Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Lego Movie 2 (2019)

Started by DukeDeMondo, February 16, 2019, 10:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Aye. One of my favourite gags in the first one is so simple - WildStyle's "hair" sliding side to side on her head as the removes her helmet - and it's not a reference at all. The film's jam-packed with those little moments.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on February 17, 2019, 04:53:16 PM
Aye. One of my favourite gags in the first one is so simple - WildStyle's "hair" sliding side to side on her head as the removes her helmet - and it's not a reference at all. The film's jam-packed with those little moments.

Ooof. actually it doesn't seem so bad, after Duke's last post.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on February 17, 2019, 03:07:57 PM
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Watch the fucking Emoji Movie if you want to see a cobbled-together pile of shite designed to suck money out of kids' pockets and corporate sponsorship bank accounts.

That makes absolutely zero sense. The Emoji Movie was a wonderful beautifilly made funny movie.  It wasn't just designed to suck money out of kids' pockets and into corporate sponsorship bank accounts.

See how that works?

The Lego Movie is an exercise in self-promotion and was absolutely greenlit on the basis of sucking money out of kids' pockets and into corporate sponsorship bank accounts.  You may find the movie to be highly enjoyable.  You may feel that it transcends its purpose of being but that doesn't change the reason for which it was made in the first place.  Its conception was corporately motivated, through and through.  Again, that has absolutely no bearing on whether one enjoys the movie or not.  That's irrelevent.

Let's not pretend that an artist was inspired to tell a compelling story that just happens to involve Lego and took that pitch to a Hollywood studio, on the hopes of having their artistic vision come to life.  It was a deal made between a toy company and a movie studio.  Now, once that deal was made, whether the writers and directors assigned to the job were able to take that concept and turn it into something worthwhile is a different matter entirely.  The point is that it wasn't conceived as a vision of artistic integrity.  It wasn't the dream of a young and hungry artist to tell this story involving Lego people.  It was envisioned as a means to sell more Lego and make a quick buck.  Doesn't mean that it's not a good movie, of course.  Again; that's irrelevant.

Replies From View

Imagine if a Lego movie was made, right, where it all felt far too zoomed-in because they had used Duplo by mistake.

Twed

I overheard this conversation at a contracting job once:

"Yeah my family was poor, we didn't have the official version of anything. I grew up with Duplo instead of Lego."
"Duplo is from Lego and cost the same, it's just for retards."

and then the other person stormed out.

Twed

"A little bit zoomed-in" would be a great politically-correct substitute for "retarded".

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 17, 2019, 06:37:29 PMThe Lego Movie is an exercise in self-promotion and was absolutely greenlit on the basis of sucking money out of kids' pockets and into corporate sponsorship bank accounts.  You may find the movie to be highly enjoyable. It was envisioned as a means to sell more Lego and make a quick buck.

Thats the cynical way of looking at it. If you look at it that way all movies are designed to make money.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 06:57:41 PM
Thats the cynical way of looking at it.

It's not cynical.  It's a fact.  Stop being willfully blind, simply because you like the movie.  You can like the movie and still acknowledge its reason for being, you know?

Timothy

Every single movie is made with profit in mind. I find that a bit of a non discussion.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 07:03:49 PM
Every single movie is made with profit in mind. I find that a bit of a non discussion.

Of course the studio always wants to make money, which is the reason why they greenlight movies.  However, films differ on their reason of being.  Some films are conceived as a story that an artist wants to tell, not as a means of making money.  Other movies are conceived purely as a means of making money.  Either type of film can be good or bad.  The end result is irrelevant to the reason as to why the project came into existence in the first place.

Replies From View

I reckon that if a Nike movie was made it most certainly wouldn't have been created in order to promote Nike clothes and shoes.  What a cynical interpretation that would be.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on February 17, 2019, 07:05:56 PM
I reckon that if a Nike movie was made it most certainly wouldn't have been created in order to promote Nike clothes and shoes.  What a cynical interpretation that would be.

Exactly.  It's a ridiculous stance to take.  Typical ego-centric behaviour; "I like the movie and therefore it couldn't possibly have been conceived as an exercise in corporate promotion."

Yes it was.  Deal with it.  Again; its reason for being has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the end product itself.  It doesn't suddenly make one's enjoyment of the movie invalid.

Timothy

Edit: Lets just agree to disagree. Havent seen Lego 2 yet but looking forward to it after Dukes post. Want to keep the Lego magic intact.

madhair60

This is such a stupid fucking conversation. Who gives a fucking shit

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 07:03:49 PM

Are you sure about this ?

Timothy

Nah I was just annoyed. Scrap that sentence from my comment its nonsense.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 07:21:18 PM
Nah I was just annoyed. Scrap that sentence from my comment its nonsense.

Better get to that cinema fast - first 20 people in to see the movie get a Lego goody bag.

Crabwalk

Stop being a boring cunt, blodders. It doesn't suit you.

Edit: that was rash. Scrap the boring.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 07:24:05 PM
Stop being a boring cunt, blodders. It doesn't suit you.

oh here we go. Please explain.

Twed

BlodwynPig

actually I'm furious at your comment Crabwalk. Take that attitude elsewhere. I'm not going to stop sniping at shit like this. If you see my post at the top - I actually warmed to the idea that the movie was something different than I expected. So for you to come in and wind me up is out of order. I've had enough of passive aggressive control. Enough. I spent 6 hours going through a report for my wife whilst ill - she now sends me an e-mail - "you never help. this is shit" - SHE ALWAYS DOES THIS AND I'VE REMAINED CALM THESE LAST FEW DAYS...BUT THIS TAKES THE FUCKING BISCUIT. I WANT TO DESTROY EVERYTHING....

Replies From View

You are jealous because I am allowed to be a boring cunt and you're not!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on February 17, 2019, 07:32:26 PM
You are jealous because I am allowed to be a boring cunt and you're not!

I'm in a true rage. I'm being trodden on and I can't break free. I NEED RELEASE

Crabwalk

Dude, you're shitting on something you've not even seen, based purely on lazy misconceptions. When others have gone into depth about their reasons for GENUINELY, REALLY LIKING (and disliking) these films, is your shitposting really necessary and positive for anyone, including you?

I'm really sorry if you've had a bad day and you're ill. But maybe the rest of us have problems of our own, and you're not exactly bringing the sunshine back in?

Or maybe you're just taking the piss in the entire thread. Good for you if so.

There's some passive aggression for you.

Don't make me bring Susan back pal.

Crabwalk

For the record I've no issue with RFV or St Eddie butting heads with those that like the films here. Their opinions are informed.

Crabwalk

Can't believe I started that post with 'dude'. Someone kill me.

Replies From View

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 07:41:07 PM
Someone kill me.

I'd have to google how to do it and then I might get in trouble.  :(

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 07:39:33 PM
For the record I've no issue with RFV or St Eddie butting heads with those that like the films here. Their opinions are informed.

This is out of order. An abominable statement to make. In one fell swoop you dismiss and diminish my thoughts and actions as meaningless and invalid. I do not think eloquent diatribes are the only way we should express ourselves. If you are offended by my posts then there are also better ways of handling it. Who exactly did I upset? Lego Corps.?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 07:41:07 PM
Can't believe I started that post with 'dude'. Someone kill me.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm not happy with you.

At this point in the day, I am questioning my raison d'être.

Crabwalk

Next time you post about Ozric Tentacles I'm going to lay into their shitty, dog-on-a-string, ciderdelica because that's what I strongly suspect they sound like.