Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:04:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

One Cut Of The Dead

Started by SteveDave, February 16, 2019, 01:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I don't think anything will beat this as my film of the year this year.

My advice is to go in cold and stick with it.

I'll write more when not on my phone so I can do spoilers/transparent text and whatnot.

BlodwynPig

Small Man Big Horse

I loved it a great deal, but revealing what it's about would spoil it. But it's basically a zombie movie with a unique twist and one I absolutely loved. If you really want it spoiled: It's "The Zombie Movie That Goes Wrong", essentially. But if you have any interest in watching the movie at all I wouldn't read the spoiler text.

BlodwynPig

SteveDave

My heart hasn't been as warmed by a film for a long time.

Bazooka

Watched it a few months ago, was vocally criticising up on until the story takes a turn, and then loved it, had me belly laughing at points. As mentioned, really hard to say too much or it ruins the well executed twist.

Osmium

It did kind of win me around. I thought it was more clever than entertaining though. It's a bold move to make half of your film deliberately shite.

Avril Lavigne

As someone whose interest was piqued by the first post I must say I'd be surprised if anyone reading this thread hasn't already worked out the twist at this point.

Rev+

Does not knowing about the the twist matter?  I've no idea how it was marketed, but knowing that it's one third one thing and two thirds another doesn't really rob it of anything.  It's always a bit better to go in 'blind', no matter which film you're watching, but this isn't ruined by knowing how it's structured.

Knowing that there's something coming might get you through the frankly dull opening stretch.  It doesn't start well, and I'd have consigned this to the pile had I not known that it'd become something rather sweet.  How would you market what it actually is, though?

Spoiler:  (Other than the true successor to the feature film version of 'The Wizard of Speed and Time')

steveh

I thought this was a fun watch and even rather endearing by the end but didn't quite live up to the hype it's had from its distributors and some film websites. It's done over 250 times its £20K budget though so I seem to be in a minority in not being completely wowed.

Mini

I loved it, most I've laughed at the cinema for ages and found it genuinely heartwarming, not to mention smart and ingeniously choreographed. 5 thumbs up.

kidsick5000

I got to meet the director (which was nice). He made it fo a stunningly small amount - even for an indie production (around £20,000).
It's got some huge laughs in there and I've not often heard a cinema applaud a film before it's even ended, but (for those who have seen it) *that* moment caused so much emotion.

This year will have to see 10 truly exceptional films to knock this from my top 10 list.

POM!

Alberon

You do have to wait for the last third for it all to come together, but that last bit does contain several really good sections. To get there you do have to endure forty minutes of what seems like terrible acting and very shoddy production, which is only then shown to be neither over the last hour.

And then of course you get the end credits where they show you how it was really, really shot.

Greatest film of the year? No. But what they achieved for so little is amazing and I'll always value small productions like this over $300m CGI soulless shitfests.

thraxx

Thanks for the rec, I went in as suggested without knowing a thing and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm still not sure what you mean by *that* moment.  Unless you mean coming out the other side being a little bit in love with Yuzuki Akiyama.  There a handful of very funny genuine LOL moments and also you have that thing where you go "oh, yes, now that is clever" admiration kind of feeling.

Twed

I watched this with spoilers (not understanding them fully) and somehow they didn't spoil it, because the real spoiler would be telling somebody how incredibly heartwarming it is.

lazarou

Quote from: thraxx on February 24, 2019, 09:27:37 PM
Thanks for the rec, I went in as suggested without knowing a thing and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm still not sure what you mean by *that* moment.  Unless you mean coming out the other side being a little bit in love with Yuzuki Akiyama.  There a handful of very funny genuine LOL moments and also you have that thing where you go "oh, yes, now that is clever" admiration kind of feeling.

*That* moment has to be the climax of the "crane shot".

Anyway, this was wonderful, absolutely loved it. Anyone bored enough to follow my twitter knows I have a huge weak spot for modern Japanese b-movies anyway, so this couldn't have been more in my wheelhouse, really. Even after hearing so much about it it was so much more than I expected.

Mister Six

Just want to echo the adoration for this. Went in knowing nothing other than it was a zombie thing with a very long, unbroken take and that people seem to love it. Came out utterly delighted. The second act is saggy as fuck, but it's setting up so much for the third - and the third is so splendid - that it doesn't diminish the film for me. Amazing.

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed that they've made a sort of sequel known as One Cut of the Dead in Hollywood, a 57 minute film that "boasts more zealous zombies and the former cast beefed up with international characters". http://thirdwindowfilms.com/films/one-cut-of-the-dead-hollywood-edition/

Sounds a bit dodgy to me despite my love for the original, but out of interest has anyone seen it? It's not on any of the torrent sites that I can see, but perhaps someone's shockingly actually paid money for it / it's on a private site somewhere?

Alberon

I thought that was more of a remake than a sequel, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

purlieu

I'll have a peek at it if I stumble across it anywhere.

Absolutely loved the original, as I'd downloaded it months before watching, and thus forgotten there was even any "don't spoil it!" hype around it, just another film. I was a little puzzled by the start, but the direction it went in was obviously a complete surprise, and really just an utter joy.

Chedney Honks

I only watched about twenty minutes of this but I will go back. If I like it, I'll throw money at the new release because Third Window Films do great work for not enormous reward.

Mister Six

The first 20 minutes absolutely do not get across the greatness of the film. It needs to be watched to the very end, ideally in one sitting.

Chedney Honks

I'm sure. I don't know the twist but I know I can't judge it off the first twenty.

I tend to watch films in chunks because I don't often have the time to watch more than an hour at once. Sunday afternoons are my matinée opportunities when I like to sit down, where possible, and watch a film in full, but I have so much on the list this isn't in the top 50 right now.

purlieu

It is absolutely a film that needs to be watched in one sitting. So much of it requires you to keep an eye on everything that's going on. Leave it until you have an hour and a half to properly absorb yourself, because it truly benefits from it.

petercussing

Chunk watcher! Watch this film, chunk watcher, it's one of the most joyous films you can see of all time, is true, no fuck around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AsparagusTrevor

I watched this yesterday, not knowing anything about it beyond the synopsis. I absolutely loved it of course, and now I'm trying to recommend it to everyone I know. It's odd having to give several caveats when recommending what I'm introducing as one of the best films I've seen in ages.

I watched this a few months ago and like many people, I was ready for switching it off after about 40 minutes but heeded the warnings and stuck with it.  So glad I did.  Very clever movie.

Bad Ambassador

It's on All4 for the next three weeks.

It's also being remade in France as Final Cut, from the director of The Artist.

The Mollusk

Thanks for the heads up about it being in All4, just watched this after vaguely forgetting about it on and off throughout the last couple of years. Really really enjoyed it, I didn't know any spoilers and went in totally blind so
Spoiler alert
I was expecting the reveal to be something along the lines of it actually ACTUALLY being a horror film where someone ends up being killed for real, and I was delighted when it turned out the whole thing (well, most of it) turned out to be really flipping adorable and heartwarming
[close]

Yeah. I go into films as blind as I can.
I just thought it was going to be a straight up horror film,
Spoiler alert
so I was shaking my fist at the screen and wiping away a tear when they trojan horsed a feelgood family comedy into my life! Really good film. Rides the line perfectly where the cheesiness actually works in it's favour.
[close]