Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:13:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Week #CANCELLED

Started by Phil_A, February 15, 2019, 08:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

No really, they've cancelled it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/this-week-bbc-cancelled-andrew-neill-quits-politics-live-a8780521.html

QuoteThe BBC's long-running politics show This Week will end after Andrew Neil announced he was stepping down as host.

The late-night show, which airs on Thursdays after Question Time on BBC One, will end this summer following the conclusion of its current series, the BBC has said.

Fran Unsworth, BBC director of news, said: "We couldn't imagine This Week without the inimitable Andrew Neil, one of Britain's best political interviewers. After 16 years, Andrew is bowing out of late-night presenting on the show, at the top of his game."

CHINNIEST OF RECKONS

QuoteNeil will continue to present Politics Live on Thursdays, as Unsworth added that the BBC wants to keep the 69-year-old "at the heart" of its political coverage

Fucksake, just go mate if you're going.

Sebastian Cobb

Hope they take Portillo out the back and shoot him like a useless racehorse.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 15, 2019, 08:08:40 PM

I feel it would be more appropriate to throw him from a high-speed train. Or in front of one.

BlodwynPig

A recent survey found that around 63% of the global rail network was covered in Portillo faeces by December 2018.

Bennett Brauer

I like the way the Indy's url misspells his name the same way Private Eye does to annoy him.

Flouncer

They could take him on one last Great British Railway Journey and throw the cunt off a train as it goes over Ribblehead Viaduct.

MidnightShambler

As much as I hate Portillo's politics (and therefore him, I suppose) by all accounts he's a nice fella on a personal level. I live a couple of miles away from the 'deprived area' that he lived in for a week a few years ago. I think he was playing mum and bringing the kids up on her budget, something like that. Anyway, I know a few people who live there who are quite positive about him, he was genuinely concerned about the area and he's since been back quite a few times entirely without any press coverage and done quite a bit for the people there, paid for things out of his own pocket and helped a lot of kids get opportunities that they otherwise might not have had in terms of work and placements etc. I really don't like the idea the man isn't a cunt but it seems like he does have some redeeming features.

On the other hand, though, it sort of makes it worse that he's experienced all this and is still a Tory. So fuck him.

Sebastian Cobb

It's not so much his politics that makes me hate him, it's his entire demeanor on the telly. Same odious privlaged mush that Piers Morgan has. Talks over and refuses to listen to people on This Week.

I'm sure he's less of an arsehole with his media hat on though. We are what we pretend to be, etc.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 15, 2019, 09:22:53 PM
As much as I hate Portillo's politics (and therefore him, I suppose) by all accounts he's a nice fella on a personal level. I live a couple of miles away from the 'deprived area' that he lived in for a week a few years ago. I think he was playing mum and bringing the kids up on her budget, something like that. Anyway, I know a few people who live there who are quite positive about him, he was genuinely concerned about the area and he's since been back quite a few times entirely without any press coverage and done quite a bit for the people there, paid for things out of his own pocket and helped a lot of kids get opportunities that they otherwise might not have had in terms of work and placements etc. I really don't like the idea the man isn't a cunt but it seems like he does have some redeeming features.

On the other hand, though, it sort of makes it worse that he's experienced all this and is still a Tory. So fuck him.

at least when matthew parris did the same thing thirty-odd years earlier, he had the good grace to quit politics & do something far more useful instead. portillo is just a glory-boy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Parris

MidnightShambler

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 15, 2019, 09:29:39 PM
at least when matthew parris did the same thing thirty-odd years earlier, he had the good grace to quit politics & do something far more useful instead. portillo is just a glory-boy.

Exactly. That's why I said it's even worse that he knows all this and is still a Tory..

Avril Lavigne

I hope they take him out the front and race him like a useless shithorse.

