Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things That Make You Feel Old

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 13, 2019, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: madhair60 on February 25, 2020, 12:40:29 PM
I could kill you both at the exact same time?

I'll get back to you on that.

Sebastian Cobb

Lent someone Snow Crash and realised its a book I've now owned for longer than I'd been on the planet when I first read it.

alan nagsworth

Gigs mate.

Been to a few gigs recently for trendy modern bands and been absolutely swamped by stupid fucking kids. Last night me and a mate went to see Belarus band Molchat Doma last night, and only on arrival did the penny drop that they're suddenly very popular due to popping up on youth-populated Reddit/Facebook groups whose so-called eclectic tastes have lead them here seemingly having never heard of John Maus or ADULT. and treat this band as though they have the same clout and cultural relevance as Joy Division. The band was extremely boring but a swarm of goons in their early-20s was bouncing around creating a mosh pit to this fucking derivative post-punk synth drivel, hurling drinks about and going mental. I found it absolutely baffling.

Stood at the back and observing this congregation of tod, I got to thinking, shit, was this me once? Did I spend my evenings a decade ago flailing around to any old piss coming out of a speaker? I'm almost dead certain that wasn't the case. I started furrowing my brow there and assuring myself that I had better taste than this lot and suddenly became acutely aware of my cynicism and told my friend I'd seen enough, to which he agreed, and we left.

I would start an Oscillations thread for this but I don't want it trickling into another "things that annoy you at gigs" furore so it's going here. Fuck you, young people at gigs.

bgmnts

Yeah I went to my first gig at 26 and felt the same, it just wasnt fun. I don't get why people jizz over it and spend so much of their time doing it when it's so dull.

Brundle-Fly

That gig moment comes to us all.

Regarding pop, when did the generations before go from saying, "It's all jungle music." "You can't hear the words." "Is that a bloke!?!" to "It all sounds the same." "Not proper instruments" "It's just somebody talking over music"  to "I've heard it all before", "They're just a rip off of...". "This is so bland!" ?

Paul Calf

C&C Music Factory consider 20th anniversary tribute release 'regrettable, in retrospect'.

holyzombiejesus

Christ, has anyone ever been to an all ages gig? That was genuinely horrible, stood there next to scantily clad 15 year olds. It was worse because the band we'd gone to see (Girl Ray) were quite young themselves so it felt like some special episode of Kiddystare.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: bgmnts on February 25, 2020, 01:09:15 PM
Yeah I went to my first gig at 26 and felt the same, it just wasnt fun. I don't get why people jizz over it and spend so much of their time doing it when it's so dull.

That wasn't my point at all.

bgmnts

Eh I went to a gig, felt old, simple.

Sebastian Cobb

Went to see hmhb in our early 20's and my mate said 'there's a lot of bald men at this gig'.

Bought rina sawayma tickets today, going to feel like an old sex criminal at that one I reckon. Seeing AWB the night before for contrast.

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 25, 2020, 01:26:33 PM
C&C Music Factory consider 20th anniversary tribute release 'regrettable, in retrospect'.

My son doesn't know "Things That Make You Go Hmmm..." beyond the version off the Wowcher advert.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 25, 2020, 01:39:43 PM
Christ, has anyone ever been to an all ages gig? That was genuinely horrible, stood there next to scantily clad 15 year olds. It was worse because the band we'd gone to see (Girl Ray) were quite young themselves so it felt like some special episode of Kiddystare.

Not sure if it was an all ages gig, but I went to see HAIM at Alexandra Palace at the behest of my partner a couple of years back and the mostly female audience there was trending far younger and more naked than I was comfortable with. Luckily HAIM are older than Girl Ray, so I could at least look at them without feeling the need to hand myself in at the nearest police station afterwards.

This was also the first indoor gig I'd ever been to where they were trying to pass it off as an "indoor festival" so people were allowed to bring kebabs, stir fry, burgers and pizzas in from the foyer which stunk the place out and, after everyone dropped their containers on the floor, made it feel like a gig at a recycling plant.

DrGreggles

I'm going to see Supergrass this week.
The first time I saw them was 26 years ago.

26!

