Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:19:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Direct Feb 2019

Started by The Boston Crab, February 13, 2019, 07:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Bye Switch. Spunked hundreds of pounds on downloads but I can always buy them back for 4p on an adult's console.

Kelvin

FUCK. YES.

Top down Zelda, with gorgeous art, love it. Never played that one, either, so I'm totally fine with it being a modern remake of a game from 20 years ago.

I didn't think they did a good job showing Fire Emblem. Far too much focus on the training school, not enough about the actual combat or conflicts.

I also thought it was obvious that the graphical gap between Switch games and the other consoles is just getting bigger and bigger. Mario Maker, Zelda and Daemon Ex aside, they all looked badly dated.

Overall, I was happy with it, though. 4-5 games I know I want, and a few others I'm curious about.

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 10:17:03 PM
Remake after port after remake. Annoying.

Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion, Daemon Ex Machina, Yoshi, Astral Plain, and Fire Emblem are not ports or remakes.

You might not be interested in those games, but they're all new games in their series.

Timothy

Mario Maker "2".

Luigi wasnt in the Direct was it?

Timothy

Shit sorry to be Debbie Downer but extremely disappointed

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 10:41:12 PM
Luigi wasnt in the Direct was it?

No, I actually wrote that post when you first wrote yours, and only posted it at the end. Scrap that game, as we still don't know for certain it's out this year.

I still think you're talking out your arse about no new games. Mario Maker, Daemon X, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, and Astral Plain are all new games from Nintendo or one of their associated teams. Zelda is a remake of a game from over 20 years ago, not just a quick port from the Wii U. I presume we also still have Pokemon, but they never show those games in Directs like this.

You might not like those games, you might think they look bad, or they aren't your thing. But "no new games" is simply not true. I do have a lot of question marks about those games, but they are new experiences.

madhair60

Visceral negative reaction to Link's Awakening. That's my favourite Zelda. How dare they fucking touch it.

That said, I will play Mario Maker 2 for five full years.

Kelvin

I've never played it, and probably never would without the remake - due to it being on Gameboy. Plus, I love the art style, so I was really pleased to see it.

madhair60

It will doubtless be great. I'm just so attached to the original that any chance is an AFFRONT. But it will definitely be great.

- Mario Maker 2

- Link

- Yoshi

- New Captain Toad

I'm satisfied

Kelvin

Oh, and Animal Crossing too.

That's 7-8 new Nintendo (or Nintendo published) games this year. I honestly think I'm interested in twice as many games this year as in year one. It just doesn't have the massive tent poles like BOTW or Mario Odyssey.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on February 13, 2019, 10:59:20 PM
Oh, and Animal Crossing too.
What are you talking about Animal Crossing has already been infamous for eight years for not being the Nintendo Direct that just aired ten minutes ago

brat-sampson

Thanks to Michael Damiani from Easy Allies for pointing out what the Link's Awakening artstyle reminds him of. (It's a Japanese ad for the original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trl0cvBFgCk

Never coming back here again and I really mean it this time. Burning the pub down and drinking it dry til my bones are charred dust just to spite some people in this thread

Timothy

Hey mate I apologized for my immediate reaction to the Direct. Was just disappointed. No Animal Crossing or Pikmin or Metroid or Pokemon does that with a Nintendo fan.

Twed and Kelvin are right. Mario Maker is cool and Toad DLC awesome. And that 8 bit part of Dragon Quest looked dope.

Was just hoping for more new new games thats all.

That AC3 port for example is not necessary imo

Timothy

Would be cool if that Zelda remake leads to a Zelda Maker next year.

brat-sampson

AC3 is trash, but Maker 2 and Awakening Remake both look like utterly brilliant games. I haven't played Awakening since I was a wean, so will probably go back in. I'm not fussed about FE and still think it was a decent direct. It didn't show anything like Animal Crossing or Pokemon but we know they're both coming this year anyway, and Metroid just got reset, so would be surprised to see anything on that even this year. At least they managed expectations with that earlier video.

madhair60

AC3 is a really interesting and ambitious game imo and I'll be quite delighted to have it on handheld. It's not Mario Maker 2 which is going to fucking erode my life and time, but I will play it.

Twed

It looked like absolute turd, to be fair. And the car game (Grid?) had some shocking slowdown. Why would you choose those bits for the trailer? Show a smooth bit, and also don't release the game like that.

madhair60

Kelvin

That art style is the only thing that will make me play a baby game like Zelda.

Twed

Ignoring the graphical style, I challenge you not to enjoy this version of the theme with recorders or whatever: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1095814006298750977

Kelvin

Zelda is the greatest thing ever conceived of by the human mind, just to be clear.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on February 14, 2019, 12:04:03 AM
Zelda is the greatest thing ever conceived of by the human mind, just to be clear.

What about Fake Taxi?

colacentral

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 10:43:22 PM
Shit sorry to be Debbie Downer but extremely disappointed

No you're not, you're delighted.

The main thing I'd want from a Mario Maker sequel is a world builder - the ability to create an overworld map with multiple levels and an ending. That would give more purpose to collecting coins and it would incentivise ramping up the difficulty rather than just trolling with ridiculous stuff right off the bat, and I think it would lead to some really creative, cool stuff. I think having your own worlds would lead people to design them as real games rather than doing lots of one and done piss take levels.

Kelvin

Nah, I've been there. I was very disappointed by their initial Switch conference, and I got some stick about it on here, too. Sometimes these things just don't tick the boxes you need ticking.

Mango Chimes

Hmm. I love that art style, but it being for Link's Awakening sits weirdly with me. That game has an incredible atmosphere, and it left a huge impression on me (especially the ending!), and changing it from low-res GameBoy green monochrome to this bright colourful world where everything looks like cute little wooden toys... I don't know.

That "26 years ago" did add a thematically appropriate touch of discomfort and melancholy, though. The Legend Of Zelda: Dead Soon.

Twed

The Legend of Zelda: You've Got Two More Periods of Time of This Length Before You're Dead

Timothy

Quote from: Kelvin on February 14, 2019, 12:52:43 AM
Nah, I've been there. I was very disappointed by their initial Switch conference, and I got some stick about it on here, too. Sometimes these things just don't tick the boxes you need ticking.

In hindsight they should have released Oddysey last year instead of 2017. That would have made one steller GOTY each year. 2018 wasnt the year of the Switch.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on February 14, 2019, 08:44:45 AM
In hindsight they should have released Oddysey last year instead of 2017. That would have made one steller GOTY each year. 2018 wasnt the year of the Switch.

Well, Smash was their big game last year, and it's already sold better than Odyssey and botw, I think.

I agree it was a sparse year last year, though. I got by on the Indies and 3rd party games  but I definitely felt the lack of new, quality AAA games mid year.

Timothy

Yeah, true.

Truth be told if Dragon Quest would have been Switch exclusive I would also have been over the moon.

Anyone tried the Yoshi demo yet?