Bennett Brauer

QuoteAlastair Campbell called Parris "a little shit" in his diaries, to which Parris responded "I'd rather be a little shit than a big cunt".

hummingofevil

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 15, 2019, 09:22:53 PM

I sat next to him in a restaurant in Taormina. If anyone knows it, it was the one next to the path up to the arena with all photos of famous people eating there on the wall. He was with his mother. They didn't ask him for a snap. He was very handsome in real life but has a massive arse. Like a proper too fruity booty. Seemed alright considering what a cunt I thought he was.

hummingofevil

Also as much as I hate This Week it did inspire one of my favourite comedy bits ever. There was a bit in one of the John Kearns shows where he talked about having a recurring daydream fantasy where he was a giant baby in a cot; looking up to see Portillo, Abbot and O'Neil peaking in over the bars. Always loved that mental image.

biggytitbo

Portillo probably is a very nice fella but he lives in a different universe (not literally...probably)

I reckon this all stems from Neil's drunken tweet about Carole 'Codswallop'. The BBC wanted him to apologise and he told them to go fuck themselves.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 15, 2019, 11:17:53 PM
Portillo probably is a very nice fella but he lives in a different universe (not literally...probably)

Oh no, he's an utter cunt. Never missed an opportunity on that shitty rag of a programme to state unequivocally that Labour are an anti semitic party. He even had a go at the party for being 'woman hating' after that pathetic 'stupid woman' brouhaha.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 16, 2019, 12:32:14 AM
Oh no, he's an utter cunt. Never missed an opportunity on that shitty rag of a programme to state unequivocally that Labour are an anti semitic party. He even had a go at the party for being 'woman hating' after that pathetic 'stupid woman' brouhaha.

He shot down Bobbie Gillespie with 'typical musician, advocating SPACE COMMUNISM' before he'd even really said anything. Neil and the rest of the posse all joined in on that one.

holyzombiejesus

He's given so much respect too. Yes, we've heard from the woman/ ex postman, now let's get the truth from the clause 28 voting disingenuous liar.

Sebastian Cobb

The whole 'I lived in a shithole and realised poors are disadvantaged so am helping this community with my charitable contributions' is so shit as well.

I realise poors are disadvantaged and am not on the breadline, if only there were some centralised system to make sure people like me could make sure people nationally didn't starve.

holyzombiejesus

BUT HE WEARS COLOURFUL SHIRTS!! Choo choo!

Paul Calf

QuoteParris attempted to out himself in a late-night debate in the House of Commons in 1984, but failed when nobody noticed.

Bleak.

imitationleather

I have a horrible feeling that Andrew Neil is going to become the BBC's election coverage guy.

Buelligan

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on February 15, 2019, 10:27:43 PM
I hope they take him out the front and race him like a useless shithorse.

I love this. In the old days I would've karma'd you up like a kipper.

Also, as I think I've mentioned before, I fucking loathe Andrew Neil and Portillo's a shithorse.

biggytitbo

Probably the most embaressing thing ever broadcast was on this week when Neil, Portaloo and guests did their own wretched version of Peter Kays Road to amarillo video. There wasn't anyone watching who didn't cringe themselves inside out and wouldn't happily have seen them both shot. It was even worse than when Kathy Newman did Gangnanm style on channel 4 news, if you can imagine that's possible.

imitationleather

Konki

I feel awful saying this but I really enjoy Portillo's railway programme. He always seems genuinely interested in the people he meets and his vast array of colourful trousers never fails to astonish me.

biggytitbo

He's got an enormous arse and one of the strangest walks of all time.

biggytitbo

Quote from: imitationleather on February 16, 2019, 08:48:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WatIJlrIc_k

That might be even worse, I seem to remember a wizard of oz one that made me want to gouge my eyes and eardrums out too.

petril

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 16, 2019, 08:36:06 AM
Probably the most embaressing thing ever broadcast was on this week when Neil, Portaloo and guests did their own wretched version of Peter Kays Road to amarillo video. There wasn't anyone watching who didn't cringe themselves inside out and wouldn't happily have seen them both shot. It was even worse than when Kathy Newman did Gangnanm style on channel 4 news, if you can imagine that's possible.

sadly nobody actually make any move to actually shoot them. would've been good telly

MidnightShambler

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 16, 2019, 09:08:42 AM
He's got an enormous arse and one of the strangest walks of all time.

I prefer Bill Turnbull's womanly thighs.