Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:19:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things That Make You Feel Old

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 13, 2019, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Although 21 years ago it was shipping DVDs through the post like your Great-Grandad did to make money during the war. It would be upsetting if it was HD streaming 21 years ago.

I wonder what a YOUNG ADULT would think about being old enough not only to remember when YouTube wasn't a thing, but to remember when the Internet wasn't a thing that most people had used.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pingers on February 15, 2019, 09:04:53 PM
I work with some proper young 'uns. We were talking about millennium eve the other day and one said "I've got a really clear memory of that. I was five". Silence.

And then things like "Twin Peaks? What's that?" or not knowing what an A-Z is. My partner had a social work student on placement and had to show her where a stamp goes on an envelope.

Dead very soon.

Does the stamp have to go in the place we're all told to put it? I've always put it at the top right on the rear of the envelope, but I often wonder what would happen if I just placed it somewhere completely crazy and random.

Twed

I was born in 1984 and I'd hazard that most of my contemporaries do not know much about Twin Peaks, if they're aware of it at all.

seepage

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 17, 2019, 04:37:34 PM
Does the stamp have to go in the place we're all told to put it? I've always put it at the top right on the rear of the envelope, but I often wonder what would happen if I just placed it somewhere completely crazy and random.

You could try inside the envelope.

ToneLa

The MP3 is over a quarter of a century old!!

touchingcloth

Quote from: seepage on February 17, 2019, 04:50:16 PM
You could try inside the envelope.

Sorry, that is where I put it - the inside of the rear at the top right as you look at it from the front of the rear, if that makes sense. The scanners pick it up more easily when it doesn't get blocked by the contents apparently.

Twed

Quote from: ToneLa on February 17, 2019, 04:50:45 PM
The MP3 is over a quarter of a century old!!
The really confusing thing is that the MP3 ToneLa is talking about is Despacito.

Twed

The fact that Despacito is the most modern hit song I can come up with makes me feel old.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on February 17, 2019, 05:36:15 PM
The fact that Despacito is the most modern hit song I can come up with makes me feel old.

The fact that I've never heard of it and you're two years older than me makes me feel...conflicted? And old. So, so, so old.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on February 17, 2019, 03:35:38 PM
I was doing all right until I read this.
I have no problem with 1990 being a long time ago, but it does my nut it to think that the year 2000 is nearly twenty years ago ago. The current decade in particular seems to have gone by in the blink of an eye. 2010 was a hugely significant year for me, as I finally ended my extended unemployment and moved out of my parents' house. No single year since has been as big, so it's freaky to take stock and realise how much time has actually passed since then.

DrGreggles

It's my birthday in a few weeks.
I was asked on Friday night what I did to celebrate it last year.
Haven't got a fucking clue!
In fact, I can't remember any in the past decade.
I mean, I know I did something. I always do something.

seepage

^ that's why I never delete emails, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue either.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 17, 2019, 05:56:13 PM
I have no problem with 1990 being a long time ago, but it does my nut it to think that the year 2000 is nearly twenty years ago ago. The current decade in particular seems to have gone by in the blink of an eye. 2010 was a hugely significant year for me, as I finally ended my extended unemployment and moved out of my parents' house. No single year since has been as big, so it's freaky to take stock and realise how much time has actually passed since then.

My nut is constantly being done in by thinking of things in terms of their symmetry, as in the things where I think "'ang abahhht, the time between now and that event is as long as the time between the event and my own birth!"

The first thing of that kind I can remember were the September 11 attacks, which happened when I was 15 so when I turned 30 they became the exact midpoint of my life inspite of the fact that that event felt (and still feels) like yesterday, when the time between it and my birth feels like unfathomable aeons of time, simply an unimaginably vast period.

The last ones which made my head spin were the loss of Columbia and the final flight of Concorde (both 2003) being midpoints of my life, when I could have sworn to you, mate, sworn down, they both took place before the 11/9. Coming up soon will be starting at university being half a lifetime ago, and I'm not looking forward to that, not one bit.

touchingcloth

I don't know if this makes me feel old, young, or just plain ignant, but I've just read an article about Porsche threatening a 10% increase on car prices post-Brexit - a 10% increase which would take the cost of their entry level model to £105,000.

