Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things That Make You Feel Old

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 13, 2019, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 14, 2019, 04:35:42 PMAlso felt old listening to a pod called Trashfutur, which I assume is made by nineteen year-old anarcho-marxists. I have no idea what they're talking about most of the time (they use the words doxed and ratioed a lot)... but this week they used the term "soy boys". What's people go to thing for keeping up to date with modern slang?

"Soy boys" is usually used by toxically masculine alt-right types to refer to men who aren't toxically masculine enough for their liking, based on the misconception than consumption of soya has a feminising effect. I don't think it's the sort of thing that's said by anyone useful to society.

QDRPHNC

Not being able to get the last bit of urine out. This is why old men smell of piss.

thenoise

More than you could wish to know about 'soy boys' in this unfunny ode by yank 'comedian' Owen Benjamin. And they say conservatives aren't funny! (They're right)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Beyonce's Crazy in Love is old enough to buy cigarettes.

Norton Canes

Dex Sawash

Remember a lot of dos up to three dos commands yet can't adapt to windows 10

Sherringford Hovis

My irrational preference for locally stored entertainment media as opposed to streamed.
"You can't like music that much if you haven't got Spotify," accused my 7 year-old niece.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 15, 2019, 12:18:38 AM
Remember a lot of dos commands yet can't adapt to windows 10

Which commands? Type them all, pls.

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on February 15, 2019, 12:38:44 AM
My irrational preference for locally stored entertainment media as opposed to streamed.
"You can't like music that much if you haven't got Spotify," accused my 7 year-old niece.

How much of her face did you kick off?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 14, 2019, 03:21:31 PM
The worst one for me is realising how old I will be as my little boy grows up. I'll be over 50 when he starts primary school and well in to my 60s when he turns 18. It's genuinely a constant source of sadness to me, made all the worse by the fact that there's absolutely fuck all that I can do about it. I keep telling myself that I'll compensate by really looking after myself but I just had 9 quorn scotch eggs and a bag of maltesers and plan to drink half a bottle of red wine later tonight rather than going for the lengthy walk that I had planned to start doing on a nightly basis. When it gets a bit lighter...

to desolation with us. bleakness. I turned 50 before my first kid arrived. he's five this week, & his sister will be three in may. bleak.

I also have scotch eggs here. fucksake.

Dex Sawash

cd\ <insert drive letter: other drive letter:>

dir/p

chkdsk doesn't count because that still works

So there's two

shiftwork2

I genuinely feel like I'm circling the old drain.  My girlfriend took a 'selfie' the other week with us in it and I look like a fat, tired, stressed-out functioning alcoholic who has designs on death to the extent that he has already started contributing to the Co-Op Funeral Plan.  Admittedly I could can most of this by losing two stone and meditating but - crucially - I'm not going to, am I?

Bennett Brauer

Time to show the bitch your Myspace page.

MidnightShambler

Watching that Back In Time For School programme last night with my 12yr old son. It was set in the 80s and I was explaining to him what all the artefacts were FROM MY MEMORY OF USING THEM MYSELF ON A DAILY BASIS IN THE PAST.

I felt 80yrs old when I was explaining that my Primary School had one BBC Micro and each of the Juniors classes got an hour a day on it, which was given to 2 different pupils from each class each day. And each class had about 30 kids in it. So each kid used a computer for about an hour a month. While my lad was on Fortnite on his iPhone 8+, looking totally uninterested at my war stories.

I even had to explain the Findus crispy pancakes they were serving for lunch. Although that made me feel like a slightly successful parent. Little victories.

Cerys

Crispy pancakes are still a thing.  Rejoice!

Squink

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 14, 2019, 05:08:41 PM
Shockingly no. And even worse is that the child could have a child who in four years time could be sixteen and thus legal to have sex with. And maybe I will, and with my super sperm I'll turn the original crush in to a great-grandmother.

...and then get back together with the mother and be the child's father and step-great-grandfather all at the same time. You know it makes sense. The tabloids may even come in for a quick sniff of that one.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 15, 2019, 02:09:02 AMAnd each class had about 30 kids in it. So each kid used a computer for about an hour a month.

