Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kindle

Started by Emma Raducanu, February 13, 2019, 10:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

What are people's experience of kindle? I got one for Christmas and have just unwrapped it.

Are kindle books generally good value verus paperback or is Kindle a load of old shite?

touchingcloth

I have always been one of those luddites who talks about how the experience of an e-reader doesn't match that of a paper book (and I still am), but when I moved house and had all of my books in storage I bought myself a Kindle. It's dead good. I've never paid for a book on it and tend to just pirate copies of books I already own or have bought in a charity shop since I still like to have the physical thing. The best thing about it is you can download an e-book in less than a second, and then email it to the Kindle so you don't need to faff with cables. It's particularly good for travelling as I used to pack two or more books with me which is a pain in the arse.

Twed

touchingcloth is right. It's cheaper because you can steal.

Books are nicer, but e-ink does make reading digital stuff less miserable.

touchingcloth

I think new releases are slightly cheaper than the hard copies (8.50 rather than 9.99 kind of thing - I've never actually bought one), and if you don't want to thieve then the Amazon store has a lot of free books if you want to go back to Victorian authors and earlier.

Ferris

Found mine in a draw from 2011 - charged it up, still works great and got a load of books on there. Easier than lugging a load of books around.

imitationleather

It's absolutely banging for pirating stuff, but you still need some physical books lying around your gaffe otherwise people will think you can't read.

Emma Raducanu

Where are people pirating from? I just spent a tenner on Amazon and feel dirty. But yeh, seems pretty good so far.

imitationleather

Quote from: DolphinFace on February 13, 2019, 10:58:22 PM
Where are people pirating from? I just spent a tenner on Amazon and feel dirty. But yeh, seems pretty good so far.

Google the book title you're after and .mobi. Get a copy of a program called Calibre to make it all ship-shape for Kindle and you're flying.

Paying for eBooks feels seriously weird. I've had a Kindle for years now and it has never stopped feeling odd. Amazon I think has cottoned on to that most people feel this way and is trying to establish a kind of Spotify for eBooks, but the selection is nearly all shit I'd never want to read so it's far more like the Netflix for eBooks at the moment.

Twed

Quote from: imitationleather on February 13, 2019, 11:18:11 PM
Google the book title you're after and .mobi.
"mobi dick.moby"

0 results

touchingcloth

Quote from: DolphinFace on February 13, 2019, 10:58:22 PM

Plus one for the title + mobi search, though using "epub" instead of mobi works equally well if not better for some titles. Kindles understand mobi files natively, but using Calibre (+1 to that recommendation from imitationleather) epub files get converted to mobi when you email them to your device so it makes no odds. AZW3 files are the properly native Kindle files, but they're tougher to come by and don't offer any benefits so far as I can see.

LibGen is my go to place before I head to google - http://gen.lib.rus.ec/. Pop an author or title in the search box and look for epub results. Kindle's read PDF files, but you'll soon come to realise that they're shite, mainly because they display fitted to your device's screen and you can't zoom the text back to a comfortable level.

Emma Raducanu

Has anyone used mobilism? I joined, downloaded a book and ravaged my computer with a load of shit I've been deleting ever since. Had all the books mind..

I'll check out what's been mentioned

ToneLa

https://b-ok.org for the book, https://ebook.online-convert.com to make it a mobi, then email the mobi to my kindle's address.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2019, 12:02:18 AMAZW3 files are the properly native Kindle files, but they're tougher to come by and don't offer any benefits so far as I can see.

I think on my Kindle Paperwhite azw3 files allow you to customise the font weight, whilst mobi files don't. Possibly there are other advantages as well, but that's the only one I've noticed.

You can't email azw3 files to the Kindle, though, you have to copy them onto it via USB.

Jobey

I'm on my 4th kindle cos they are weak as fuck. Probably intentional.
Already scratched one I've had for two months and now the screen has horrible marks and glare.
Absolutely great though.

Twed

Do you use a cover?

Still got my keyboard one from 2010 with an Amazon leather cover. It's kept it nice for all these years although it does add a fair amount of bulk.

Still holding off upgrading, even though the new ones are better in every conceivable way. Hoping that this years update will have a warmer backlight and then I might take the plunge. Don't want that blue light when I'm reading at bedtime.

Jobey

Quote from: Twed on February 14, 2019, 02:31:54 PM
Do you use a cover?

Yeah, but all it takes is me dropping my keys on the screen and it's fucked.
I dropped another and the screen cracked and was unusable.
They are not built to last in my experience.

olliebean

Quote from: Jobey on February 14, 2019, 03:03:17 PM
Yeah, but all it takes is me dropping my keys on the screen and it's fucked.
I dropped another and the screen cracked and was unusable.
They are not built to last in my experience.

Well not if you keep dropping them or dropping things onto them, no.

Jobey

Ferris

Jobey

Yeah if you want one

ToneLa

My last one got a screen dent that fucked it and I complained and got fifty bar off the new one!

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on February 14, 2019, 11:49:11 AM
I think on my Kindle Paperwhite azw3 files allow you to customise the font weight, whilst mobi files don't. Possibly there are other advantages as well, but that's the only one I've noticed.

You can't email azw3 files to the Kindle, though, you have to copy them onto it via USB.

That might be the reason why I've forgotten that I never bother to look for them any more. It does the X Ray thing with AZW3 files, but I don't really know what that's for and I've never missed it. The font weight is fine for me, I'll take the standard over having to use cables, ta.

ToneLa

? my pirated mobi files, I can change the font, size etc. just fine...

touchingcloth

I can change the font and size, but not sure I've ever been able to change the weight (which I assume means making the characters thicker rather than just bigger overall). I can definitely change the size, though, which is the main thing to me for readability.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2019, 09:25:00 PM
That might be the reason why I've forgotten that I never bother to look for them any more. It does the X Ray thing with AZW3 files, but I don't really know what that's for and I've never missed it. The font weight is fine for me, I'll take the standard over having to use cables, ta.

I saw somewhere that if you set Calibre to convert to the new mobi format it has similar advantages to azw3 but can also be emailed to the newer Kindles. Haven't got around to trying it yet, though. The last book I converted from epub had a custom font that put the whole text in italics, so I was quite glad to lose that with the conversion to old-format mobi.

touchingcloth

I use Calibre to convert epubs to mobi, and when they're on my Kindle (gen 1 Paperwhite, I think) I can embiggen and ensmallen text, choose a font, navigate through chapters and set bookmarks. That's all I need, so I'm happy.

TIAL

I love my Kindle and the e-ink really does look like it's printed on paper.

Another useful thing I love is the integration with Instapaper. If I see a long-read article on the web that I want to save for later, I can just click the Instapaper browser extension and it sends the article to my Kindle.

ToneLa

I love the new one, I read it in the bath, drinking wine, because I'm like that. Drop it in the bath? No worries. Also, got no ingrained bezel corners to collect dust or hair either; the screen is under the top layer of whatever transparent stuff they're using (it ain't glass)

Sebastian Cobb

I got a nook when they were 30 quid. Rooted it and put kindle app on it, but I still tend to convert with calibre. I only use it for stuff out of copyright mostly, just buy books for pennies from abebooks mostly.