Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:50:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Telescopes

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, February 16, 2019, 09:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

New album out yesterday, from the band who've been around about 30 years now. Gone from doing Stooges-ish rock, via shoegazing (signed to Creation) now into droney semi-electronic stuff.

I like them. I remember an MBV interview from the Loveless tour when Kevin Shields is grumbling because "The Telescopes are getting paid more than us!" Well they put out more records....

Epic Bisto

I knew someone who drummed for The Telescopes. He is a cunt.

As for their music, it was nothing special and after seeing them at The Cube, the only thing I can remember is that the singer spent a lot of time offstage doing bong hits before stumbling back on and aiming his microphone at every amp in his direction.

jobotic

I saw them back when Perfect Needle and Taste were out and they were great. Never heard their new stuff though (apart from when they did a new version of Perfect Needle).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There are absolutely * no* original members of The Telescopes left nowadays, did y'all know that ? The original bassist carked it years ago, for example.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 17, 2019, 10:44:58 AM
There are absolutely * no* original members of The Telescopes left nowadays, did y'all know that ? The original bassist carked it years ago, for example.

They're like The Fall?

sevendaughters

played with the Telescopes with my old band. long time ago now. one of them had a guitar upturned and was sort of hitting it and playing with effects. was great!

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Anyway Stephen Lawrie is still alive, so unless there was a line-up of The Telescopes which he joined, then your statement is not true.

SteveDave

They're on the same label as I am and we played a show with them in October. They stank of da 'erb.

Captain Z

Saw them at a festival once but the stage was so far away they were barely visible.

hermitical

Another band I saw a few times in Derby at gigs my Economics teacher put on and that I DJed at. I suspect some of their earlier gigs (1989ish) From just down the road in Burton

the science eel

My friend's dog once walked past them in a bakery in Notting Hill. They were all laughing at a joke about Fred Titmuss.

gilbertharding

They had two or three good songs, but I never really heard them at the time. They were a band my mates liked, if you see what I mean. Their videos on youtube are odd, in that they create a Proustian rush (for me) despite the fact I first clapped eyes on them in 2009.

holyzombiejesus

First time I took acid I was watching The Telescopes. I went to the toilet as I was coming up and thought the walls were coming in like the trash compactor in Star Wars.