Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Direct Feb 2019

Started by The Boston Crab, February 13, 2019, 07:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Nah. Shooting eggs into the z-axis of the screen looks too boring to do even for free.

Kelvin

I've downloaded yoshi, tetris 99, and Daemon X (which i thought looked much better, last night). Ill post my thoughts on them when I get home and have a chance to play them.

Mango Chimes

Likewise. Although I've not got high hopes for Yoshi – I barely played Wooly World. The legacy of Yoshi's Island has been such a disappointment.

madhair60

Tried Yoshi it's good. It's not Yoshi's Island (nothing has ever matched it) but it's good. I liked the 3DS one a lot though so pinch of salt eh.

Timothy

Finished Yoshi demo. Its alright. Not worth fullcprice for me but fun for 30 euros or so.

Thursday

I've been curious to try Fire Emblem, because it seems a bit like Xcom... but it does look a bit too anime tit game. I mean I like Persona games and other anime things... but ick.

It's basically just high-budget cunt wars.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on February 14, 2019, 05:57:03 PM
I've been curious to try Fire Emblem, because it seems a bit like Xcom... but it does look a bit too anime tit game. I mean I like Persona games and other anime things... but ick.

Maybe I'm an awful sexist, or maybe I've just gone full gay, but I honestly didn't notice there being a lot of boobs in it. It just looked like a dull Harry Potter game with really ugly combat sequences. I wish they'd gone all out on a more cartoony art style for the landscapes.

I do want to try a Fire Emblem game, though - they always review well - so I still think I'll give it a try, regardless. 

Thursday

Yeah, it's more just that it looks really cheesy.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on February 14, 2019, 06:26:30 PM
Yeah, it's more just that it looks really cheesy.

Yeah, I think that's definitely a staple of the series. Very earnest and proper. 

robotam

Tetris99 is nice and stressful. I've came second twice, but the person coming first is usually a fucking beast.

buntyman

Yeah can't wait to give that a go. What an excellent idea. I hope they flesh it out into a full game like the brilliant Tetris DS. That Zelda game looks great too

Twed

Phil_A

Quote from: Thursday on February 14, 2019, 05:57:03 PM

The two Fire Emblem games on the GBA were excellent, I realise that might not be much help three generations later. But I do know It's not a series aimed at anime titty perverts on the whole.

Consignia

Tetris 99 is ace. It's a shame it'll only have a limited shelf life, and it could do with a bit of polish. But Tetris is Teris.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on February 14, 2019, 08:18:46 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/aqiful/an_update_to_the_exclusives_list_after_last/

This image paints 2019 in quite a good light:

Also suggests the first half of the year is fairly sparse, with a busy 2nd half.

Played the demos. Yoshi was okay, I liked the way the mission centered around the train, and playing the level again backwards worked better than I expected... but it's very, very easy, and honestly quite plodding next to Woolly World and the superlative original game. The biggest problem, though, was the mechanic allowing you to walk into and out of the backgrounds.

In the backwards level especially, I had several places where I couldn't tell if I was able to move through a door or what plane of perspective something was on, making collecting items, aiming and avoiding enemies slightly harder than it needed to be. Not a big issue, but a bit odd, considering that's the game's big mechanic. At least aiming works well, and benefits from an auto aim - although again, this made the game feel too easy, really. I also thought the graphics were a bit disappointing, with the backgrounds looking quite jagged. Anyway, it pretty much confirmed I won't be buying it - certainly not at full price, anyway.         

As for Daemon X, I thought it was good fun, but still needs polish. Reminded me a lot of the Rogue Squadron games, actually, but with really obnoxious characters constantly yammering away over the action. The mechs control well and the combat was fun and arcadey. It didn't run all that smoothly, though, and the story/cut-scenes/dialogue/characters all seem pretty dull and annoying. I did enjoy the core gameplay, though, so I think it will depend on reviews and, bluntly, the price point, as to whether I get this at launch or not. It's not gonna change anyone's life, but it would be a fun way to spend a week or two, from what I can tell.   

