Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ant and Dec cancelled [split topic]

Started by BritishHobo, February 15, 2019, 12:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Ant and Dec... CANCELLED

Although Ant has shown himself to be reasonably cancel-proof.

up_the_hampipe

Was that before one of the UK's most popular sketch shows, Little Britain, used blackface regularly?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 15, 2019, 12:16:19 PM
Ant and Dec... CANCELLED

On the Ant and Dec front there's lots of dodgy homophobia in the first episode of their Unzipped show from the 90s (which also features Richard Herring, Stewart Lee and Mark Heap, oddly enough) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPsp_5WF0OM

Ferris

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 15, 2019, 01:30:57 PM
Was that before one of the UK's most popular sketch shows, Little Britain, used blackface regularly?

Lucas and Walliams must be shitting themselves if cheeky chappies Ant 'n' Dec are under scrutiny.

Phil_A

Quote from: popcorn on February 15, 2019, 04:20:42 AM
Surely it's only a matter of time before Rivers Cuomo of Weezer is cancelled for his 90s shenanigans?

There must be more than a few nineties indie types feeling a bit uncomfortable at this point.

Who'll be next, Steve Albini? Robert Pollard? Wayne Coyne?

king_tubby

Albini is interesting. He's another one like Lee who would definitely have been #cancelled in the past, but who seems to have #uncancelled himself by not being such a bellend any more. There's a lot of good interviews about regarding this.

phantom_power

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 15, 2019, 12:16:19 PM
Ant and Dec... CANCELLED

I would think it was quite difficult to get cancelled for something that was broadcast on prime-time TV. Does that not show that, however dodgy it is now, it was at least in some way acceptable at the time?

Funcrusher

Quote from: king_tubby on February 15, 2019, 01:50:59 PM
Albini is interesting. He's another one like Lee who would definitely have been #cancelled in the past, but who seems to have #uncancelled himself by not being such a bellend any more. There's a lot of good interviews about regarding this.

I guess the protests and furore around Rapeman were the closest you got to #cancelling back in the day.

king_tubby

Yeah, that totally deserved a #cancelling.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on February 15, 2019, 01:55:56 PM
I would think it was quite difficult to get cancelled for something that was broadcast on prime-time TV. Does that not show that, however dodgy it is now, it was at least in some way acceptable at the time?

Of course it was accepted. No-one gave it a second look. Don't know why they had to be Jamaican/Japanese - for the laughs? Well that would be crap. Large black Caribbean ladies == laughs. Hmmm. Us whites love their over the top ways.

biggytitbo

It's a shame as they make such convincing and sympathetic black women.

What's this though, they trawling through the archives looking for stuff to be offended by now?

Puce Moment

People need to understand that the world was a very different place back in 2005. We can't judge people from our contemporary perspective all these years later.

ToneLa

Captain Z

Shooting Stars A Team sketch: Cancelled
Bo Selecta: Multiple cancellations
Chris Morris as Fur-q: Cancelled
Chris Morris as Sukie Bapswent: Double cancelled

Flouncer

I was just about to mention Bo Selecta! Where do you draw the line with this stuff? The Ant and Dec thing does seem pretty indefensible but partly because it's just not funny. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? If you're going to dress them up as women why do they have to be black? It's just weird that anyone came up with this so recently thinking, "That would be hilarious!"

Funcrusher

Quote from: king_tubby on February 15, 2019, 02:08:49 PM
Yeah, that totally deserved a #cancelling.

I've always suspected it was an intentional self cancelling. He seemed very uncomfortable with the level of success and exposure that Big Black ended up getting and some of the audience it pulled in, when he'd probably expected to be on a level with someone like Mission of Burma. Giving your band an almost unprintable name kind of assured a return to the cult leagues.

Blumf

I'm beginning to think ITV will never reboot Curry and Chips

jobotic

What's Albini doing in an Ant and Dec thread?

Fucking sell out.

Funcrusher

The PJ and Duncan comeback record is currently being recorded at Electrical Audio.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 15, 2019, 01:33:44 PM
Ant and Dec's Unzipped show from the 90s [...]
I looked that up on imdb, only to find that I wrote for it, of which I have absolutely no recollection.

Mind you, it's arguably not quite as extreme as when I was with a couple of cast members of "Absolutely," watching themselves in a sketch in an old episode, and neither of them having the faintest memory of writing it/acting it/anything about it.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 15, 2019, 02:22:58 PM
Of course it was accepted. No-one gave it a second look. Don't know why they had to be Jamaican/Japanese - for the laughs? Well that would be crap. Large black Caribbean ladies == laughs. Hmmm. Us whites love their over the top ways.

I thought it was broad, offensive shit at the time of broadcast. What do I win?

Herring wrote those sketches, if I recall. He certainly mentioned feeling a bit awkward about them on RHLSTP (rhlstp).

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 15, 2019, 01:30:57 PM

Yes - which was just after the League Of Gentlemen did

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 15, 2019, 02:24:53 PM
What's this though, they trawling through the archives looking for stuff to be offended by now?

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 15, 2019, 02:26:28 PM
People need to understand that the world was a very different place back in 2005. We can't judge people from our contemporary perspective all these years later.

that's a yes then

Ant and Dec have never exactly been comic trailblazers, this would just have been them responding to/copying Bo Selecta, Little Britain and others. Pretty indefensible even then if we're honest, but the culture of the time had newly legitimised it.

It's certainly more outrageous that ITV have welcomed a failed child murderer back with open arms.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: sick as a pike on February 15, 2019, 03:02:46 PM
I looked that up on imdb, only to find that I wrote for it, of which I have absolutely no recollection.

Mind you, it's arguably not quite as extreme as when I was with a couple of cast members of "Absolutely," watching themselves in a sketch in an old episode, and neither of them having the faintest memory of writing it/acting it/anything about it.

Well as long as you didn't write any of the prison rape gags, and the bit where Ant wants to beat someone up as they're gay, I shan't petition for you to be removed from the forum!

Chollis

Quote from: bim sherman shirts on February 15, 2019, 03:37:56 PMIt's certainly more outrageous that ITV have welcomed a failed child murderer back with open arms.

Stephen Mulhern?

Twed

I am not prepared to live in a world where Reeves and Mortimer are cancelled.

The Lurker

Quote from: Captain Z on February 15, 2019, 02:39:09 PM
Shooting Stars A Team sketch: Cancelled
Bo Selecta: Multiple cancellations
Chris Morris as Fur-q: Cancelled
Chris Morris as Sukie Bapswent: Double cancelled

There was that lookalike episode of Father Ted where the priests dressed (and blacked up) as The Supremes. Given that the show's written by Graham Linehan, I think that calls for a triple cancelled.

Flouncer

Glinner would probably just double down and spend every waking moment of his life haranguing black people.

George White

Quote from: The Lurker on February 15, 2019, 04:06:36 PM
There was that lookalike episode of Father Ted where the priests dressed (and blacked up) as The Supremes. Given that the show's written by Graham Linehan, I think that calls for a triple cancelled.
yes, but that was based on a real incident that happened. In the All Priests Show IIRC ,and in show it was supposed to be ridiculous and offensive.