Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Lego Movie 2 (2019)

Started by DukeDeMondo, February 16, 2019, 10:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 07:53:51 PM
Next time you post about Ozric Tentacles I'm going to lay into their shitty, dog-on-a-string, ciderdelica because that's what I strongly suspect they sound like.

*shrugs* so what, don't care. That's your honest opinion.

This is a fucking movie about lego, and not even your lego, you square brained twit.

To think I had some sympathy for Ipswich's plight.

Crabwalk

It's not my honest opinion. I don't know what they sound like, but based on my vague awareness of them and their logo that's where I'd lay my chips.

So what would I be if I piled into threads about them, throwing my ignorance around like I was Captain Too-cool-for-school?

See my original post on the matter.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 17, 2019, 06:37:29 PMThe Lego Movie is an exercise in self-promotion and was absolutely greenlit on the basis of sucking money out of kids' pockets and into corporate sponsorship bank accounts.

Yeah, but the Lego Movie:

A- Isn't cobbled together;
B- Isn't a pile of old shite;
C- Both of which were at the crux of what I was saying.

I've never disputed the reason it was greenlit and its conception has no bearing on my remarks, which are concerned with whether it's a good film that's had a lot of care go into it.

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 17, 2019, 06:37:29 PMNow, once that deal was made, whether the writers and directors assigned to the job were able to take that concept and turn it into something worthwhile is a different matter entirely.

If only I'd said exactly this in the post you quoted and edited.

Oh, wait.

Quote from: Mister Six, in that post you quoted and edited on February 17, 2019, 03:07:57 PM
The first Lego Movie is so packed with brilliant gags of all kinds (verbal, character, sight, etc), so wonderfully detailed, so gorgeous to look at, I find the notion that it's just "a long advert for a toy" - even if that's what it clearly started out as - baffling and mildly offensive.

Replies From View

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 07:53:51 PM
Next time you post about Ozric Tentacles

Not the best track on Abbey Road, to be fair.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 08:06:56 PM
It's not my honest opinion. I don't know what they sound like, but based on my vague awareness of them and their logo that's where I'd lay my chips.

So what would I be if I piled into threads about them, throwing my ignorance around like I was Captain Too-cool-for-school?

See my original post on the matter.

I guess I would be indifferent. I wouldn't be angry or upset or bored. It's of no consequence to me or even the band. If you directly went up to the band and spat on them and said what a pointless shit no-hope ragtime band they were, then perhaps they would shrug and feel a bit down.

I'm sorry for not being able to articulate my frustration with popular culture as well as the other people. That I accept as a negative point about my posts.

I've got no beef with Lego movie and reading Mister Six and Duke's comments I can understand it may have. merit. The bit I saw was too cluttered and fast (like RFV said) to process easily. It does seem that its for people who have been immersed in a certain culture over the last few decades, but again, this may be untrue as some have posted about earlier cultural references and mocking of staid cliches (like the helmet hair trope). The other thing that instantly put me off was Batman's voice. Even if it is a pastiche, it is very grating.

Crabwalk

YOU HAVENT EVEN FUCKING SEEN IT YA DILD

Edit: written before you added the last paragraph

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 17, 2019, 08:16:28 PM
YOU HAVENT EVEN FUCKING SEEN IT YA DILD

I have seen half an hour of the first. And those DFS adverts. AND AGAIN...reading the reviews by Duke and Mister Six, suggest that my scorn was misjudged - so now it's a balance between whether I can put up with it's style and flaws to enjoy the underlying wit and wisdom contained beneath. YOU O!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 07:17:27 PM
Edit: Lets just agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree on the debate of whether the Lego movie was conceived as a corporate means of making money or if it was born as a passion project from an artistic mind?

No, I won't agree to disagree.  You're deluded.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 17, 2019, 07:46:50 PM
Who exactly did I upset? Lego Corps.?

Fucking fuming, they are.  Their yellow faces have turned red.

Quote from: Mister Six on February 17, 2019, 08:08:19 PM
Yeah, but the Lego Movie:

A- Isn't cobbled together;
B- Isn't a pile of old shite;
C- Both of which were at the crux of what I was saying.

I've never disputed the reason it was greenlit and its conception has no bearing on my remarks, which are concerned with whether it's a good film that's had a lot of care go into it.

Fair enough.  We're in agreement then.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 17, 2019, 08:19:46 PM
I have seen half an hour of the first. And those DFS adverts. AND AGAIN...reading the reviews by Duke and Mister Six, suggest that my scorn was misjudged - so now it's a balance between whether I can put up with it's style and flaws to enjoy the underlying wit and wisdom contained beneath. YOU O!

For whatever its worth, I've watched the first Lego movie and I thought it was pants.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 17, 2019, 08:33:36 PM

For whatever its worth, I've watched the first Lego movie and I thought it was pants.

Careful now. "pants" is not detailed enough reason.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 17, 2019, 08:49:41 PM

They are so beautifully rendered though.  And they whizz around the screen really fast and there are loads and loads of them.  All different colours, all flashing and all making constant fruit machine noises.

You'd love it.

Timothy

Agree to disagree on the debate of whether the Lego movie was conceived as a corporate means of making money

Whats the point of repeating that over and over again in a topic about a movie you didnt even like? Why bother? And why should it matter? It ended up as (imo) a warm, beautiful, funny and original movie. Thats all that matters imo.

