Well, here we are now, all the lads'. 'Ahhh that's completely unfair!' The priests' chatline. The priest coaching the choir. The way the mic goes really loud when the nun mentions Ted's 'financial irregularities'. Dougal helping with the lights on the Christmas tree. 'He gives good mass!' Dougal going down to watch a scary film - 'i just came down to carry the milk around'. The noise the broken Teamaster makes. 'Oh so a Protestant is better than me?!' The bishop playing a drum kit. Jack getting left in a crèche. Everything in the lingerie section scenes. 'Not that way for feck's sake!' 'You let Dougal do a funeral?!' The way Dougal drops the phone on the table when Ted says he's not in.

That's all off the top of my head and I've forgotten loads. Thinking that episode is rubbish might well be Linehan's worst opinion.

I don't think he says it doesn't have funny bits though, just that Ted is too madcap to hold attention for longer than the usual 30 minutes and that they were padding to fill out the time. You must agree that the award ceremony goes on for ages right?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on February 14, 2019, 12:40:55 PM
I don't think he says it doesn't have funny bits though, just that Ted is too madcap to hold attention for longer than the usual 30 minutes and that they were padding to fill out the time. You must agree that the award ceremony goes on for ages right?
It does but I find it funny. The funny bits in Father Ted aren't padding. On the commentaries Linehan is very critical of anything that doesn't move the plot forward, as if we're watching Ted for the robust plotting. Anyway why can't something madcap hold attention for more than 30 minutes? What about Airplane?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 14, 2019, 05:02:50 PM
Anyway why can't something madcap hold attention for more than 30 minutes? What about Airplane?

Exactly. Same goes for the Marx Brothers, early Woody Allen films and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It is possible to sustain madcap humour for more than 30 minutes if you've written loads of funny gags and situations, you don't even need to bother with a plot.

Menu

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 14, 2019, 06:00:40 PM
Exactly. Same goes for the Marx Brothers, early Woody Allen films and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It is possible to sustain madcap humour for more than 30 minutes if you've written loads of funny gags and situations, you don't even need to bother with a plot.

Yes, Linehan worries about narrative structure and the mechanics of drama far too much. It was slightly surreal to see him obsess over Count Arthur Strong ffs. It's Count Arthur Strong, not Glengarry Glen Ross. Just have a laugh with it.

jobotic

One of the best Christmas specials ever. So many funny moments and lines in that. I've watched it a countless number of times and I still laugh my head off.

Ted throwing a stone into the sea and hitting a bloke in a boat. Dougal's matador outfit. 'Ruud Gullit sitting on a shed'. Mrs Doyle falling off the window. Mrs Doyle guessing Todd's name. Todd coming in to their bedroom in his pants - 'Well, here we are now, all the lads'. 'Ahhh that's completely unfair!' The priests' chatline. The priest coaching the choir. The way the mic goes really loud when the nun mentions Ted's 'financial irregularities'. Dougal helping with the lights on the Christmas tree. 'He gives good mass!' Dougal going down to watch a scary film - 'i just came down to carry the milk around'. The noise the broken Teamaster makes. 'Oh so a Protestant is better than me?!' The bishop playing a drum kit. Jack getting left in a crèche. Everything in the lingerie section scenes. 'Not that way for feck's sake!' 'You let Dougal do a funeral?!' The way Dougal drops the phone on the table when Ted says he's not in.

That's all off the top of my head and I've forgotten loads. Thinking that episode is rubbish might well be Linehan's worst opinion.

The way the nun says BIZARRE IRREGULARITIES IN HIS ACCOUNTS makes it one of my favourite comedy lines ever.

Clownbaby

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 14, 2019, 11:26:07 AM
This line genuinely enters my mind on weekly basis.

There's just something about the way he says it. Can't blame him though, that chalice work really is something

petril

Dougal's head wandering in during Ted's beach walk, looking around, then walking off again

BeardFaceMan

So many great moments sprinkled throughout the Father Ted Xmas episode, some of my favourite moments from the whole show in fact, but as an episode as a whole it stank. Watch it as 2 half hour episodes and it works, it just doesnt feel like one episode at all, just 2 bolted together, pacing is all over the shop, it really does start to drag towards the end, great moments or not.

QDRPHNC

The only good episode of Father Ted is the first one.

Alberon

I remember watching the first series of both The Fast Show and The Harry Hill Show and just not getting either. "This is meant to be funny?" and "It's just the same sketch again!" were common thoughts. Then I started to get them and I'm still quoting Clown 4290 to this day.

