Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,397
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ryan Adams Cancelled [split topic]

Started by king_tubby, February 13, 2019, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konki

Isn't he partly famous for doing a 'beautiful and haunting' cover of Wonderwall or was that one of the other cunts?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't meant to be all holier than thou, since I'm as guilty of this as the next person, but isn't it a bit messed up to be indulging schadenfreude in these cases? However shit you might think their work is, some celebrity being outed as a sexual predator isn't really a joyous occasion, since it means that someone else was a victim of their behaviour.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Konki on February 14, 2019, 12:13:32 PM
Isn't he partly famous for doing a 'beautiful and haunting' cover of Wonderwall or was that one of the other cunts?

You're thinking of Mike Flowers Pops.

thenoise

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 14, 2019, 12:18:21 PM
I don't meant to be all holier than thou, since I'm as guilty of this as the next person, but isn't it a bit messed up to be indulging schadenfreude in these cases? However shit you might think their work is, some celebrity being outed as a sexual predator isn't really a joyous occasion, since it means that someone else was a victim of their behaviour.

Depends.  Did he do anything worse than send inappropriate messages?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: thenoise on February 14, 2019, 12:53:36 PM
Depends.  Did he do anything worse than send inappropriate messages?

Does exposing himself to an underage girl count?

QuoteAva said that as her communication with Adams went on, she grew uneasy about their unequal dynamic. Once, she said, the two agreed to video chat, but when they connected on Skype, Adams was already naked. "It was just sexual power," Ava said.

thenoise

Yeah, that's a bit creepy.  It was over the internet though, so at least she had the option of hanging up (whatever the Skype equivalent is).  Less tasteless than the Maddie thread anyway.

Dex Sawash

Add me to the list of people unaware of the existence of Ryan Adams

non capisco

I tell you what, guys, I bet he wishes he hadn't have been so 'Reckless' now!

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 14, 2019, 12:18:21 PM
some celebrity being outed as a sexual predator isn't really a joyous occasion, since it means that someone else was a victim of their behaviour.

The hope is though, now they've been exposed there will be no new victims, that and I think there's some sort of justice in that they didn't get away with it.

I also have no fucking clue who this turd is.

gib

Has anyone worked out who this cunt is yet?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on February 14, 2019, 03:45:03 PM
The hope is though, now they've been exposed there will be no new victims, that and I think there's some sort of justice in that they didn't get away with it.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with whether or not you liked his music, has it? There rarely seems to be much discussion of their crimes or victims. It's mostly just "I never liked him anyway" as if that's relevant.
If Ryan Adams' ruined himself by recording a big, expensive ego trip of an album, that got critically panned and sold nine copies, you'd be justified in laughing about it and saying that you never liked his music. His downfall doesn't seem so funny when it's based on someone else's suffering though.

As I said, I've done this myself, when it was Steven Seagal getting cancelled.

PaulTMA

[tag]Bright Eyes records, burning like fire[/tag]

justin_bennett

If this is the start of the music gates being opened then it's a tenner on Molko next.

PaulTMA

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: icehaven on February 14, 2019, 12:04:12 PM
Well on the New York one he sounds like Alicia Keys

I know you're only joshing with us here, but it sounded like the freakin' Spin Doctors.

I hate Ryan Adams.

non capisco

That one he did with Mel C was alright.

mothman

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 14, 2019, 12:07:06 AM
who even is this cunt

He got a B- from Bryan Adams Impersonation School. That's a failing grade, there.

mothman

Quote from: icehaven on February 14, 2019, 09:54:06 AM
And his real first name is actually David! So he purposely chose to use his middle name, knowing it gave him almost the same name as someone already very famous for singing and playing the guitar and probably hoping to benefit from the potential confusion, then gets pissy when it backfires. Bellend. I'[m going to start a music career and call myself Boyonce but don't you dare mix me up with anyone else who might happen to have a similar name! (Actually there has to be drag act that's already used that.) 

*future gig*

Mothman: "Play 'Crazy in Love!'"
Icehaven: "No, I got. bored with that, I'm not Boyonce anymore, I've gone back to being Icehaven again."
Mothman: " ... then can you play 'Hey Little Girl' instead, please?"

DukeDeMondo

Well, I'll be the one to say I'm pretty gutted about this, then, so. It's true that I haven't found a whole lot to love in his most recent records, but Faithless Street is one of my Top 10 Albums Of All Time, and there are plenty of his solo albums - Heartbreaker, Jacksonville City Nights, Cold Roses - that are pretty high up there also. His Live At Carnegie Hall is one of my favourite live albums ever recorded and I still listen to the full forty two tracks of it pretty regularly.

