Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:39:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old school sample and scratch heavy hip hop

Started by BeardFaceMan, February 15, 2019, 05:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

This many posts in and the X-Ecutioners have not been mentioned is quite simply astounding, yes the album came out in 2000, but Built From Scratch is phenomenal, if you want a scratch itch, its all on the utube.

Lord Mandrake

Cut Chemist, Stones Throw records, Adrian Younge.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Bazooka on February 18, 2019, 03:45:49 PM
This many posts in and the X-Ecutioners have not been mentioned is quite simply astounding, yes the album came out in 2000, but Built From Scratch is phenomenal, if you want a scratch itch, its all on the utube.

Ooh I forgot I had that one, I have a soft spot for the album they did with Mike Patton too, thats another 2 on my playlist.

Thats reminded me of beatboxing, I remember some stuff Patton did with Rahzel which was pretty sweet. Is anyone still carrying the beatboxing flag or did that die out too?

Pingers

Aargh, I wish I had the time to listen to all this. Can someone please pay my mortgage off so I can afford to go part time cheers

the

This thread keeps reminding me of the teetering pile of charity shop finds I haven't worked through, including Built From Scratch and Rahzel's Make The Music 2000 (and this despite having been to one of his shows around the time that the album came out).

Bobby Ralgex

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 18, 2019, 01:39:13 PM
Very underrated record. It was recorded in conjunction with Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, another sample heavy Bomb Squad production. The opening track of Bazerk's album even uses the same samples (though arranged differently) as AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted (the song).

The Quietus did a good write up of Son of Bazerk a few years ago.

https://thequietus.com/articles/20323-son-of-bazerk-review

At least someone here has heard of this!
Marvellous stuff.

phantom_power

Brainfreeze and Product Placement are great mixes as well with lots of sample fodder

Bobby Ralgex

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 18, 2019, 12:41:54 PM
Just had a look through my old CDs, I've got a couple of mixes by the likes of Scratch Perverts, DJ Stylez, Danger Mouse & Jemini, got some sort of Jazzy Jeff mixtape I downloaded too, theyre all next in my play list. I must have got those CDs back when I started buying Hip Hop Connection to see if it would get me back into it around 2000 or so. They put Richard Blackwood on the cover. So it didnt.

I'll give MMM a go but I have to stay away from the Beasties I'm afraid, that whiny, nasaly tone of voice makes my shit itch.

Oh also been listening to Critical Beatdown by Ultramagnetic MCs after Neil recommended them to me ages ago but I never gave them a proper go. Cheers fella!

you know fuck all

Bobby Ralgex

y7

popcorn

If you are interested in hip hop, I recommend checking out "Eminem".

Bobby Ralgex

Lovely bloke. Buys his mum flowers from that petrol station in Solihull Lodge opposite that primary school every year.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 20, 2019, 03:10:08 AM
you know fuck all

Well, that is the entire point of the thread. Thanks for having a go at joining in, though.

boki

the

Strong smell of alcohol on the Ralgex posts there :)

Let's have some scratchy Brit hop with Hijack - Hold No Hostage

Does anybody here scratch? (INSERT PUBIC JOKE) I do on occasion but my technique is sloppy. And I still can't do a crab (INSERT THE OTHER PUBIC JOKE)

Quote from: the on September 20, 2019, 12:27:05 PM
Strong smell of alcohol on the Ralgex posts there :)

Let's have some scratchy Brit hop with Hijack - Hold No Hostage

Does anybody here scratch? (INSERT PUBIC JOKE) I do on occasion but my technique is sloppy. And I still can't do a crab (INSERT THE OTHER PUBIC JOKE)

Some friends of mine lived for it during the 90's/00's, they even had Qbert come down and stay with them in Bournemouth for the weekend once when they put on a show locally.

https://soundcloud.com/aquaskyuk/aquasky-the-outkastz-hip-hop

You (probably wouldn't) be surprised at the endless conversations about the ahh sound that could be had when we all worked together (in a data storage library with crazy down time)

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 15, 2019, 06:27:26 PM
Listen to everything DJ Premier has ever produced. Ridiculously brilliant and all about the samples and scratches. Start with his Gang Starr stuff.

Well said. Step in the arena is classic.

Try Main Source Splitting the atom. Full of great samples