Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:24:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists you don't listen to anymore but reckon you should.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, February 16, 2019, 02:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I'm making this thread because I saw it was 21 years since Asian Dub Foundation released Rafi's Revenge and thought 'i've not listened to them in years'. I bought Community Music when I was about 12 and didn't understand what it was going on about (figuratively), but knew it was great. Then I thought about other bands from that era I'd not heard in ages.

Skunk Anansie (have them on right now)
The Eels (beautiful Freak is ace)
Death in Vegas

ToneLa

Got absolutely sick of Arcade Fire but I should probably learn to like them again

Even if it feels their lyrics could be summarised by the phrase 'come on, kids!'

Been massively binging Aphex Twin, who I ignored for years and years despite being proper obsessed about fifteen years ago

MidnightShambler

I never really got Eels at all. The odd nice track but it just never really went anywhere for me. One of those things we're I'm definitely in the minority though, I know loads of people who adore them so maybe it's just me.

I haven't listened to Leonard Cohen for ages, I had a two year binge in my mid-20s and I think I ruined him for myself.

Thin White Rope, now I think about it. Must rectify that soon.

Absorb the anus burn

Klaus Schulze.

I used to play him all of the time and now he hardly gets a spin...... Why? I know not.

DrGreggles

purlieu

I'm long overdue a Blur binge. They're one of my favourite bands but I probably haven't listened to them in-depth since the harrowing disappointment of Think Tank. I want to buy that Blur 21 boxset with all the deluxe 2CD albums, rarities and DVDs in. Maybe when I get a nice slab of money.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: purlieu on February 17, 2019, 10:12:51 PM
I'm long overdue a Blur binge. They're one of my favourite bands but I probably haven't listened to them in-depth since the harrowing disappointment of Think Tank. I want to buy that Blur 21 boxset with all the deluxe 2CD albums, rarities and DVDs in. Maybe when I get a nice slab of money.

I was thinking Blur but then I remembered playing The Magic Whip a couple of weeks ago so I thought it shouldn't count. Talking of that album, I think it's probably their best after Parklife. Can't think of many bands who've had a comeback album as good as that, if any at all.

purlieu

I was so far out of a Blur mood when it came out that I listened to it about ten times and got rid of it, but I think I'd probably appreciate it a lot more these days (as I would Damon's solo record). They're definitely on a list of artists who I really need to revisit soon.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: purlieu on February 17, 2019, 10:54:33 PM
I was so far out of a Blur mood when it came out that I listened to it about ten times and got rid of it, but I think I'd probably appreciate it a lot more these days (as I would Damon's solo record). They're definitely on a list of artists who I really need to revisit soon.

I thought it was a gem from the first listen But then again I was just really happy to have new material. I think I like it more now than I did then though, so it must be alright.
I think the only thing Damon Albarn has done that I've absolutely fucking hated was his solo album, I just thought it was so slow and tedious that it was almost a pisstake. I listened to it about 6 times and never bothered again, I've tried to put it on a few times since and I just can't face it!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 16, 2019, 03:41:14 PM
Cardigans

I got a couple of the recent reissues and they're fucking dreadful. I loved them back in the day and thought Life was such a good record. As it is, I have no desire to ever hear it again. Even Carnival sounded a bit shit, although I did hear it almost every Saturday night for several years.

I listened to some Sonic Youth that wasn't Daydream Nation for the first time in about 20 years today. It was good!