Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kindle

Started by Emma Raducanu, February 13, 2019, 10:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 18, 2019, 07:16:21 PM
I love my Kobo, it'll handle whatever you throw at it. Anyone else use libgen.io?

libgen is great!

mothman

Just remembered my Keyboard was the 3G model. Didn't actually use that feature all that much.

Quote from: ToneLa on February 17, 2019, 11:20:16 PM
Just get the new waterproof Paperwhite, it's basically most of the Voyage's features and waterproof, but no extra physical buttons

I worry about the glare though.

Ferris

touchingcloth

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 18, 2019, 07:16:21 PM
I love my Kobo, it'll handle whatever you throw at it. Anyone else use libgen.io?

Yep! I mentioned it upthread. I need to use a VPN to access it because Virgin block them, but it's always the first place I check before scouring any harder.

touchingcloth

hermitical

Very kind but no need! Glad it worked out.

There's a few other sites if you go up a level:

https://unblocked.cx/

Z

That libgen site is a bit confusing, how do you search for non-fiction on it?

imitationleather

Is it just me or is LibGen down? Probably bloody BT blocking it or something. A shame because it was so good I had taken a solemn vow to never buy a fucking book ever again.

EDIT: http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ works for me incase anyone else is having this problem.

ToneLa

Quote from: imitationleather on February 22, 2019, 10:25:09 PM
Is it just me or is LibGen down? Probably bloody BT blocking it or something. A shame because it was so good I had taken a solemn vow to never buy a fucking book ever again.

EDIT: http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ works for me incase anyone else is having this problem.

A link to CUNTS

studpuppet

One of the sites on hermetical's unblocked list is reachable (and more search-friendly than libgen):

http://www.ebook3000.com

Annoying NSFW popups though.

ToneLa

So it is! So it has!

b-ok.org is still my fav but the more liberry links the better

(I do know how to get around VM shite but feel it's worth mentioning what's auto-blocked by ISPs)

timebug

Never went for Kindle,as most of the free ebooks I found online,were in epub format.So I started with a Sony Reader which was great for almost ten years, before it failed and went on to be a lump of plastic and metal! Then I went to Kobo,and having buggered up the first one by hacking into it to 'improve' stuff, I am happily on my second Kobo. I got one for my grandaughter too and she loves it! But not as much as I do.

Z

Quote from: timebug on February 23, 2019, 10:08:14 AM
Then I went to Kobo,and having buggered up the first one by hacking into it to 'improve' stuff, I am happily on my second Kobo.
I _think_ the nooks are generallly more hackable (they are basically just android tablet). Have heard about some performance issues but the Glowlight 3 runs Android 4 under the hood which means a LOT of apps with older versions should run on it.
That being said I'll either get a Kobo or Kindle next time.

As far as kindle is concerned, there are apps that convert epubs to being kindle friendly I believe, Calibre for one?

ToneLa

touchingcloth

Quote from: Z on February 23, 2019, 10:55:50 AM
As far as kindle is concerned, there are apps that convert epubs to being kindle friendly I believe, Calibre for one?

Calibre does it, and works excellently well. I used to use sites like the one ToneLa linked to, and I'd download an ePub, convert it to mobi and then email the mobi to my Kindle, but Calibre has a "convert and send" button, so it removes a few steps.

imitationleather

Killing For Company, the book about the man, the myth, the legend that was Dennis Nilsen is seemingly entirely unavailable in ePub or mobi. Salacious. I guess I may have to do what I used to back in the day before all these search engines which was buy it off Amazon, remove the DRM in Calibre and then return the original ebook for a refund. (And then submit the receipt as expenses when I had a book allowance grant at university due to being from a council estate.) Effort.

touchingcloth

Quote from: imitationleather on February 23, 2019, 04:44:20 PM
Killing For Company, the book about the man, the myth, the legend that was Dennis Nilsen is seemingly entirely unavailable in ePub or mobi. Salacious. I guess I may have to do what I used to back in the day before all these search engines which was buy it off Amazon, remove the DRM in Calibre and then return the original ebook for a refund. (And then submit the receipt as expenses when I had a book allowance grant at university due to being from a council estate.) Effort.

