Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ryan Adams Cancelled [split topic]

Started by king_tubby, February 13, 2019, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Puce Moment

Noodle Lizard

imitationleather

I fucking hated it when that Everything I Do I Do It For You song was number 1 for a hundred weeks. I bet everyone who bought it feels a right cunt now.

king_tubby

Why is this a split topic? All #cancelled should be kept on the #cancelled, dammit.

Ferris

Sebastian Cobb

I guess you can't be too bland to be cancelled.

Beagle 2

Never has somebody attained such credibility for such middle of the road driving music flat fart toss. All my friends and my wife love the guy. I had to pretend to enjoy a full set of his at a festival just to avoid a row. Why couldn't he have been #cancelled before that festival? I'm the real victim here.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 13, 2019, 11:13:02 PM
I had to pretend to enjoy a full set of his at a festival just to avoid a row. Why couldn't he have been #cancelled before that festival? I'm the real victim here.

Forced Festival Fun

I think i would rather have the row.

Barry Admin

Quote from: king_tubby on February 13, 2019, 11:08:35 PM
Why is this a split topic? All #cancelled should be kept on the #cancelled, dammit.

That thread was for predicting who might be "cancelled" in 2019, not for all 2019 cancellations.

PaulTMA

mothman

Somebody really is going to have to explain the origin of this cancelled thing to me. Even the Guardian is using it now.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: mothman on February 13, 2019, 11:25:11 PM
Somebody really is going to have to explain the origin of this cancelled thing to me. Even the Guardian is using it now.

I legitimately thought Limmy had invented it, but no, turns out it's "been a thing" for a while now.  Some website I was on even had a whole section for "#cancelled". 

This really is a shit culture we're in.

Twed

Quote from: mothman on February 13, 2019, 11:25:11 PM
It means becoming socially unacceptable by progressive standards.

mothman

mothman

Quote from: Twed on February 13, 2019, 11:30:59 PM
It means becoming socially unacceptable by progressive standards.

No wonder the throwbacks hate us.

Twed

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 13, 2019, 11:29:22 PM
I legitimately thought Limmy had invented it, but no, turns out it's "been a thing" for a while now.  Some website I was on even had a whole section for "#cancelled". 

This really is a shit culture we're in.
Why? You are always so apologetic for people with excessive power being called out for their ugly behaviour. So what if there's a shorthand word for it?

Quote from: mothman on February 13, 2019, 11:32:10 PM
Our whole species is shit, frankly.
Why are you all so upset about Ryan Adams not getting away with being a sex pest?

mothman

... I... don't think that's what we're doing, Twed. If this second-rate pop star is a sex pest, then I'm all for it being exposed. My problem is with this twee little term that's evolved for such (deserved) exposures.

Twed

That is how language has always worked. You're being your dad getting upset about "bad" meaning good. I can promise you that it is objectively true that the root of the shitness of our species is not the term "cancelled".

mothman

Maybe. But the fucking hashtag doesn't really help matters.

MidnightShambler

He did a thing a while ago in New Orleans called Exile On Bourbon Street where he recreated, in his own inimitable wet blanket fashion, Exile On Main Street. There's only about three or four of the performances on YouTube and that's enough, he absolutely murders it so badly that it's just obvious he missed the point with the whole record. And he's a cunt for doing so. So for that alone I'd happily support any cancelling.

Buelligan

Quote from: mothman on February 13, 2019, 11:38:58 PM
Maybe. But the fucking hashtag doesn't really help matters.

I tend to agree, it could well be symptom, rather than the root cause of human shitness.  I say that as someone who has made it my life's work to look into this.

BlodwynPig

what is the origin of the hashtag cancelled though, that hasn't been answered....I bet the Beatles or Dr. Who or The BBC.

Buelligan

Pound to a penny, it's that terrible cunt McCartney again.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on February 13, 2019, 11:37:48 PM
That is how language has always worked. You're being your dad getting upset about "bad" meaning good. I can promise you that it is objectively true that the root of the shitness of our species is not the term "cancelled".

It's fucking stupid, Twednesday.

Jittlebags

Never heard of him. Is he some sort of American Ed Sheeran? Who can actually write songs

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on February 13, 2019, 11:50:59 PM
It's fucking stupid, Twednesday.
It's a good term though! You can either use it directly or in an eye-rolling way. It's not like people have the power to ruin people's lives by just using it as a hashtag.

madhair60