At my school they had enough that in a class of 25-ish there was enough for 1 computer per 2 kids.  The downside is that we were only allowed to use them on two occasions.  I'm assuming because I don't think the teacher had a clue how to use them

canadagoose

I feel old whenever I see someone commenting on a YouTube video that they originally saw it (on YouTube) when they were 5 or 6. I keep forgetting it's been around for a good while now and that there are actual adults who grew up with it.

a duncandisorderly

I signed up with amazon to buy a book, when that's all they sold.

canadagoose

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 15, 2019, 03:09:29 AM
I signed up with amazon to buy a book, when that's all they sold.
I forgot they used to just be a bookshop! Think I first visited in 1999 or thenabouts. Can't remember when I first bought something from there, though.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 15, 2019, 02:58:36 AM
At my school they had enough that in a class of 25-ish there was enough for 1 computer per 2 kids.  The downside is that we were only allowed to use them on two occasions.  I'm assuming because I don't think the teacher had a clue how to use them

Our computer was in the main corridor of the school and you had to go to it and relieve the previous two kids who were using it. Then they'd show you what they were doing that day so you could do it too. It was usually hangman or typing out the alphabet quickly, I can't remember doing any actual work on it. I think it was pretty similar to yours, only one or two teachers knew how to use the thing so it was useless really. This would have been around 1987.

When I went to secondary school, it was still BBCS, although about a hundred of them. We had one or two Nimbus' as well.  So it was all very basic. When we had to choose our options in year 9, hardly anybody chose IT because the facilities weren't there. Cue a full refit of the IT department in the summer holidays to PCs (that they never warned anyone about) and you had hundreds of kids leaving school being completely computer illiterate. Wankers.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: canadagoose on February 15, 2019, 03:11:57 AM
I forgot they used to just be a bookshop! Think I first visited in 1999 or thenabouts. Can't remember when I first bought something from there, though.

until about six weeks ago, I was using the same password, five lower case letters, that I signed up with. they finally asked me to change it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 15, 2019, 03:28:13 AM
until about six weeks ago, I was using the same password, five lower case letters, that I signed up with. they finally asked me to change it.

That password must've been on some journeys. In 2011 it was reported that 'legacy' Amazon passwords were much less secure because they truncated at 8 characters (limitation of unix's then crypt() function) and forced things to uppercase.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 15, 2019, 03:44:12 AM
That password must've been on some journeys. In 2011 it was reported that 'legacy' Amazon passwords were much less secure because they truncated at 8 characters (limitation of unix's then crypt() function) and forced things to uppercase.

they were happy enough for me to change it to 8 characters, mixed-case + numbers. still not very secure, I don't reckon, but I've not had problems.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 15, 2019, 03:54:35 AM
they were happy enough for me to change it to 8 characters, mixed-case + numbers. still not very secure, I don't reckon, but I've not had problems.

Use a password manager for fuck's sake.

Their initial truncation thing shows at least they were early in not storing passwords in plain text, choosing to hash them, then later use hash and salt (so if you and someone else choose the same password they won't be an encrypted version of the same thing). Loads of people who should know better were using plain text or not much better (md5) in 2011, some still are now.

Paul Calf

"Well, you can't like music that much if you refuse to pay the people who make it".

Paul Calf

I'm so old that the title of this thread...

I was at the crib, sittin' by the fireplace
Drinkin' cocoa on the bear skin rug
The door bell rang, who could it be?
Thought to myself then started to shrug
Got to the door, ding dong, "Who is it?"
My girl's best friend had paid me a visit...

Twit 2

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 15, 2019, 01:39:12 AM
I genuinely feel like I'm circling the old drain.  My girlfriend took a 'selfie' the other week with us in it and I look like a fat, tired, stressed-out functioning alcoholic who has designs on death to the extent that he has already started contributing to the Co-Op Funeral Plan.  Admittedly I could can most of this by losing two stone and meditating but - crucially - I'm not going to, am I?

I'll bury you in my mate's woods for a tenner, or a multi-pack of Wotsits - whichever's cheaper at the time.

imitationleather

You know you're getting old when you no longer need to do add a few years to your age on Football Manager to make it seem realistic that someone of your years would be running a club. :'(

touchingcloth

I feel old when I realise that I've learned numerous different ways to effectively google things (from sticking things in quote marks, using the + symbol, but mainly by having an innate sense of which particular words and phrasings are likely to yield the goods), have experienced numerous different levels of the effectiveness of google searches in general (in the late 90s, good luck if you wanted to find out a filming location from a series 6 Red Dwarf episode), but mainly when I realise that I've lived through a time when finding a googlewhack seemed like an achievable ambition.

olliebean

My main take-away from that 80s school programme was how behind the times my school must have been when I was there in the 80s. I don't remember us getting a BBC Micro - we had an old RML-380Z. But we were rarely allowed to use it; we had to write programs by hand on forms in a called CESIL that nobody used outside of schools, that were sent off to be batch-processed, and we got the results back a week or two later. (By this time I had a ZX Spectrum at home, and I reckon I knew more about programming than our Computer Studies teacher.)

We never got the pizzas and burgers they were eating for school dinners in the programme; we had stuff like spam fritters and horrible lumpy mashed potato.

Also we never had a school disco. My housemate's comment: "I thought every school had those. We had one every term."