Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ryan Adams Cancelled [split topic]

Started by king_tubby, February 13, 2019, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

a funny "unfair record review" of Ryan Adams by Scharpling on The Best Show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4vnQg09bw

non capisco

Quote from: chveik on February 14, 2019, 12:19:05 AM
a funny "unfair record review" of Ryan Adams by Scharpling on The Best Show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4vnQg09bw

The bit where he's pissing himself laughing and repeatedly playing the "whut" song intro has got me giggling. Very fond of Scharlpling, probably mentioned it before but hearing him and Paul F. Tompkins ripping into an advert for a Meeting Of The Juggalos Festival advert properly pulled me out of the slough of despond one evening.

McFlymo

So glad I'm not the only person who always had to pretend to think this guy was OK, when around friends who bafflingly loved him. How can anyone give a fuck about this music? It is so fucking bland!!!

But then I know people who like Ed Sheeran / Adele / Kings Of Leon etc...

Haven't read the story yet, (because I give less than no fucks about the cunt) but what's the craic? Did he say something bad or actually do something bad?

Mister Six

I quite liked Gold. Or maybe Heartbreaker.

Urinal Cake

Oh there's a Ryan Adams and a Bryan Adams.

biggytitbo

He s not cancelled for me, I've never heard of him. In a way you've uncancelled him for me so thanks a lot for that.

Twit 2

jobotic

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 13, 2019, 11:41:25 PM
He did a thing a while ago in New Orleans called Exile On Bourbon Street where he recreated, in his own inimitable wet blanket fashion, Exile On Main Street. There's only about three or four of the performances on YouTube and that's enough, he absolutely murders it so badly that it's just obvious he missed the point with the whole record. And he's a cunt for doing so. So for that alone I'd happily support any cancelling.

Shit, it'll be Pussy Galore next.

Or even...one of the Rolling Stones...

poo

Icehaven

I knew someone at Uni who liked him but that was 15 years ago and I've literally not heard his name mentioned since until now, so thanks for that. 

The Culture Bunker

I remember one of the reasons I stopped buying Uncut around 18 years ago was their constant hailing of Adams as some kind of modern genius.

Though I did like 'Burned Photographs'.

PaulTMA

I'm sure Hammell On Trial will now be overjoyed at being promoted to the front cover next month

SteveDave

That's me never listening to "Summer Of 69" again.

gilbertharding

I've heard of him, because he was briefly a favourite of what I call The Jo Wiley Tendency, around 15 years ago - and also because I found joy in his lack of humour about being confused with Brian Adams.

Not surprised he's turned out to be a wrong'un.

Bobtoo

Quote from: SteveDave on February 14, 2019, 09:32:07 AM
That's me never listening to "Summer Of 69" again.

He once had someone thrown out of a gig for requesting Summer of 69, although I believe he's now started playing it to show he has a sense of humour after all.

SteveDave

Quote from: Bobtoo on February 14, 2019, 09:46:01 AM
He once had someone thrown out of a gig for requesting Summer of 69, although I believe he's now started playing it to show he has a sense of humour after all.

A great bunch of lads.

Flouncer

Quote from: Twed on February 13, 2019, 11:33:10 PM
Why? You are always so apologetic for people with excessive power being called out for their ugly behaviour. So what if there's a shorthand word for it?

Noodle Lizard always comes out to bat for sex offenders. Somebody's got to speak up for them, the poor beleaguered souls!

Icehaven

And his real first name is actually David! So he purposely chose to use his middle name, knowing it gave him almost the same name as someone already very famous for singing and playing the guitar and probably hoping to benefit from the potential confusion, then gets pissy when it backfires. Bellend. I'[m going to start a music career and call myself Boyonce but don't you dare mix me up with anyone else who might happen to have a similar name! (Actually there has to be drag act that's already used that.) 

lazarou

Wasn't he outed as a bit of a terrible cunt in Meet Me In The Bathroom, that account of the whole '00s scene?. Not that that necessarily means anything with regard to these allegations or whatever, but his reputation's been in the shitter for a while now.

McFlymo

Quote from: icehaven on February 14, 2019, 09:54:06 AM
And his real first name is actually David! So he purposely chose to use his middle name, knowing it gave him almost the same name as someone already very famous for singing and playing the guitar and probably hoping to benefit from the potential confusion, then gets pissy when it backfires. Bellend. I'[m going to start a music career and call myself Boyonce but don't you dare mix me up with anyone else who might happen to have a similar name! (Actually there has to be drag act that's already used that.)

Boyonce Castle

Butchers Blind

Due to release three albums this year, sold out gigs at the Albert Hall.  This is a good #cancelled.

lipsink

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 14, 2019, 08:56:29 AM
I remember one of the reasons I stopped buying Uncut around 18 years ago was their constant hailing of Adams as some kind of modern genius.

See also: Wilco.

Howj Begg

I liked his incredibly derivative albums Heartbreaker and Gold 19 years ago. I was a big Gram Parsons fan at the time, and he definitely hoovered up GP's persona and many of his vocal mannerisms, as well as the same amount of coke. He released about 50 albums in the ensuing years, and I've not really been arsed to listen to any of them.

This news is very unsurprising.

thenoise

Can we cancel Bryan as well, just to prevent confusion?

Just need a woman who was a teen at the time to make an anonymous claim on twitter. Don't worry about proof or anything, it's not the 1990s!

Chollis

Chollis

Also never heard of this cunt, his Wikipedia page makes him sound quite big and famous but I'm not having it

Icehaven

Well given so many of us have either never heard of him or forgot he existed for over a decade these accusations might be just the topical shot in the arm his forthcoming album releases and gigs need. God knows it's not easy staying relevant these days.

jobotic

I'm more upset than i was when I found out on here that that bloke from Bottom Feeder or Top Bum or whatever they were called I don't know I'd never heard of them was a bad 'un.

Beagle 2

I'm really heartened that so many people haven't heard of him, because you definitely will have heard his music - this just confirms how forgettable it is. I've seen him live, been subjected to it at home and at parties, and still the only songs I can bring to mind are the one about New York and the one about Carolina.

Icehaven

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 14, 2019, 11:59:30 AM
still the only songs I can bring to mind are the one about New York and the one about Carolina.

Well on the New York one he sounds like Alicia Keys and on the Carolina one he sounds like Shaggy so no wonder no one knows it was actually him.