Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:14:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things That Make You Feel Old

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 13, 2019, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Seeing myself in the audience of an episode of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle and realising that was ten or eleven years ago.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Icehaven

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 02, 2019, 10:11:21 PM
Similarly, books I've been meaning to read/films watch but I've now been meaning to get around to for 10+ years.

When I began my first library job nearly 16 years ago I started a list of books I want to read which is now in the few thousand. I've read a small fraction of them, and it's a depressingly sobering thought to realise even if I started right now and read for 12 hours a day for the rest of my life I wouldn't even get through half of it.

Norton Canes

There's something called a 'steelbook'

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Hearing of Keith Flint's death. It wasn't of natural causes and it's no age to go, but he's still the first big pop star of my youth to pass on (technically, I suppose, Chris Cornell would count, but I wasn't really aware of grunge as a kid).

Ferris

I am a husband and father.

I don't have any social media, and my wife had to explain the difference between Instagram and Snapchat to me. I know what they are, I just got them the wrong way round.

I still get hard copy versions of newspapers and magazines delivered (well... Viz and Private Eye)

I had an intern last year who was born in 1996, and I didn't follow any of his cultural references (or he mine).

famethrowa

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 04, 2019, 03:34:12 PM
Hearing of Keith Flint's death. It wasn't of natural causes and it's no age to go, but he's still the first big pop star of my youth to pass on (technically, I suppose, Chris Cornell would count, but I wasn't really aware of grunge as a kid).

I was just amazed to find out he was in his 20s when it was all happening. I assumed he was a scary old guy.

Ferris

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 04, 2019, 03:34:12 PM

I didn't put that together when I read it originally. Fucking hell, Keith Flint from the Prodigy? That's a real shock. Awful news.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 27, 2019, 07:12:04 PM
These suit stores were everywhere for decades before Matt & Luke and the name was always rhymed

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 02, 2019, 08:55:58 AM
well, how do you say "moss bros"? they're brothers. their surname is 'goss' & one of the earlier names for their combo was 'gloss'.

I'm pretty sure it was never meant to be pronounced to rhyme with 'close' or 'dose'. people weren't calling each other "bro" quite so often back then.

Yeah, fair enough. That's me told.

Johnboy

spotting people typing with their thumbs on their phone, really fast, I mean really fast

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 03, 2019, 09:49:42 PM
Seeing myself in the audience of an episode of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle and realising that was ten or eleven years ago.

I had a similar thing when watching This Morning With Richard Not Judy and realising that I'd been in the audience for that 19 years ago. Almost 20 now.

Johnboy

I remember uncovering Low and "Heroes" in 1987 and thinking:

"ah, ten years ago, 1977, punk rock and all that, big chunky synths, stark artwork, how distant it is now"

They're 42 years old now

græskar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-XH92Wie0U

I thought she was saying "jewel". Only 27 and already time to get in grave.

edit: this slaps though, as the kids say

bgmnts

Fucking hell.

I had to google it but i dont smoke so im not counting that as become elderly.

Things are moving pretty quick though

Quote from: græskar on December 27, 2019, 05:24:44 PM

It's a bop.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 05, 2019, 05:31:56 PM
I had a similar thing when watching This Morning With Richard Not Judy and realising that I'd been in the audience for that 19 years ago. Almost 20 now.
I was in the audience for the last episode of each series (in the first one, I was right behind the King of the show). Small world, etc.

thenoise

The oldest item on my Amazon wish list was added on 1st June 2000.

There's a used copy for £3. I'm not going to buy it.

Icehaven

Going through old stuff and found the ticket stub from the last time I went to Glastonbury in 2000. £87.

Thinking about it though the first time I went in 1995 tickets were about £75, so they went up £12 in 5 years. If they'd only ever continued to increase at the same rate they'd cost about £135 now.

Ferris

I've lived in the same apartment since Jan 2012.

That's fucking eight years ago.

imitationleather

Quote from: icehaven on December 27, 2019, 07:58:29 PM
Going through old stuff and found the ticket stub from the last time I went to Glastonbury in 2000. £87.

I first went in 2005 and I think it was about double that.

Thatcher's Britain!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 27, 2019, 07:05:13 PM
I was in the audience for the last episode of each series (in the first one, I was right behind the King of the show). Small world, etc.

I was in the audience for the series 2 episode 8, so sadly we weren't in the audience at the same time.

Quote from: imitationleather on December 27, 2019, 08:51:58 PM

Thatcher's Britain!

It was £125 (plus some probably exorbitant booking fee), as that was the one and only time I went.

DrGreggles

I've been a homeowner for 12 years!

Still not halfway through paying for it...

Sebastian Cobb

Thinking about it though the first time I went in 1995 tickets were about £75, so they went up £12 in 5 years. If they'd only ever continued to increase at the same rate they'd cost about £135 now.

When did they start erecting really tight security that couldn't be defeated by scallies with wirecutters/driving a van through the wall?

gib

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 27, 2019, 09:47:11 PM
When did they start erecting really tight security that couldn't be defeated by scallies with wirecutters/driving a van through the wall?

You could still scramble over the wall in 94, but if you were the last in your group you needed the help of a stranger to give you a leg up.

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on December 27, 2019, 08:51:58 PM

Thatcher's Britain!

Now just found a NIN ticket for Brixton Academy from 1999, £15!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 27, 2019, 09:33:54 PM
I was in the audience for the series 2 episode 8, so sadly we weren't in the audience at the same time.
I've posted mine before, but

https://youtu.be/eNBQIDqmJ1Y?t=586

takes you to where I am. Which blurry image is my gorgeous face, CaBbers?

Rizla

I can't remember if someone on here pointed this out but -

The Beatles Anthology TV series was shown 24 years ago, in 1995, which was 25 years after they split up.

Freaks my nut out a bit.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: græskar on December 27, 2019, 05:24:44 PM

It's basically "Valley Girl" for [insert something hacky here].

Dewt

What are you talking about it's a vaping device

Dewt