Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:41:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old school sample and scratch heavy hip hop

Started by BeardFaceMan, February 15, 2019, 05:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I listened to a bit of hip hop as a kid in the 80s, mostly whatever was in the charts, Fresh Prince, Run DMC and that was about it. Then I heard NWA around 89/90 and it was all gangsta shit after that, especially the G Funk stuff, any other kind of hip hop barely got a look in. Then after a decade of that I got bored as shit with gangsta rap and more or less stopped listening to hop hop altogether.

I heard Fight The Power by Public Enemy last week, first time I'd heard it for a long, long time. And fuck me, it's great. So I listened to Fear Of A Black Planet in it's entirety for the first time and that's pretty bloody great too, these Bomb Squad Fellas know their shit don't they? So what I'm after now is some recommendations. Doesn't have to be old school, although it does feel like this kind of sample heavy music with lots of scratching and mixing is barely done anymore, but I'm after more of the same please, music-wise. When I say sample heavy, I don't mean a song built around one sample, more like the Bomb Squad approach where there's a half a dozen samples in there. Where do I go next?

I'm going to go and watch House Party while I wait.

Utter Shit

Listen to everything DJ Premier has ever produced. Ridiculously brilliant and all about the samples and scratches. Start with his Gang Starr stuff.

Brundle-Fly

Seems rather quaint now.

The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Television, the Drug of the Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky4uYnsF3kc

I knew the original first by Franti's former band, The Beatnigs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00NVXqc_zOk

Pingers

Don't Sweat the Technique by Eric B. and Rakim. Great samples, including a boss break.

Oh, it's samples and scratching you want, is it? Saturday Night by Schooly D

Rock the Bells by LL Cool J

Pingers

A bit cheesy but The Show by Doug E Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew is still classic old skool. And it does have an Inspector Gadget sample, so.

Pingers

Lewisham's finest: Blade, Mind of an Ordinary Citizen. He used to punt his records out on the street, now that is keeping it real. Seriously, if only hip hop was still this good, I've got things rushing up my spine.

Bobby Ralgex

Son of Bazerk - Bazerk Bazerk Bazerk! (1991)

Produced by The Bomb Squad.

Came out the year after Fear of a Black Planet and contains exactly the same sample-heavy style as the stuff you're looking for. Great album, this.

Son of Bazerk - One Time For The Rebel:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drbO-gYgWOg

jobotic

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 15, 2019, 06:27:26 PM
Listen to everything DJ Premier has ever produced. Ridiculously brilliant and all about the samples and scratches. Start with his Gang Starr stuff.

I would have said this if it hadn't been said.

BeardFaceMan

Some lovely stuff there, cheers heads. I take it there are no current big artists dong this kind of thing, other than the ones who are still around now from back then? That kind of sampling and scratching and mixing seemed to fall out of favour around the mid-ninties, replaced by minimal to no scratching and mixing and music based around a single sample.

jobotic

There's some good stuff on here (Barrow does plenty of scratching but the tracks themselves include what we're talking about).

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJ_Mix/portishead-essential-mix-1995-04-23/

Funcrusher

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 15, 2019, 06:27:26 PM

True, the greatest hip hop producer ever, although he's not really the guy for lots of samples - his thing is mostly a few perfectly chosen and edited samples, a couple of well chosen phrases scratched on the chorus, that's it. Genius minimalism.

the

Quote from: jobotic on February 16, 2019, 10:28:41 AMThere's some good stuff on here (Barrow does plenty of scratching but the tracks themselves include what we're talking about).

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJ_Mix/portishead-essential-mix-1995-04-23/

I believe the Portishead Essential Mix was done by DJ Andy Smith.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 16, 2019, 10:26:35 AMI take it there are no current big artists dong this kind of thing, other than the ones who are still around now from back then? That kind of sampling and scratching and mixing seemed to fall out of favour around the mid-ninties, replaced by minimal to no scratching and mixing and music based around a single sample.

The oft-quoted reason for the shift away from that style is because of the increased vigilance of sampling lawyers and the prohibitive cost of clearing samples. While this may be be true, I think there was also a very deliberate move on into more electronic production / 'futuristic' styles, decreasing the reliance hip hop had on 70s funk and soul as a backbone.

Meanwhile, just after the millennium, a lot of the old cut & scratch style was coming from the recorded output of turntablists (who were enjoying a peaking interest around then). Usually instrumental of course, but still packing that punch.