Replies From View

This thread is just making me want to hate the Lego Movie even harder.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 17, 2019, 08:49:41 PM

Very well, allow me to elaborate; it was pants with skid marks.

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 09:41:26 PM
Whats the point of repeating that over and over again in a topic about a movie you didnt even like? Why bother? And why should it matter? It ended up as (imo) a warm, beautiful, funny and original movie. Thats all that matters imo.

I'm not trying to convince you that it's not a good movie.  That's your own subjective opinion and as such 100% valid.  I simply was pointing out that you're wrong for denying the origin of the movie, in terms of how and why it was conceived.  It doesn't particularly matter, you're right that what matters, ultimately, is whether you enjoyed it or not.  It just irked me that you were denying an undeniable fact.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 09:41:26 PM

Did God not give man free will to be dissonant and stubborn?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 17, 2019, 09:53:38 PM
Very well, allow me to elaborate; it was pants with skidmarks.

I'm not trying to convince you that it's not a good movie.  That's your own subjective opinion and as such 100% valid.  I simply was pointing out that you're wrong for denying the origin of the movie, in terms of how and why it was conceived.  It doesn't particularly matter, you're right that what matters, ultimately, is whether you enjoyed it or not.  It just irked me that you were denying an undeniable fact.

Remember, we live in Post-Fact times. Emotion, hubris, coloured bricks, and Ozric Tentacles are where the truth doth lie.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 17, 2019, 09:54:04 PM

No - he gave man free will to choose between McDonald's and Burger King, and between Lego and Sticklebricks.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 17, 2019, 09:54:04 PM

He sure did.  Just as he gave us the free will to ignore the facts and to double down on ego-centricity.  Ain't free will a heck of a thang?

Quote from: Replies From View on February 17, 2019, 09:56:53 PM
No - he gave man free will to choose between McDonald's and Burger King, and between Lego and Sticklebricks.

I choose Wimpy's and council bricks.

Timothy

Curious, Duke, what did you think of the Lego Batman movie?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on February 17, 2019, 09:56:53 PM

Sticklebricks...now that's a blast from the GOOD OL' PAST

*tears*

BlodwynPig

Crabwalk

If only the Lego Movies could have been as hilarious and iconoclastic as this thread.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 10:13:39 PM
Curious, Duke, what did you think of the Lego Batman movie?

This is Timothy's original post, pre-edit...

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 10:13:39 PM
Quote"We wanted to make the film feel like the way you play, the way I remember playing. We wanted to make it feel as epic and ambitious and self-serious as a kid feels when they play with LEGO. We took something you could claim is the most cynical cash grab in cinematic history, basically a 90 minute LEGO commercial, and turned it into a celebration of creativity, fun and invention, in the spirit of just having a good time and how ridiculous it can look when you make things up. And we had fun doing it.'"

I take it that you feel that the provided quote disproves my theory.  It doesn't.  It actually proves my assertion.  The studio had decided to make "the most cynical cash grab in cinematic history, basically a 90 minute LEGO commercial" and the assigned writers and directors decided to try their darnedest to turn that concept into something which transcends a cynical cash grab.  Ergo; it started out, at a conceptual level, as a cynical cash grab.

Way to prove my point, mate.  Cheers.

Replies From View

Good to see that Pixar's Cars is being remade within a live action environment with a giant pacman lamp blocking the road.

BlodwynPig

I like how they have different colours and names, like the ninja turtles.

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 17, 2019, 10:32:07 PM
This is Timothy's original post, pre-edit...

I take it that you feel that the provided quote disproves my theory.  It doesn't.  It actually proves my assertion.  The studio had decided to make "the most cynical cash grab in cinematic history, basically a 90 minute LEGO commercial" and the assigned writers and directors decided to try their darnedest to turn that concept into something which transcends a cynical cash grab.  Ergo; it started out, at a conceptual level, as a cynical cash grab.

Way to prove my point, mate.  Cheers.

In my original comment the first sentence was "You were right." For some reason you didnt decide to quote that.

Anyway.

Because I wanted to elaborate and write a more detailed comment about the origin of the movie and the idea of it being a cashgrab when I would get home (I have a book about the making of at home that I also wanted to quote) I decided to change my comment so that I could copy the original comment into the new comment I wanted to write.

No need for that anymore I guess.

Looking forward to see the second movie. Looks ace.

BlodwynPig

a book? on the making of the lego movie? not a cynical cash grab lego movie?

Timothy

Pretty great book. Recommended if you like the movie.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 10:48:53 PM
In my original comment the first sentence was "You were right." For some reason you didnt decide to quote that.

Because I was almost certain that it was an ironic comment and I wanted to get to the point of your post (i.e. the quote itself), as opposed to bickering about potential sarcastic gubbins.  If it wasn't an ironic statement and you were in fact being genuine, then I apologise for misconstruing your meaning.

Quote from: Timothy on February 17, 2019, 10:48:53 PM
Because I wanted to elaborate and write a more detailed comment about the origin of the movie and the idea of it being a cashgrab when I would get home (I have a book about the making of at home that I also wanted to quote) I decided to change my comment so that I could copy the original comment into the new comment I wanted to write.

No need for that anymore I guess.

Actually, I am kinda curious to read the other quote from your book, Timothy.  Would you care to post it regardless?

madhair60

Honey, where are my paaaaaants?