The Harry Hill Show remains near perfect to this day, but I stumbled over a couple of Fast Shows the other week and it sags horribly these days.

zomgmouse

Quote from: ArtParrott on February 13, 2019, 02:49:38 PM
Always Sunny didn't work at all for me.

Me too, though I didn't give it half as much of a chance as you did - a friend of mine kept raving about it so I thought I'd try it but I found it vastly unpleasant in the first scenes of the first episode sitting at the cafe and just turned it off thinking it wasn't for me. Then another friend years later showed me another couple of episodes and I thought "this is really funny" and then started watching again from the start and was absolutely hooked. It's so good!

Ferris

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 16, 2019, 11:46:30 PM
Me too, though I didn't give it half as much of a chance as you did - a friend of mine kept raving about it so I thought I'd try it but I found it vastly unpleasant in the first scenes of the first episode sitting at the cafe and just turned it off thinking it wasn't for me. Then another friend years later showed me another couple of episodes and I thought "this is really funny" and then started watching again from the start and was absolutely hooked. It's so good!

*spoilers*

I wasn't sure about it, until the scene with Mac talking to his gym teacher in super short shorts and getting him to agree that the McPoyles were "yeah nothing special" because Mac was jealous at not having an inappropriate pass made at him when he was a child. Made me laugh so much I decided this show was for me at it's sheer balls at the audacity of the gag.

ArtParrott

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 16, 2019, 11:58:43 PM
*spoilers*

I wasn't sure about it, until the scene with Mac talking to his gym teacher in super short shorts and getting him to agree that the McPoyles were "yeah nothing special" because Mac was jealous at not having an inappropriate pass made at him when he was a child. Made me laugh so much I decided this show was for me at it's sheer balls at the audacity of the gag.

And that gym teacher is none other than Saved by the Bell's Mr Belding.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Alberon on February 15, 2019, 06:55:29 PM
I remember watching the first series of both The Fast Show and The Harry Hill Show and just not getting either. "This is meant to be funny?" and "It's just the same sketch again!" were common thoughts. Then I started to get them and I'm still quoting Clown 4290 to this day.

The Harry Hill Show remains near perfect to this day, but I stumbled over a couple of Fast Shows the other week and it sags horribly these days.

i really tried to like the Fast Show and couldn't for the same reason. aside forbthe Ted and Ralph story which i loved there wasn't enough  changed  when a sketch came back around. Scorchio made me laugh the first time but they mught as well have played the exact same clip in every other episode

Clownbaby

i've been trying to see if I can do a U-Turn on Rick And Morty but it doesn't look promising. There's somethhing about the voice acting i don't like. The humour doesn't feel as smart and original to me as everyone else seems to think it is. It's not bad at all but I'm just failing to see what is so special about it either. Nah. I still don't care for Rick and Morty. I have the same thing with South Park. I understand that they are well loved but I just can't love them and they don't tickle me.

Ferris

Both Rick and Morty and Adventure Time leave me cold. I just don't get it.

Cartoons for people who browse reddit.

Chollis

Rick and Morty is alright and something I feel I should give another shot. Just can't be arsed.

Blinder Data

How much of is the 'u-turn' related to a show growing a beard?

I bet if I watched the first season of It's Always Sunny, I would struggle. Likewise I didn't really get on with the first few eps of Rick and Morty but soon it became one of the most inventive programmes I'd ever seen - the ideas it packs into its runtime is astonishing. Of course there are Reddit bellwhiffs among its fanbase, but don't write it off because of them.

I guess I performed a sort of u-turn on Bojack Horseman. I watched the first season and some of the second and couldn't see what everyone was raving about. Now I understand its appeal. I still think many of its jokes are pretty corny and I rarely laugh, and I think it takes liberties with the characters and storylines, but the last season was something special.

BeardFaceMan

I didn't like David Mitchell at all and found him borderline unwatchable until he grew a beard. True story.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Alberon on February 15, 2019, 06:55:29 PM

Agree strongly with the first paragraph of this. Exactly my experience. Can't agree with the second paragraph. Fast Show still brilliant. Haven't see the Harry Hill show since the 90s due to it's relative unavailability.

Utter Shit

Interesting that Blinder Data's link reckons Seinfeld gets good in season 2 or 3 - the feedback I've read on here over the years has generally suggested that it's good straight away but takes a while to really understand the characters, rather than it just starting slowly. The episodes I've watched (probably half of the first season at a guess) I sort-of enjoyed but wasn't that bothered about, so maybe I should try a few later episodes?

BeardFaceMan

I found the first three seasons of Seinfeld to be good and it got great in season 4 when they started doing the meta stuff about writing a sitcom, thats when it all clicked into place for me.