Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:50:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you call a # symbol a hashtag regardless of context?

Started by touchingcloth, February 14, 2019, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Caught somebody my age calling it a hashtag recently. #grave

They call it the pound here in the US. #getinthesea (with all the tea)

touchingcloth

Calling it a pound is fine (mainly cos I like it when working on computer scripts with Americans who talk about starting things with pound bang Perl), but why add a syllable to something when a) it's just called a hash and b) it makes you sound like more of a cunt than I already assume you are?

I worked with someone today who said that an expression in Excel was giving them a hash tag error, and half a second later said - said, mind - "lol". I mean, grave.

In Spanish it's called almohadilla, or "little cushion".

thenoise

touchingcloth

Quote from: thenoise on February 14, 2019, 09:27:08 PM
It's a 'sharp' to me, always will be.

No no no!

This is a hash sign: #
This is a sharp sign: ♯

It's a completely different symbol, it's a semitone higher!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Darles Chickens on February 14, 2019, 09:33:04 PM
No no no!

This is a hash sign: #
This is a sharp sign: ♯

It's a completely different symbol, it's a semitone higher!

You call that a sharp? This is a sharp:

Buelligan

a duncandisorderly

'pound' is correct; it evolved from lb after all.

in german-speaking countries, email was sometimes called 'strudel-post' because the @ symbol reminded someone of an apple wrapped in pastry. ffs.

Replies From View

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2019, 08:52:39 PM
Calling it a pound is fine (mainly cos I like it when working on computer scripts with Americans who talk about starting things with pound bang Perl), but why add a syllable to something when a) it's just called a hash and b) it makes you sound like more of a cunt than I already assume you are?

No this is abhorrent, and I've never heard a shebang called anything other than a shebang.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 14, 2019, 10:59:55 PM
No this is abhorrent, and I've never heard a shebang called anything other than a shebang.

I don't like shebang, pound bang is more fun to me. Arguably both versions sound slightly saucy, though, and I like that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2019, 11:04:37 PM
I don't like shebang, pound bang is more fun to me. Arguably both versions sound slightly saucy, though, and I like that.

Quite like 'bin bash' (which let's face it, it usually is) on it's own as well.

touchingcloth

Sebastian Cobb

Ksh is for cunts. Even the thought of having to go near Solaris again is making me angry.

touchingcloth

Ksh is well lush. Has anyone ever made a shell called lush? Gonna make it if not, to go alongside my LayDE.

Sebastian Cobb

There's zsh, that's close.

Ksh doesn't even have a scrollable history does it?

Bash and tmux is what the thinking man uses.

Twed

The scrollable history is part of the terminal, not the shell.

touchingcloth

I use vi as my terminal and emacs for my shell. Sue me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on February 14, 2019, 11:32:42 PM
The scrollable history is part of the terminal, not the shell.

Terminal client history is redundant as any proper shell keeps its own history. Its why typing 'history' in bash (or catting '.bash_history' does, you can also search it, or have it persist between clients.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2019, 11:39:41 PM
I use vi as my terminal and emacs for my shell. Sue me.

That's what she sed

Might just put my existence in /dev/null

a duncandisorderly

there's got to be an equivalent of godwin for when a perfectly innocent thread gets derailed by a debate on cli.

Sebastian Cobb

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 15, 2019, 12:11:18 AM
If there isn't can we call it bell's law?

cole slaw for all I care. I hate having to talk to computers in their language. I hate having to grep in a suse machine or whatever the fuck it is. they should learn english or fuck off home.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 15, 2019, 12:02:26 AM
That's what she sed

Might just put my existence in /dev/null

Mate, I awked my grep and ran it through some triple sed under the custom vim. I was using GNOME.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 15, 2019, 12:15:08 AM
cole slaw for all I care. I hate having to talk to computers in their language. I hate having to grep in a suse machine or whatever the fuck it is. they should learn english or fuck off home.

This is like someone filling their kitchen with single-purpose kitchen tat out the lakeland catalogue then complaining about chef's argue about their preferred knife and pot, but way more boring.

touchingcloth

A friend of mine was all "ooh Jaysus oh god, how do I run regular expressions through my mined data", and I was like, R sed, mate, cigs.

Golden E. Pump