Mango Chimes

I agree on those. It breaks my heart they've decided Yoshi is a Ceebeebies platformer series, because it just makes it a bit worthless.  It feels like Kirby, and I don't understand who these games are for – when I was a kid I'd play much tougher stuff than I'd bother with now, so it's not like children need crazy easy games just for them.

And the aesthetic is a bit off – it's a cloth Yoshi, in tilt-shift cardboard Micro Machines land, with shiny metal coins floating about. The 3D aiming stuff is very clever and feels very Nintendo, but the moving back and forth is a bit clunky.

Daemon X Machina is fucking weird, in that I think there's a game in there that I could really enjoy, but it feels almost pointedly aimed away from me too. It's a mixture of really simple intuitive arcade gameplay and overcomplicated bollocks.

I'm slightly unsure about the controls (having to press analogue sticks in is always horrible, the moreso for a common action where the opposite action is a simple button press) but much less so than I was expecting, and I'm not entirely sure what is going on all the time, but the small set of actions is to my liking, it doesn't feel unweildy and the lock-on system is good. And I like the look of it.

But then there's a lot of superfluous stuff. The first thing you are asked to do is design a character, with a lot of different options... And you never see the character in play! They only appear in a weird hub area, which in itself just gets in the way because you have to walk to a thing and then go through an unnecessarily convoluted menu system to get to the next level. It's a total waste of time.

The levels continue after completion, with you doing nothing for 90 seconds unless you press a skip button. I just played the second level, where some massive baddies appear, and I'm busy trying to target it's arm with it having no effect for a few minutes... before a cut scene has two new good guys (?) appear and kill them for me, before dumping me back in the finished level with nothing to do.

I don't usually play this sort of thing, so are these common Japanese Robot Sim tropes or something? Concentrate on the gameplay and it's actually a promising game.

touchingcloth

They should have a player/character called Mar Io.

I'm hoping Crafted World gets harder later on. Woolly World was never a hardcore platformer but it put up a bit more of a fight than this. As said above, there's an almost Kirby-like lack of challenge here.

Will wait for reviews.

Kelvin

Woolly world was easy, but it ramped up if you tried to 100% each level. I used to try and get a good score on each level before moving on, rather than just blasting through each level. It's pretty clear from the demo that this will be the case in the new one, too.

Mango Chimes

Yeah, but replaying levels to hunt down background cutouts of cows doesn't seem like the most fun.

Tetris 99 is fun, because it's Tetris. Well, it's modern Tetris, with its stupid tension breaking endless-reposition and block-hold rules.

I'm not sure there's much longevity in it. Hard dropping hundreds of blocks like a veteren doesn't seem to give much of a ranking advantage versus just leisurely letting about a dozen blocks fall in their own time.

That's so obviously wrong I don't know why you even wrote it. It requires significant strategy beyond even the ability to play high level Tetris.

Mango Chimes

Just played a game where I pressed nothing but left and right. Didn't rotate a block, just let them fall. 30/99.

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Phil_A on February 14, 2019, 08:40:02 PM
The two Fire Emblem games on the GBA were excellent, I realise that might not be much help three generations later. But I do know It's not a series aimed at anime titty perverts on the whole.
Everything pre-Awakening is great in this regard, unfortunately one of your sisters in the last game is 40% titties. The rub your Pokemon's face feature from the 3DS Pokémon games is also a feature in the Japanese version of the last game. It's removal from the localized versions of the game was actually a big issue for a surprising number of massive creeps

Twed

I didn't realise that the FFIV port is already out.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on February 17, 2019, 01:42:08 AM
I didn't realise that the FFIV port is already out.

It's 9 that's out, isn't it? Or is that what you meant?

Twed

Yep, meant to write FFIX. Small brain.

Twed

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 15, 2019, 02:32:30 PMI'm not sure there's much longevity in it.

I have since played Tetris 99 for three thousand hours.

buntyman

What's your win rate per thousand hours?