Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:00:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Lego Movie 2 (2019)

Started by DukeDeMondo, February 16, 2019, 10:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Replies From View

popcorn

Tell you what the Lego Movie is better than.

Laurel and Hardy.

Have you ever seen Laurel and Hardy? It's well old.

Bad Ambassador

Funcrusher

I like The Lego Movie and Lego. Thanks.

Replies From View

madhair60

madhair60

The Fuzzy Felt Feature
The K'Nex Special Effects
The Meccano Cinema-Go

BlodwynPig

Pooh Sticks: The Movie
Pin the Tale on the Donkey: An Epic Adventure (Starring Morgan Freeman)

madhair60

The Mega Bloxbuster
The Spirograph Cinematograph

Replies From View

Buckaroo 2:  The Buckinging

Twin Towers Jenga

Also a film that can't call itself Twister because of that tornado film in the 90s that everyone remembers.

madhair60

The Magna Doodle Sit-and-Viewdle

St_Eddie

Funcrusher

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 18, 2019, 04:29:05 PM
Which is why you made the previous post.  It's a fact.  Accept it.

That was my first post on this thread.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 18, 2019, 04:33:06 PM
That was my first post on this thread.

Indeed it was.  I'm afraid that you replied before I was able to edit my post.  Sorry, I was mixing you up with a different poster.

madhair60

The Lego Movie 2 is not an advert for Lego.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on February 18, 2019, 07:34:45 PM

Not yet another promotion for Gray's Samosas??

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on February 18, 2019, 07:34:45 PM

Mate.  There's literally a scene where one of the characters turns to camera says "this movie is one big advert for Legos.  Buy more Legos, you cunts!".

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 18, 2019, 08:11:29 PM
Mate.  There's literally a scene where one of the characters turns to camera says "this movie is one big advert for Legos.  Buy more Legos, you cunts!".

An lo, 19,364 men over the age of 35 did just that!

Replies From View

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 18, 2019, 08:11:29 PM

In that case, I apologise and retract my statement

Replies From View

Mmmm this thread is giving me a hankering for Legos.

Crabwalk

Thinking about it, I don't think the word 'Lego' is used even once in either of the films. That's how keen they are for the films not to feel like adverts at any point.

(Yes, of course I know that the films were originally conceived and financed with the goal of selling Lego).

Replies From View

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 19, 2019, 11:03:28 AM
Thinking about it, I don't think the word 'Lego' is used even once in either of the films. That's how keen they are for the films not to feel like adverts at any point.

I mean imagine watching the Legos Movie 2 and thinking of Legos even once.  You'd have to be completely mad.

ToneLa

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 19, 2019, 11:03:28 AM

(Yes, of course I know that the films were originally conceived and financed with the goal of selling Lego).

Interconnectable Plastic Brick Movie 2

Funcrusher

Quote from: Replies From View on February 19, 2019, 08:48:49 AM
Mmmm this thread is giving me a hankering for Legos.

If I wasn't completely skint I would buy the fuck out of some Lego right now.

Crabwalk

Quote from: ToneLa on February 19, 2019, 11:24:54 AM
Interconnectable Plastic Brick Movie 2

Outside of the title card, obviously.

As becomes apparent in the first film, what we're watching are predominantly stories told through the medium of Lego, rather than stories about Lego. When the nature of Lego as a toy/building material is essential to the story (eg the stuff about being a 'master builder' in the first film) it's really just used as a metaphor for creativity in general. There's nothing about the material itself that's presented as being intrinsically good. Beyond the end results looking bloody amazing most of the time, but as they're all things that could genuinely be built with Lego (if you were a millionaire with a lot of time on your hands), that doesn't seem too dishonest to me.

The dishonesty only really comes with the first film's strong message that the best way to play is with borderless imagination, and not being constrained by instructions, conformity or societal pressure, when most of their kits are precision designed around you needing to follow the intricate instructions to make the thing they're selling, and are also quite gender-targeted.

But that's not on the filmmakers, and it didn't really niggle me while watching the films. They have such progressive messages that they get across in a highly entertaining,  non-preachy way, that I can only see the films as a positive force in the wastelands of today's blockbuster cinema.

Replies From View

Has there ever been a Legos Movie that promoted exclusively Andy McNab kite toys?

Replies From View

Has there ever been a Legos Movie that promoted exclusively TINY TEARS CRYING, PISSING AND SHITTING DOLL?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth