Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things That Make You Feel Old

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 13, 2019, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 26, 2019, 09:21:31 PM
I came close to an argument with a friend's wife recently who was saying that Father Ted was 'dated' and wouldn't offer any further elaboration for ages, before finally opining that it's all racist, mother-in-law jokes. I pressed further and it turned out she'd never watched it and was just assuming it was like that because it's 'old', and yet she still refused to back down on any of this.

Her and Linehan in the same space would be a meeting of the minds.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

As much as anything, the idea that Catholic priests would tell mother in law jokes is hilariously stupid.

I came close to an argument with a friend's wife recently who was saying that Father Ted was 'dated' and wouldn't offer any further elaboration for ages, before finally opining that it's all racist, mother-in-law jokes. I pressed further and it turned out she'd never watched it and was just assuming it was like that because it's 'old', and yet she still refused to back down on any of this.

We're both the same age (29) and while I accept that not everyone watched it as a kid, I know enough people my own age who did, or who caught up on it through endless repeats since, that it shocks me that there are people, let alone people my own age, for whom Father Ted occupies the same space as Love Thy Neighbour or whatever.

Show her the episode with Chinese immigrants to the island.  No doubt she will immediately get the irony...

bigfatheart

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2019, 09:23:52 PM
Her and Linehan in the same space would be a meeting of the minds.

Funnily enough, last summer another friend made a well-intentioned but ill-advised joke that offended a trans woman, and the aforementioned friend's wife went to the 'they're too easily offended, you can't say anything anymore' well very quickly. Maybe that can be Father Ted's selling point.

Icehaven

We're both the same age (29) and while I accept that not everyone watched it as a kid, I know enough people my own age who did, or who caught up on it through endless repeats since, that it shocks me that there are people, let alone people my own age, for whom Father Ted occupies the same space as Love Thy Neighbour or whatever.

Sounds like she just believes "old comedy=problematic" and has no concept of time.

honeychile

Quite often i'll sleek, futuristic-looking cars driving around town and think to myself "wow, the future's really arriving". Then upon closer inspection i realise that the sleek futuristic-looking car is the first generation of Ford Focus.

Twed

She's mixing it up with Mrs. Brown's Boys I think. Dated as in "like the 70s".

Quote from: honeychile on February 26, 2019, 11:46:36 PM
Quite often i'll sleek, futuristic-looking cars driving around town and think to myself "wow, the future's really arriving". Then upon closer inspection i realise that the sleek futuristic-looking car is the first generation of Ford Focus.

I still can't quite get over how far ahead of it's time that first gen Focus was. 20 years old and they still look great.

Norton Canes

The fact that the thread title makes me think of C+C Music Factory

Paul Calf

She also tried to correct a pub quiz host over the pronunciation of D:Ream and Bros, insisting that they were 'dream' and 'brose' respectively, so she might just be a bit of a twat.

I did always wonder whether it was supposed to be pronounced 'brose' and Tom Watkins just gave up and bowed to popular pressure when no-one wanted to pronounce it his way.

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 27, 2019, 10:14:47 AM
The fact that the thread title makes me think of C+C Music Factory

If you were young and/or a massive prick it would make you think of Wowcher, so this can only be a good thing.

Dusty Substance

Seeing You Tube comments akin to "I remember dancing to this when I was a little kid" on a song like Crazy by Gnarl Barkley, apparently released in 2006 but feels more like last month.

imitationleather

I was in a situation which required the playing of Poker Face by Lady Gaga (don't ask) and during it I clocked that it was released
over ten years ago.

I thought it was still classed as a current pop hit but ten years is probably a bit too old for that.

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 27, 2019, 10:50:55 AM
I did always wonder whether it was supposed to be pronounced 'brose' and Tom Watkins just gave up and bowed to popular pressure when no-one wanted to pronounce it his way.

These suit stores were everywhere for decades before Matt & Luke and the name was always rhymed

Cuellar

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

non capisco

Having nothing but overwhelming feelings of love, tenderness and poignancy for my two ailing parents. I'm used to reverting to a kind of teenage sullenness and irritability within ten minutes of being in their presence, what's this adult bollocks?

