Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adolf Hitler is dead

Started by Alberon, February 16, 2019, 03:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Well, the actor who played him in a million youtube videos, oh and in a 2004 film, Downfall.

QuoteBruno Ganz, who played Hitler in the 2004 film Downfall, has died aged 77.

The Swiss actor died at home in Zurich on Friday night, his management said.

Ganz was well-known in German-language cinema and theatre and also had roles in English-language films including The Reader and The Manchurian Candidate.

His most famous role, however, was as Adolf Hitler in Downfall. One particular scene depicting Hitler in apoplectic fury became a meme and spawned thousands of parodies online.

The film, called Der Untergang in German, told the story of Hitler's final days in his Berlin bunker. It grossed $92m (£71.3m) at box offices around the world when it was released.

In 2005 Ganz told The Guardian newspaper that he spent four months preparing for the role, studying historical records including a secretly-recorded tape of Hitler and observing people with Parkinson's disease, which he came to believe the dictator had.

But he said: "I cannot claim to understand Hitler. Even the witnesses who had been in the bunker with him were not really able to describe the essence of the man.

"He had no pity, no compassion, no understanding of what the victims of war suffered."

Ganz, the most famous Swiss actor, had a rich and varied career. He appeared in Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) and played an angel in Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire (1987) and its sequel Faraway, So Close! (1993).

He appeared in genres including noir - The American Friend (1977) - and science fiction - The Boys from Brazil (1978), which starred Sir Laurence Olivier. In 2008 he had a role in The Baader Meinhof Complex and his last role was in Lars von Trier's 2018 film The House that Jack Built.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Downfall video where Hitler learns he's dead has already been uploaded to Youtube, but I'm not going to search for it.

Brilliant in Éric Rohmer's wonderful, underrated The Marquise of O...

biggytitbo

Are we sure he's not in Argentina?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Alberon on February 16, 2019, 03:05:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a Downfall video where Hitler learns he's dead has already been uploaded to Youtube, but I'm not going to search for it.

There is...sort of.  Rather than a parody, it's more of an affectionate tribute to Ganz in that role.

But I'm sure a proper parody vid will appear sooner or later.

Cold Meat Platter

jobotic

Cold Meat Platter

Twed

...serious about going to Itchy and Scratchy Land!

Replies From View

Epic Bisto

RIP. I really need to watch The American Friend again, which co-stars Dennis Hopper in the middle of his Looney Toad Quack period.

Pseudopath

Say what you like about Adolf Hitler...but he did kill Adolf Hitler.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 16, 2019, 07:24:17 PM
Say what you like about Adolf Hitler...but he did kill Adolf Hitler.

A tragic victim of the predestination paradox.  :(

idunnosomename

not a fan personally... but rip big man

PaulTMA

His favourite band was No Age

St_Eddie

Mostly, I shall miss his genocidal tendencies.

touchingcloth

When I first watched Downfall, I was surprised to find it was actually really fucking good. So much so that it was about halfway through that scene when I stopped suspending my disbelief and thought "oh! This is that scene!"

I can quote the whole thing these days. "Steiner ... Steiner ... Ich bedauere, dass ich meine Kinder in eine Steiner-Schule geschickt habe". Brilliant.

Kelvin

He was excellent as Hannibal Lector.

wosl

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 16, 2019, 03:13:52 PMBrilliant in Éric Rohmer's wonderful, underrated The Marquise of O...

Never been able to hack that.  Love Rohmer to bits, but have always struggled with his period things.  Ganz, meanwhile, was wonderful in The American Friend, and, it's a good bet, in other films I've yet to see (hearing the sad news gives me a yen to see what sort of things he was doing earlier on in his film and TV career).

Quote from: wosl on February 17, 2019, 03:23:13 PM
Never been able to hack that.  Love Rohmer to bits, but have always struggled with his period things.

Gotta say that i loved Marquise but found Perceval unbelievably dull

Replies From View

Even while the man was sinking his moustache played its fucking heart out on the drums.

It sounded shite.

chveik

Mark Steels Stockbroker

There's a dull chase thriller starring Liam Neeson, which has one good scene in which Ganz (who played Hitler), meets Frank Langhella (who played Nixon).

Sadly, because of Liam, this scene will never be seen again, even though he wasn't in it.

hedgehog90

SHIT!
Maybe one for the 'obvious things you've only just realised' thread...
I've just realised this was the same guy from Nosferatu the Vampyre, The American Friend and Wings of Desire.
I'm listening to the commentary from The American Friend with Wim Wenders and Dennis Hopper right now, and they mentioned him being quite seriously ill at the time of recording (back in 2002), so I googled him and was shocked to discover that he was dead Hitler from 2 weeks ago!
I've seen Downfall but I would have never guessed they were the same actor.

Sherman Krank

Seeing this thread still bobbing around on the first page has reminded me that I was going to do a joke about how the death of Ganz has finally ended speculation about a Downfall sequel but at the time I couldn't decide between ending it with Downfall 2: Fall Harder or Downfall 2: Nazi Boogaloo then I got distracted by a squirrel or something and forgot all about it.

Anyway, farewell Bruno Ganz (who played Hitler in Downfall).

Cloud