Isn't that a serial killer? I thought. No, it must be a footballer, or a singer, or the goose neck kettle inventor or someone with a similar name, I assumed. But no, it's the serial killer. Sick.

imitationleather

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 23, 2019, 10:54:30 PM
Isn't that a serial killer? I thought. No, it must be a footballer, or a singer, or the goose neck kettle inventor or someone with a similar name, I assumed. But no, it's the serial killer. Sick.

If you make light of goose neck kettles again I will track you down and cave your fucking skull in.

Yes it's about the serial killer. The writer has also done books about the top lads Jeffrey Dahmer, Rose West and the Queen.

BritishHobo

Quote from: chveik on February 16, 2019, 10:33:20 PM
I go to public libraries or I buy second-hand books. it's not that difficult, and it's much more pleasant.

But on a course where thirty or forty people need the book and the library only has a few copies?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: imitationleather on February 23, 2019, 10:59:23 PM
If you make light of goose neck kettles again I will track you down and cave your fucking skull in.

I had to google this:

gorgeous, & I want one, but utterly pointless in london with its klarty watter with all bits in it. I'd need an amazon subscription for pipe-cleaners.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ToneLa on February 22, 2019, 10:30:38 PM
A link to CUNTS

Use something like Zenmate or Opera with it's inbuilt vpn.

imitationleather

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 02, 2019, 06:03:16 PM
I had to google this:

gorgeous, & I want one, but utterly pointless in london with its klarty watter with all bits in it. I'd need an amazon subscription for pipe-cleaners.

When I lived in London I used to buy Waitrose bottled water to make coffee with.

I'm still working class, though. No one is ever telling me I am not working class.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on February 23, 2019, 10:59:23 PM

Kettles are a zero-sum game functionally. Even the cheap shit ones are more-or-less 100% efficient and do the job of making water boil. Pointless.

Toasters though, I'll defend getting a dualit to the hilt.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 08, 2019, 11:28:41 PM
Kettles are a zero-sum game functionally. Even the cheap shit ones are more-or-less 100% efficient and do the job of making water boil. Pointless.

Toasters though, I'll defend getting a dualit to the hilt.

This is simply untrue. If you're preparing yourself a hench filter coffee with freshly ground beans mmm-hmm you want the exact right temperature and a sleek sexy gooseneck so that water pours out right.

If all you're shotting is Nescafe or drinking tea then yes don't use a gooseneck kettle. I have a normal kettle for that (and I also use it to boil up water to warm up the chemex prior to brewing coffee, yes preparing coffee requires the use of two kettles it is true I've not just bought into a load of lies sold to me by kettle companies).

Sebastian Cobb

Normal cheapo morrisons savers kettle. Wait 10 seconds before pouring it into the aeropress.

Alternatively mix a little cold water into your freshly ground beans; I have a bodum burr grinder and get 'columbian dark' beans from Thompsons coffee roasters. Don't bring it.

imitationleather

Yeah fair enough you don't require a gooseneck kettle for an Aeropress, that'd be absurd. It's only really necessary for a chemex or V60, and even then only if you're taking it very seriously or trying to fill some void in your soul.

At least I've not bought one of the fancy automatic pouring kettles that sprinkles the water around in a pattern set to a timer and costs about £500. At least I've not done that.

QDRPHNC

I had a Chemex and it was shit.

Actually, technically still have it. It's in a binbag.

Ferris

I misread this and thought people were having chemsex in bin bags.

I thought "crikey the kindle thread has gone on a tangent". I see now it's about middle class coffee machines which seems a little bit more on-brand.

QDRPHNC

If you want the Chemex, just ask.