Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doing a total U-Turn on some shows

Started by Clownbaby, February 13, 2019, 10:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

Yeah I read stuff about it really kicking into gear around season 3 and especially season 4 so I started watching it from somewhere around there.

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 18, 2019, 04:54:17 PM
Interesting that Blinder Data's link reckons Seinfeld gets good in season 2 or 3 - the feedback I've read on here over the years has generally suggested that it's good straight away but takes a while to really understand the characters, rather than it just starting slowly. The episodes I've watched (probably half of the first season at a guess) I sort-of enjoyed but wasn't that bothered about, so maybe I should try a few later episodes?

Some of the later episodes are amazing. The final season is just banger after banger. Well worth getting past the slower first season or 2. By the time they get to season 4, they are flying.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on February 18, 2019, 05:26:29 PM
Yeah I read stuff about it really kicking into gear around season 3 and especially season 4 so I started watching it from somewhere around there.

While we're on the subject, I always thought your avatar was Kramer. Looking closer, I see that isn't the case. Very observant, me.

lankyguy95

The Contest (episode 11 of season 4) is the point where I realised I fucking loved the show.

Clownbaby

I think the thing that made me go from ambivalent to loving Seinfeld was simply getting to know the characters and their rhythms, then the way they reacted to things that happened was charming and not irritating. That's when it changed from "just a bunch of twats" to "I relate to and understand these twats"

Clownbaby

I was just thinking I should maybe stop watching Seinfeld right before bed because Kramer keeps appearing in all my dreams like some sor of twitching dream cockerel-man

he is never a malevolent prescence in my dreams but I'm just getting a bit sick of it you know

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 18, 2019, 06:44:50 PM
I was just thinking I should maybe stop watching Seinfeld right before bed because Kramer keeps appearing in all my dreams like some sor of twitching dream cockerel-man

he is never a malevolent prescence in my dreams but I'm just getting a bit sick of it you know

Michael Richards is also getting a bit sick of having to turn up in your dreams.

DrGreggles

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 18, 2019, 07:30:54 PM
Michael Richards is also getting a bit sick of having to turn up in your dreams.

He's probably glad of the work.

St_Eddie

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 18, 2019, 07:40:49 PM
He's probably glad of the work.

He's even more glad that he's only turning up in the dreams of white people.

purlieu

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 18, 2019, 04:54:17 PM
Interesting that Blinder Data's link reckons Seinfeld gets good in season 2 or 3 - the feedback I've read on here over the years has generally suggested that it's good straight away but takes a while to really understand the characters, rather than it just starting slowly. The episodes I've watched (probably half of the first season at a guess) I sort-of enjoyed but wasn't that bothered about, so maybe I should try a few later episodes?
The first two seasons are good but feel like a different show to everything that came after: they're more rambling and fit the "show about nothing" idea, while starting in the third season the plotting becomes tighter (with multiple plot strands fitting each other brilliantly) and the characters become more neurotic. Seasons four to six are about as close to perfection as a sitcom has ever been. However, there are a couple of recurring character and plot points from the first two seasons that appear later on and require your knowledge of them to find really funny, so watching the entire thing in order definitely benefits you. Those first two are fairly short so you can get through them quite quickly, and also really appreciate the growth of the show too, which would be my recommendation. But if you really don't feel like that then skip to the third season.

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 18, 2019, 10:15:13 AM
i really tried to like the Fast Show and couldn't for the same reason. aside forbthe Ted and Ralph story which i loved there wasn't enough  changed  when a sketch came back around. Scorchio made me laugh the first time but they mught as well have played the exact same clip in every other episode
There's definitely an element of this (particularly with some of the one-note characters: Arabella Weir's are usually quite poor), but watched in order, there's a lot of variation and playing with the format which makes it worthwhile for me.

Cuellar

I used to hate Big Train as a child. Thought it didn't understand the sketch show format, the paragon of which for me was The Fast Show: the sketches went on too long and they kept repeating the punchlines. Didn't make sense to me.

Completely reversed my opinion when I was about 17/18 and still love Big Train to pieces.