Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things That Make You Feel Old

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 13, 2019, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 14, 2020, 09:20:13 PM
Or the cunt who made the later post didn't see the earlier one...
I'm sure you're a lovely young man!

These fucking things arrived in the post for me this morning! Yes, I'm in my fifties so I'm obviously going to be on certain mailing lists but FFS! I'm not even bald (or grey)!

I work for Network Rail and went on a manual handling course today and one of the people on it was a lad who was born in the same month that I started 20 years ago. I didn't even join until my mid 20s either. He was a cocky little shit too just like I was at his age. Days are gone as they say.

Ferris

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on February 10, 2020, 03:05:26 PM
These fucking things arrived in the post for me this morning! Yes, I'm in my fifties so I'm obviously going to be on certain mailing lists but FFS! I'm not even bald (or grey)!

I'd love to see the addendum to "it's a fact living in one of our retirement communities could make you feel 10 years younger†"

†complete fabrication, living in Tettenhall will make you feel substantially older

imitationleather

No it's true. My Nan felt like she was 109 before she moved in.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on February 10, 2020, 08:34:38 PM
No it's true. My Nan felt like she was 109 before she moved in.

Yes but I've always said your nan was the exception that proved the rule.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 10, 2020, 08:31:32 PM
I'd love to see the addendum to "it's a fact living in one of our retirement communities could make you feel 10 years younger†"

†complete fabrication, living in Tettenhall will make you feel substantially older

Tettenhall is the place where Radio One's Simon Bates (one for you youngsters there) allegedly saw a blonde, middle-aged woman in a pastel tracksuit stride into the greengrocer's on the green and loudly request "Your best apple for my horse".

I'm permanently depressed as it is so I won't be going to the open day at Clock fucking Gardens, Tettenhall. So there's a place going spare if anyone out there living in the west Wolverhampton/Shropshire area is interested.

imitationleather

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on February 10, 2020, 08:55:18 PM
So there's a place going spare if anyone out there living in the west Wolverhampton/Shropshire area is interested.

As if any of us can afford that.

I hope my hips hold out so I am able to climb up to my bunk in the elderly despair pod.

When the media presents the current pop stars as "sexy", but if got with one their age then people I know in real life would distance themselves from me.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 27, 2019, 09:42:26 PM
I've been a homeowner for 12 years!

Oooff! Does that mean you bought at the worst possible time, right before everything went bang?

canadagoose

Gen Z types laughing about people using margarine instead of butter. Mind when it was normal? I swear it wasn't that long ago.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on February 10, 2020, 04:19:24 PM
I work for Network Rail and went on a manual handling course today and one of the people on it was a lad who was born in the same month that I started 20 years ago. I didn't even join until my mid 20s either. He was a cocky little shit too just like I was at his age. Days are gone as they say.

The fact people born after Railtrack went down the tubes are old enough to get jobs is bad enough.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on February 10, 2020, 10:16:29 PM
Gen Z types laughing about people using margarine instead of butter. Mind when it was normal? I swear it wasn't that long ago.

I thought they were all shunning dairy. Confusing.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2020, 10:31:37 PM
I thought they were all shunning dairy. Confusing.
That's very confusing, actually. Maybe I've been listening to Young Tories by mistake.

DrGreggles

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 10, 2020, 10:14:03 PM
Oooff! Does that mean you bought at the worst possible time, right before everything went bang?

Cambridge, mate. There hasn't been a worst possible time... yet.

dr_christian_troy

Discovering that I'm the twelfth longest-running staff member in the company and then realising that there's now over 100 employees.

Icehaven

An already ridiculous conversation about vacuum cleaners yesterday ended with one of the blokes at work asking me to look up when the first Dyson was released, as he claimed he "couldn't remember any other kind of vacuum cleaner". Turns out it was in 1993, and he's 28, so he went off to tell the others while I (40) and the other person in the room (50) quietly cried.

bgmnts

Maybe Wales is just 20 years behind the rest of the UK but I remember Henry Hoover pretty vividly.

imitationleather

He must be pretty posh if he's only ever seen a Dyson. I've never lived somewere that has one...

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on February 11, 2020, 09:29:28 AM
He must be pretty posh if he's only ever seen a Dyson.

I think that's the impression he was trying to create. It was more that someone who's nearly 30 can barely remember the mid 90s that stuck out, despite being perfectly, depressingly logical.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 20, 2020, 01:26:51 PM
I have just bought a pill organiser. You know, one of those boxes with individual compartments marked with the days of the week. It says "vitamin organiser" on the label but I know that's just to make me feel better. I accept that I need medication and reminders to take said medication because I am old.

I have one of those, having cancer in your mid-20s meant that i've went through that weird old man thing of going to the pharmacy a lot and having to remember to take my morning and nighttime medication. (All is going well though!)

This is my morning batch:

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on February 11, 2020, 09:29:16 AM
Maybe Wales is just 20 years behind the rest of the UK but I remember Henry Hoover pretty vividly.

Henry's still pretty commonly used by commercial cleaners and tradesmen, don't let his happy face fool you, he's seen some abuse.

Dyson are like the Bose of vacuums, household name, aspirational and plenty of grunt, but there's stuff that does the job better for the sake or less.

Dewt

GTA: San Andreas's retro time period was two year's closer to the game's release than the game is to today.

So this console in the game is less retro at the time than San Andreas is today

But to 30 somethings that console feels no more retro today than it does in the game

Dewt

A shiny Brexit penny to whoever can decipher that mess of a post

I've just had to turn up the radio in my luxuriously appointed home gym (cold, draughty garage) to mask the crackling noises emitted by my elbows and shoulders.

Cardenio I

Quote from: icehaven on February 11, 2020, 09:27:19 AM
An already ridiculous conversation about vacuum cleaners yesterday ended with one of the blokes at work asking me to look up when the first Dyson was released, as he claimed he "couldn't remember any other kind of vacuum cleaner". Turns out it was in 1993, and he's 28, so he went off to tell the others while I (40) and the other person in the room (50) quietly cried.

I'm 27 and am quite surprised to hear Dysons are that recent - they have the air of having been around forever. I think I'd always assumed James Dyson was the jr. to a Mr Dyson sr.

All the new apps for young uns make me feel old, all Tik Tok and that. That and being so much older than all the bright young footballing talent bursting into the scene. And going to club nights and being in the oldest 10 percent. Had a cheeky student cunt say "wow I hope I'm still coming to these things when I'm your age" when I was fucking 24.

holyzombiejesus

Complete lack of hope and constantly thinking that the world is going to shit and fretting about the 'younger generation'. Had Child Exploitation training yesterday and went through all the stuff about county lines, and apps they use, and jargon, and 'punishment rapes', and I came out feeling ancient and just thinking that armageddon couldn't come soon enough.

imitationleather

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 19, 2020, 09:28:42 PM
Had Child Exploitation training yesterday

What the?! It's sick that they actually offer training for that sort of stuff.