I don't think I've heard anyone profess any admiration for Mix Master Mike's own records, but Anti Theft Device and particularly Return Of The Cyklops are cracking albums.

MMM - Messy Marvin

In terms of "artists still doing this kind of thing" - they've finished up now, but for a long time Ugly Duckling carried the post-millennial torch for old school sample & scratch hip hop. Their output is incredibly solid, with scratch DJ / producer Young Einstein at the helm.

Ugly Duckling - Friday Night

Andy Cooper from UD now does a lot of stuff with The Allergies, who keep that old school funk driven thing going on, though the scratchy side less so.

Sebastian Cobb

That essential mix is fantastic. Up there with the Psychonauts one in terms of goodness.

If you want a very good portishead mix then this is the ticket:
http://entitee.net/blog/?p=85

hermitical

Anyone come across the DJ Premier King Preemo bootlegs? Is it just a multi-volume set of stuff he's produced/worked on that someone has put together?

A few other possibles? The Alchemist, Apollo Brown, Marco Polo

jobotic

Quote from: the on February 16, 2019, 11:30:20 AM
I believe the Portishead Essential Mix was done by DJ Andy Smith.

I believe you're right.

jobotic

Somewhere in a box I can't find I have some mixes done by Premier (that I out in to CDRs) that I must have downloaded when i first got broadband. They were fantastic.

I'll post in them in 7 years when i find them.

Sebastian Cobb

Only tangelittaly related to this thread, but Louis Slippers did some fantastic UK hip hop mixes.

BeardFaceMan

That looks like the way to go then, is with DJs and turntablists who make mixes of hip hop records rather than the records themselves if I want anything that isnt proper old school?

monkfromhavana

MF Doom, Atmosphere, Brother Ali......ok, not much scratching but loads of samples.

buzby

Quote from: the on February 16, 2019, 11:30:20 AM
I don't think I've heard anyone profess any admiration for Mix Master Mike's own records, but Anti Theft Device and particularly Return Of The Cyklops are cracking albums.

MMM - Messy Marvin
I love Mike's records. His Bangzilla album is a cracker too (I picked a brand new shrinkwrapped copy up a few years ago in Home & Bargain of all places for a pound)

On the turntablism/Essential Mix front, The Scratch Perverts' Essential Mix from 2004 is a corker.

phantom_power

3 Feet High and Rising is obviously the king of sample albums, along with Paul's Boutique but I really love De La's little-loved third album, Bulhoone Mind State

Utter Shit

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 16, 2019, 10:53:23 AM
True, the greatest hip hop producer ever, although he's not really the guy for lots of samples - his thing is mostly a few perfectly chosen and edited samples, a couple of well chosen phrases scratched on the chorus, that's it. Genius minimalism.

The thing I find genius about Premo is that he seems to be able to mix samples from different songs and make them sound like they were made to be listened to together. I've a good ear for samples that will make good hip-hop beats and have learned how to chop them up to fit the drums nicely, but I genuinely have no idea how, beyond trial and error, Premo manages to find samples that work so perfectly together.

BeardFaceMan

Just had a look through my old CDs, I've got a couple of mixes by the likes of Scratch Perverts, DJ Stylez, Danger Mouse & Jemini, got some sort of Jazzy Jeff mixtape I downloaded too, theyre all next in my play list. I must have got those CDs back when I started buying Hip Hop Connection to see if it would get me back into it around 2000 or so. They put Richard Blackwood on the cover. So it didnt.

I'll give MMM a go but I have to stay away from the Beasties I'm afraid, that whiny, nasaly tone of voice makes my shit itch.

Oh also been listening to Critical Beatdown by Ultramagnetic MCs after Neil recommended them to me ages ago but I never gave them a proper go. Cheers fella!

Petey Pate

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on February 16, 2019, 07:20:23 AM
Son of Bazerk - Bazerk Bazerk Bazerk! (1991)

Produced by The Bomb Squad.

Came out the year after Fear of a Black Planet and contains exactly the same sample-heavy style as the stuff you're looking for. Great album, this.

Son of Bazerk - One Time For The Rebel:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drbO-gYgWOg

Very underrated record. It was recorded in conjunction with Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, another sample heavy Bomb Squad production. The opening track of Bazerk's album even uses the same samples (though arranged differently) as AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted (the song).

The Quietus did a good write up of Son of Bazerk a few years ago.

https://thequietus.com/articles/20323-son-of-bazerk-review

Mr Banlon

phantom_power

Endtroducing and The Private Press by DJ Shadow, obv.