Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:02:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why aren't young people more politically active?

Started by Sebastian Cobb, February 15, 2019, 10:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Is it because when they express themselves politically before they are allowed to vote they get labelled as shirkers?

Of course if you didn't go to public school and the right university you're just still skiving when you try and do something political during the Sixth Form and Uni years.

I don't get the laziness argument anyway, in the early 2000's there was a walk-out at my school about Iraq, did we want a skive? Yes. Did we want a war? Not really. Would we have bunked off to kick out asylum seekers or support the BNP? Nah, probably not.

Even now I'd jump on the bandwagon for a strike I vaguely agree with, but would never get on board with one that I vaguely didn't.

I personally think it's excellent that the Tories are making themselves as unpopular as possible with teenagers who will soon be reaching voting age.  A sure way to ensure that someone won't vote for you is to disparage and belittle their actions.  More of this kind of thing!

PlanktonSideburns

ToneLa

Always worth a bleak laugh when virtue signalling is called out despite the virtue here being, well, actually virtuous.

Predictable upside: no young uns who did this want Tory approval. Must feel boss to piss off The Man! When you overlook the fact they're fucking you over...

Danger Man

Malala Yousafzai won the Nobel Prize while still at school for her campaign that all children should have an education.

Perhaps she should have just picked up some litter in Birmingham.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Darles Chickens on February 15, 2019, 11:14:04 PM
I personally think it's excellent that the Tories are making themselves as unpopular as possible with teenagers who will soon be reaching voting age.  A sure way to ensure that someone won't vote for you is to disparage and belittle their actions.  More of this kind of thing!

This.

Long may the youth loathe the Tories with all the passion and energy they can muster.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Darles Chickens on February 15, 2019, 11:14:04 PM

The best part about the tories is they never get young people. Their attempt at young people was exactly like the Young Ones 'nosin around' sketch.

finnquark

Always love the claim that student absences inflate my workload, when actually a few politically active students taking part in a protest reduces my class sizes more effectively than any measure taken by this wankstain of a government.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: finnquark on February 15, 2019, 11:39:44 PM
Always love the claim that student absences inflate my workload, when actually a few politically active students taking part in a protest reduces my class sizes more effectively than any measure taken by this wankstain of a government.

It's a long time since I was in school, surely if most of the class is gone then you just put a video on? Although the only ones left might be spods, in which case you just tell them to crack on with a chapter of their exercise books.

Jittlebags

I bet Rees Mogg is quivering in his Bentley. Either through fear of the huddled masses arising, or more likely being given a hand shandy by his Thai nanny.

finnquark

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 15, 2019, 11:48:36 PM
It's a long time since I was in school, surely if most of the class is gone then you just put a video on? Although the only ones left might be spods, in which case you just tell them to crack on with a chapter of their exercise books.

Not really. Didn't have any off anyway, so just carried on as per.

Twed

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1099076130089459712

Check out this disgusting piece of shit.

"Well children, I was elected by a plurality and that makes me not have to listen to any of you."

I hope they came away from that feeling that they're learned what disgusting old cunts are, rather than feeling admonished.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on February 23, 2019, 12:06:31 AM
https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1099076130089459712

Check out this disgusting piece of shit.

"Well children, I was elected by a plurality and that makes me not have to listen to any of you."

I hope they came away from that feeling that they're learned what disgusting old cunts are, rather than feeling admonished.

She should just be tipped into a bin. Awful human being. Of no use to the future planet.

Kryton

ToneLa

Twed

Quote from: hermitical on February 23, 2019, 12:23:41 AM
that's heartbreaking
Yep. How dare she talk down to children, all of whom know more than her about literally everything.

Twed

Quote from: hermitical on February 23, 2019, 12:27:19 AM

"Child, would you like some sweeties in exchange for supporting my opinions?"
Child: No, that would clearly be unethical.

Twed

Turns out those children were planted by Putin

(I know, this is just one whacko, but it is representative)

ToneLa

Many young people have nothing.

Why you'd expect them to hang out in car parks with fuckin thieving, property owning landlords who absolutely fucking believe in things like their vote more than a starving person eating is a non question to me. They don't, and if someone suggested your youth would have been better spent listening to dessicated old fucks who got everything sewn up, well, I don't guess your reaction but if it's complicity you're fucked.

I know and talk to a lot of young people. I'm not old, but I'm not a kid. I just think they're being young people.

I mean, fuck being William Hague, so political his youth was spent in the Tory party!

The ethical thing to do would be govern with a view to look after even those who don't believe in it. Radical, that.

Twed

Twed

Meanwhile, in the office of that fucking tortoise cunt Mitch McConnell, the young are being arrested:

https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmt/status/1100072848633352193

idunnosomename

the perpetual growth necessary for free-market capitalism means the death of our planet: this is a pretty obvious thing so children understand it

stupid deluded old cunts with their deliveries from ocado and majestic are deluded by their vast sums of money and think they control the proles via the newspapers

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Really hope kids take this on, I could see this being big in areas with disenfranchised middle class like Greece.

tookish

Most of the young people I know are very politically active and knowledgeable, much more so than those around me seemed to be when I was a teen.

Being politically active has changed a lot, in that social media campaigns are often more effective ways to mobilise young people than waving placards. Both are valid ways of attempting to affect social change in my opinion.

Soup Dogg

The kids give me hope, and even when I'm baffled by the media consume and the way they live. Maybe I'm naive tho.

Because its so boring. Better off just trying to make a load of money so you can afford to ignore reality

Twed

Yes kids, take advice from the man who runs a pub online