TWENTY FUCKING SIX!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 25, 2020, 02:17:16 PM
Bought rina sawayma tickets today, going to feel like an old sex criminal at that one I reckon.

Seen her a few times (bit obsessed with her, like) and the age of the crowd wasn't so bad, to be fair. You will get a lot of hooting ad "YAASSS SLAY KWEEN U GET IT GURL" because she is a rising pop star with a strong voice in the LGBTQ+ scene. It fairly justified, though, as her stadium-pop-on-a-small-stage performances are awesome and highly worthy of said hooting and yassing.

Cold Meat Platter

Felt a long nostril hair so I yanked it and it's pure white.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 25, 2020, 06:00:23 PM
Seen her a few times (bit obsessed with her, like) and the age of the crowd wasn't so bad, to be fair. You will get a lot of hooting ad "YAASSS SLAY KWEEN U GET IT GURL" because she is a rising pop star with a strong voice in the LGBTQ+ scene. It fairly justified, though, as her stadium-pop-on-a-small-stage performances are awesome and highly worthy of said hooting and yassing.

Yeah I thought it'd be alright really, I missed out on Hannah Diamond tickets (and Moses Boyd, ffs) but that would've been even more of a quandary I reckon.

Captain Crunch

I'm lucky with gigs.  I was about 19 when Feeder came out and for some strange reason all their fans were really young - 13/14 and all bouncing about like a bunch of kids.  I couldn't give up gigs then and I'm not going to give it up now.   

shiftwork2

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 25, 2020, 04:16:45 PM
I'm going to see Supergrass this week.
The first time I saw them was 26 years ago.

26!

TWENTY FUCKING SIX!

That's half your life ago!

Cerys

Quote from: Cerys on February 25, 2020, 12:42:19 PM
Quote from: madhair60 on February 25, 2020, 12:40:29 PM
I could kill you both at the exact same time?

I'll get back to you on that.

SNG gives it his blessing.  Give it forty years or so,, though.

DrGreggles

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 25, 2020, 07:04:47 PM
That's half your life ago!

Why I oughta...

Shit. Not far off it actually.

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 25, 2020, 02:17:16 PM
Bought rina sawayma tickets today, going to feel like an old sex criminal at that one I reckon.

When me and Nags saw her there were two old Japanese ladies there, presumably Rina's proud nan and her mate or something, so I just stood next to them to look slightly less decrepit. Only slightly, mind you.

I've just remembered that was the gig when they were asking everyone for ID on the way in and because I didn't have any I had to say out loud to the bouncer in front of a load of Rina Sawayama fans that I was born in the 1970s. I had to go and watch an XTC tribute band in a pub afterwards to feel young again.

Dewt

She's only six years younger than me, that's old.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: olliebean on February 25, 2020, 07:57:56 PM
Because you don't know how to link to a YouTube video?

......ah yes, thank you. Walked right into that one, don't know what I did there. FINE , this? https://youtu.be/AJnBaNfk1Hc?t=24m32s

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on February 25, 2020, 08:55:06 PM
When me and Nags saw her there were two old Japanese ladies there, presumably Rina's proud nan and her mate or something, so I just stood next to them to look slightly less decrepit. Only slightly, mind you.

Ha! I saw Auntie Flo in the Sub Club when his album came out, he's originally from Glasgow and his parents were there in sterotypical proud parent fashion.

Dex Sawash

Bought concer tix for daughter, forgot name of the person/band. Can only come up with Hazel. Probably not Hazel

Ferris

Somebody asked about my family and I said "oh they're all in the UK" but they meant my actual family of wife and son.

DEAD SOON

Icehaven

Was just chatting with my band about drummers, John Entwistle was mentioned and someone said "He died recently-ish didn't he?" and the rest of us generally said yeah, it was about 5-6 years ago. Then I looked it up, and it was 2002. No idea why we were all convinced it was 5 years ago, either we just assumed it was 2016 because that's when everyone died or we're just in denial about time going so fucking fast.

Video Game Fan 2000

Used to slam a can of soft drink while walking around. Can of fizzy drink is a small isn't it.

Had a uladag earlier (250 ml) and needed a bit of sit down because I drank it too fast.

Call the undertaker.