So discovering that he's a perpetrator of abuse, and that this has been the case over and over and over, is a bit fucking shit, to say the least.

It's interesting, though. What initially appealed to me most about Faithless Street in particular was how it romanticised failure, how it glorified fucking up. Music to ruin your life to. Just the stuff, that. So it shouldn't be any great surprise, you would think, to discover that the author of most of those songs is a colossal fuck up himself, even more so than was already apparent. But. I suppose there's being a fuck up, and then there's being an abusive fucking bastard.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Bobtoo on February 14, 2019, 09:46:01 AM
He once had someone thrown out of a gig for requesting Summer of 69, although I believe he's now started playing it to show he has a sense of humour after all.

That's like shitting the bed to apologise for pissing it

Twed

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on February 14, 2019, 07:03:57 PM
Well, I'll be the one to say I'm pretty gutted about this, then, so. It's true that I haven't found a whole lot to love in his most recent records, but Faithless Street is one of my Top 10 Albums Of All Time, and there are plenty of his solo albums - Heartbreaker, Jacksonville City Nights, Cold Roses - that are pretty high up there also. His Live At Carnegie Hall is one of my favourite live albums ever recorded and I still listen to the full forty two tracks of it pretty regularly.
I admire the bravery of coming to this thread and saying "I like the music of Ryan Adams" after everybody has been trashing it for a solid day.

lankyguy95

Dreading the day that someone I genuinely adore gets cancelled.

Not this guy though, he covered a Taylor Swift album, the nonce.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 14, 2019, 04:36:22 PM
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with whether or not you liked his music, has it? There rarely seems to be much discussion of their crimes or victims. It's mostly just "I never liked him anyway" as if that's relevant.
If Ryan Adams' ruined himself by recording a big, expensive ego trip of an album, that got critically panned and sold nine copies, you'd be justified in laughing about it and saying that you never liked his music. His downfall doesn't seem so funny when it's based on someone else's suffering though.

I would just like to say that I agree with all of this.

rue the polywhirl

"He was emotionally abusive" - could mean anything. From what it scans the theme seems to be 'he was a tad controlling (a lot of people are)' and 'he promised me record deals'.

The appearing naked on webcam and in the hotel which he denies anyway could have been him innocent and chillaxed rather than pervy and if the webcam person didn't reveal her age then Ryan Adams has not much to answer for.

The crux of the story is he didn't assault anyone or attack anyone and didn't perform anything illegal to his knowledge.

kalowski

Heartbreaker and Gold are both great. I like some other stuff too: Cardinology, Jacksonville City Nights,  Cold Roses.
And Whiskeytown were magnificent.

Sorry, wrong narrative.

kalowski

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on February 14, 2019, 07:03:57 PM

So discovering that he's a perpetrator of abuse, and that this has been the case over and over and over, is a bit fucking shit, to say the least.

It's interesting, though. What initially appealed to me most about Faithless Street in particular was how it romanticised failure, how it glorified fucking up. Music to ruin your life to. Just the stuff, that. So it shouldn't be any great surprise, you would think, to discover that the author of most of those songs is a colossal fuck up himself, even more so than was already apparent. But. I suppose there's being a fuck up, and then there's being an abusive fucking bastard.

Basically this.

MidnightShambler

I went through a stage when I was about 21/22 (or whenever it came out, I think it was about 16 years ago) of llistening to Love Is Hell on constant loop. I was in a bit of a mindfuck of a relationship and it kind of made sense to me, the woe-is-me-I'm-not-good-enough of it. The tune 'Shadowlands' in particular. I tried to listen to it a couple of years ago though and all it left me with was the sense that I must have been a dreary twat at that time. 'Does Anybody Wanna Take Me Home' is still great though.

As far as the allegations are concerned, the bits where he's saying 'you need to convince me' about her age are as dodgy as fuck. I'm 37 and as soon as I'm talking to somebody who's a teenager via text, which I have to do because I've got my child, my nephews and my close friends kids in my social circle, you immediately know you're talking to someone young, the phrasing etc. So on that score he's as guilty as fuck and he'll be lucky if he doesn't get arrested for it.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: mothman on February 14, 2019, 06:00:34 PM
He got a B- from Bryan Adams Impersonation School. That's a failing grade, there.

big laff

hummingofevil

Yes. This. Exactky. #cancelling should be reserved for victimless crimes - well i mean crimes that don't have specific individual victims or it's no fun.

Gary Barlow should be cancelled for tax avoidence; Robert Webb should be cancelled for tweeting; Victoria Wood should be cancelled for the transphobic jokes in Dinner ladies.

R-Kelly and Bill Cosby should be convicted (or otherwise) in a court of law.

Ryan Adams should be treated fairly: like R-Kelly