As someone who has only ever driven second hand bangers, that astonishes me. I'd always assumed that a fancy car was measured in the tens of thousands of pounds, so maybe 20K for a Porsche up to 50K for something like a Ferrari or that one Alan Sugar doesn't drive. 'Undred grand on a car - imagine that! Imagine spending that money on a car and not instantly realising your own futility and feeding yourself to the nearest pigs.

Twed

That is you being a bit out of the loop I think. An average new car must have been 15-20K 20 years ago.

touchingcloth

Come off it! How does anyone ever afford to buy new?! I know there's HP, but I assume more people buy outright than go down that route. And for what? To sell it to spotty old me for a tenth or less of its sale price a few years down the line?

That's a bit cruel of me. I'm not spotty. But I am old. So old. So very, very old.

Twed

Crushing debt is the way of the world now. In the US in particular, millennials think nothing of waking up one day and deciding to take on $30K of debt at 10% APR on the spur of the moment. Yes, it is probably wiser to buy used in most cases. That being said, the value of my car is more than the remainder of my loan.

Paul Calf

Quote from: imitationleather on February 15, 2019, 08:58:07 AM
My college was the last one in the country that made you do your university application on a paper form. My word that was ball-ache. A massive A1 piece of paper with loads of boxes to fill in with text that must have screamed "This person goes to a college that is so bad it can't even afford computers. REJECTED" to any university or UCAS person that saw it.

Also because the college was so poor you were only allowed one of these massive A1 forms and if you made a mistake in it you got expelled as that was cheaper than buying another form. (That may have just been an empty threat, but nothing would have surprised me.)

When I failed at doing Uni, undergrads still submitted their essays handwritten.

A 30,000-word dissertation all handwritten, no backup unless you could cadge a lend of a photocopier.

Icehaven

That shampoo advert where the voiceover says it's "particularly popular with women over 40", but just the 'over 40' is whispered, as if being 40 or more is so very shameful and must be kept secret at all costs. Yes I am turning 40 in 2 months.

On that subject thanks to facebook I've seen half the people I went to school and college with turn 40 over the last 6 months or so, and will keep seeing it for a while yet. A nice reminder every time I go on fb.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 17, 2019, 08:05:57 PM
When I failed at doing Uni, undergrads still submitted their essays handwritten.

A 30,000-word dissertation all handwritten, no backup unless you could cadge a lend of a photocopier.

I studied computer science at university, starting in 2004. I fucking hate coding so I really wanted to do a dissertation in essay form, but it wasn't an option and you had to submit a piece of software as your final year thing. The fools - the mad fools - informed us at the start of the year that the submission wouldn't be in the form of a working piece of software, but simply the source code. And not in a digital form, just printed source code.

So not only did my submission use up an unconscionable amount of paper due to code generally be far taller than it is wide, but my write up contained a load of fake screenshots which my pissant (and massively plagiarised) code couldn't possibly have hoped to achieve, but they had no way of checking unless they wanted to type up my code line by tedious line.

I didn't get a first, but boy did I cruise to that 2:1.

Sebastian Cobb

I had to demo mine :(

70% was on the write up to go along with it, IIRC.

touchingcloth

I had to demo mine as well, but with the understanding that the demo was given something like 1/4 of the way through the year with the people watching it doing so with the understanding that it was 1/4 of a working piece of software.

Mine was heavily weighted in favour of the write up, too. I don't know why they even requested a fat envelope of source code given that you were supposed to include relevant snippets within the write up rather than referencing line numbers in the source document. I wish I had a copy of my write up, as I found it so dull that I amused myself by working in wank like starting subsections with "I think it was Churchill who said..."

beanheadmcginty

We have no independent way of measuring time that exists outside of time. Therefore I've always assumed that time is accelerating but there's no way of scientifically proving it. All we have is our own perception, which explains all of this.

touchingcloth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 18, 2019, 12:36:22 AM
We have no independent way of measuring time that exists outside of time. Therefore I've always assumed that time is accelerating but there's no way of scientifically proving it. All we have is our own perception, which explains all of this.

x

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

touchingcloth