FUN ANSWER: Grown men and women tooling about London on those pricky little children's scooters. I sometimes can't help myself and say "wheeeeeeeeeeee!" out loud as they go past, which arguably makes me the prick I suppose but have you seen them?

jamiefairlie

well if we're going to get serious about it, experiencing  the gut wrenching agony of your parents dying.  Not just the sense of loss and grief, but the stark clarity that suddenly hits you that you're next mate, your air cover is gone and you're next in line. I likened it to waiting in line for a parachute jump, whilst your parents are alive then there's still people ahead of you in the queue but then all of a sudden there's no-one else there and you find yourself staring at the open door of the plane.......

Icehaven

How old Hugh Grant looks in the trailer for the Comic Relief Four Weddings thing. Most of the others in it don't really look 25 years older (possibly because they were a bit older in the first place) but Grant looks and sounds like he could be his own Grandfather.

idunnosomename

Quote from: imitationleather on February 27, 2019, 04:35:05 PM
I was in a situation which required the playing of Poker Face by Lady Gaga (don't ask) and during it I clocked that it was released
over ten years ago.

I thought it was still classed as a current pop hit but ten years is probably a bit too old for that.

It's only like one year before Compare the Meerkat debuted though

Jockice

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 27, 2019, 11:22:07 PM
well if we're going to get serious about it, experiencing  the gut wrenching agony of your parents dying.  Not just the sense of loss and grief, but the stark clarity that suddenly hits you that you're next mate, your air cover is gone and you're next in line. I likened it to waiting in line for a parachute jump, whilst your parents are alive then there's still people ahead of you in the queue but then all of a sudden there's no-one else there and you find yourself staring at the open door of the plane.......

Indeed. I wasn't the first of my close friends to lose a parent  but I was the first to lose both. Both from cancer in just over three years. So a week after my 40th birthday I was an orphan. That was 13 years ago and I think I'm still not over it. For a start I blame them personally for me fucking up my PhD.To put it bluntly I just wasn't in the mood for such pressure.  I actually think I had some sort of slow-motion nervous breakdown during my 40s and I still don't think I'm through it. I always tell my friends who have lost parents since that it will be the most surreal experience of their lives. It's fucking weird.

Jockice

Well, I've certainly killed this thread off...

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Jockice on February 28, 2019, 11:11:22 AM
Indeed. I wasn't the first of my close friends to lose a parent  but I was the first to lose both. Both from cancer in just over three years. So a week after my 40th birthday I was an orphan. That was 13 years ago and I think I'm still not over it. For a start I blame them personally for me fucking up my PhD.To put it bluntly I just wasn't in the mood for such pressure.  I actually think I had some sort of slow-motion nervous breakdown during my 40s and I still don't think I'm through it. I always tell my friends who have lost parents since that it will be the most surreal experience of their lives. It's fucking weird.

Remarkably similar t my own experience, it's the most fundamental disturbance in my being that I've ever experienced and it so hard to pin down too.

Jockice

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 28, 2019, 06:01:51 PM
Remarkably similar t my own experience, it's the most fundamental disturbance in my being that I've ever experienced and it so hard to pin down too.

It's just weird isn't it? Absolutely inexplicable. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, although it will happen to most people.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Jockice on February 28, 2019, 06:24:08 PM
It's just weird isn't it? Absolutely inexplicable. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, although it will happen to most people.

Yeah, the only comfort I could take was that it will hit everyone and it was just my turn, it wasn't bad luck.

Jockice

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 26, 2019, 09:31:21 PM
As much as anything, the idea that Catholic priests would tell mother in law jokes is hilariously stupid.

I'm not saying Mary the mother of God's fat but...

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 27, 2019, 10:50:55 AM

well, how do you say "moss bros"? they're brothers. their surname is 'goss' & one of the earlier names for their combo was 'gloss'.

I'm pretty sure it was never meant to be pronounced to rhyme with 'close' or 'dose'. people weren't calling each other "bro" quite so often back then.

ToneLa

What huv ah done in the decade since Curb did its Seinfeld reunion?

Twit 2

Fuck, that's the last series I watched too, and I was a fan of the show! Feels like a couple of years ago. Similarly, books I've been meaning to read/films watch but I've now been meaning to get around to for 10+ years.

Captain Crunch

Thurston Moore's got a Freedom Pass.