Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ear-to-ear grinning explosive joy music

Started by alan nagsworth, February 16, 2019, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I think pound for pound there's no band that quite hits this mark for me like Deerhoof does. Deerhoof make me so bloody happy, everything about them. Satomi's funny little dances. Greg's absolutely wild drumming. Pretty much all of their adorable press photos. And of course their music. If Ween didn't exist then Deerhoof would be my favourite band. Their music is so vibrant, colourful, catchy and evocative. It's like a child's crayon drawing. It shines big beaming rays of sunlight directly into my soul.

I mean CHRIST, these songs! Spirit Ditties of No Tone, Rainbow Silhouette of the Milky Rain, The Perfect Me, Dummy Discards A Heart! And this live performance of Flower, where a barefoot Greg demonstrates how to absolutely fucking own the most minimal, knackered drum kit! SO GOOD!

Deerhoof, look at 'em!

As per usual I'll post more later but I'll leave it at that for now.

Sebastian Cobb

Piano House.

Tall Paul, is the subsection of that.

daf

Sun Beautiful Sun
Written by: Adam Schlesinger / Performed by: The Bubble Guppies

Fantastic Planet of Love *
Marshall Crenshaw

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (I am Danny Baker & I claim my five pounds)

good times

songs that never fail to give me unbridled rushes of glee:

Clinic - The Castle
Walkmen - Angela Surf City
Radiohead - Airbag

daf

From the British Elvis : On The Beach (in glorious beefy mono!)
"One-two-three-four, Two-two-threeeee . . . "

From the American Cliff : I'm a Roustabout
"Wanna Take it out, Stick it in his ear" (!)

thraxx

Quote from: good times on February 16, 2019, 08:10:09 PM
songs that never fail to give me unbridled rushes of glee:

Clinic - The Castle
Walkmen - Angela Surf City
Radiohead - Airbag

Ooooh I've a clinic song that does that but it is of course Cement Mixer.

popcorn

The Japanese artist Cornelius did a collaboration with the singer Salyu a few years ago. This live performance is one of my favourite things on YouTube. At around 3:45 it moves to a bridge that slowly builds in tension until finally all the ladies sing "Woo!" in unison, accompanied by big Moog bass slide. It makes me punch the air.

BeardFaceMan

Anything by Mr First And The Gimme Gimmes, particularly this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wl3sD5Y0bs Impossible to listen to these chaps without grinning.

SteveDave

SteveDave mentions the Beatles

The "If I were you, I'd realiiiiiiise that I, love you mo', than any other guy!" bit of "No Reply"

Honorable mentions to the chorus of "Happy Together" by the Turtles and the chorus of "AKA Driver" by They Might Be Giants.

chveik

pancreas

Quote from: popcorn on February 17, 2019, 12:00:39 PM
The Japanese artist Cornelius did a collaboration with the singer Salyu a few years ago. This live performance is one of my favourite things on YouTube. At around 3:45 it moves to a bridge that slowly builds in tension until finally all the ladies sing "Woo!" in unison, accompanied by big Moog bass slide. It makes me punch the air.

This is very good.

daf

ORANGE - JUDY OVER THE RAINBOW (1994)

- - - - - - - -
(Later re-emerged as The Orgone Box - with a slowed down version of this on their LP, but in their Lee Mavers-ish quest to put a little bit of fairydust over the bastard, they lost the fizzy charm of the original)

phantom_power

Quote from: daf on February 17, 2019, 03:22:27 PM
ORANGE - JUDY OVER THE RAINBOW (1994)

- - - - - - - -
(Later re-emerged as The Orgone Box - with a slowed down version of this on their LP, but in their Lee Mavers-ish quest to put a little bit of fairydust over the bastard, they lost the fizzy charm of the original)

Completely agree with all of this and annoyingly the Orgone Box version is the only one on Spotify

honeychile

The tone for the unbridled joy of The Bar-kays Soul finger is set by that cheeky little blast of Mary had a little lamb at the start, and it just lays it on from there: drum and bass marching lock step, that obnoxious trilled riff on the trumpet (which as we know is possibly the funniest instrument in the orchestra, along with the gong), kids screaming "soul finger" in the chorus, and the brazen return of Mary had a little lamb halfway through. When Ray Parker Jr's Ghostbusters theme was released 17 years later, Parker was sued (successfully) by Huey Lewis who claimed he'd ripped off his song I want a new drug. In fact Ghostbusters ripped off Soul finger far more substantially - it's not only the chords but that thumping rhythm and bassline, and the way "ghostbusters!" is chanted is near-identical to the "soul finger!" refrain.

The chorus to Levi Jackson (aka Solomon King)'s This beautiful day is something i find it impossible to repress a grin for. The whole song grabs you by the lapels, slaps you across the face and says "Look out the window, it's beautiful and you're alive to see it!" but whereas the intro and chorus are carried by smooth muted guitar riffs and subtle chord changes, tact flies out the window in the chorus. It's so earnestly, childishly sincere and coupled with the violins and vox turning up the camp for all it's worth, it's a contagiously, air-punchingly cheerful moment. As is often the case with the best examples, we only get two choruses here and it's all the sweeter for being fleeting.

A few more suggestions from a similarly-themed thread i started a couple of years ago which no cunt replied to:

Quote from: honeychile on September 09, 2016, 10:27:36 PMI've recently been working through Acoustic Ladyland's oeuvre and got round to giving their fine album Living with a tiger a whirl. The opening song Sport mode is a real whirlwind, one of those little blitzes which this band does well from time to time. It hinges around these two sax riffs; one of which cheekily extends the song's elastic, so that the second can go wild and bring it all back with a snap. It doesn't just make me happy. It makes me physically grin. It makes me think of shooting down a log flume with my hands in the air.

Eels' Blinking lights and other revelations [...] towards the latter end there's an uplifting number called Losing streak which features a trombone riff in the chorus which is uplifting, touching... and funny. It makes me smile every time i hear it. It goes beyond appreciation, the response is the physical embodiment of happiness.

I remember listening with trepidation to the Manic Street Preachers' It's not war just the end of love in advance of their album Postcards from a young man (which turned out to be a fine piece of work) and dreading it. And yet, as soon as those strings kicked in... well i was grinning for the entire thing. It was camp as fuck, it was completely lacking in self-consciousness and i think that can knock down certain critical barriers.

These aside, i think Keith Mansfield's spectacular Grandstand theme music has this in spades, right from the opening bars. In fact, quite fantastically it manages to encapsulate different levels of grinning, different styles of grinning, different reasons for grinning. It's a total joy.

grassbath

Horace cunting Silver, 'The Kicker'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPfccMtDAJM

Fast as fuck, smooth as silk, and they just hit *those* chords, you know? Not an electric instrument in the bunch. That's the best thing about the great jazz of this era, I reckon - that it can take you so far out by sheer virtue of great playing and close-miked acoustic instruments alone.

non capisco

Quote from: honeychile on February 17, 2019, 10:24:58 PM
In fact Ghostbusters ripped off Soul finger far more substantially

Fucking hell, you're absolutely right. Of course it does!

thisaintnopicnic

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 17, 2019, 12:39:17 PM
Anything by Mr First And The Gimme Gimmes, particularly this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wl3sD5Y0bs Impossible to listen to these chaps without grinning.

Their live album, Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah, is great.

Even though I can't understand a word of the lyrics, this always cheers me up, particularly the little guitar riff at 3:43: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRyjPhgxWpc