Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:34:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Jussie Smollett mess

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 17, 2019, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

This has probably been discussed sporadically in other threads, but definitely worthy of its own topic by now.

Openly gay black actor Jussie Smollett claimed some weeks ago that he was attacked in Chicago by some homophobic, racist Trump supporters. They put a noose around his neck and yelled "This is MAGA country", among other things. While there was an initial outpouring of support for Smollett, some eyebrows were raised. The story sounded like a fictional liberal horror story, at least to conservatives. Smollett's cooperation with police started to disintegrate, he claimed he was on the phone to his manager when the attack happened, but refused to hand over his phone records. Now, Chicago police believe they have evidence to prove Smollett staged the attack by paying off two Nigerian extras from Empire (Smollett is a main cast member on that show), and now Smollett has enlisted Michael Cohen's defence team to help him.

A great big mess, I think you'll agree, and I'm sure there's a lot more nonsense to come from this story.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Twed

It's one of those stories that is huge no matter how you look at it. Either the Chicago police are lying or the famous man is lying.

Howj Begg

Random story. What a pickle this guy is in. Can't fathom why he would do this. Hope he doesn't end up in the clinker.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on February 17, 2019, 05:21:58 PM
It's one of those stories that is huge no matter how you look at it. Either the Chicago police are lying or the famous man is lying.

Definitely going to be a great Netflix documentary in like two years.

biggytitbo

What is the motive supposed to be for such a stunt? An unhinged hatred of Trump, or some weird self publicity thing?

touchingcloth

I was paid to fuck Jossie Smellutt up recently, and did. Do you think they'll be after my story?

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 17, 2019, 05:44:58 PM
What is the motive supposed to be for such a stunt? An unhinged hatred of Trump, or some weird self publicity thing?

There was a Variety report a few days ago that said it was staged for publicity because he was being written out of Empire.

EbbyVale

Quote from: Twed on February 17, 2019, 05:21:58 PM

So far the CPD is being fairly circumspect, officially; it's the unofficial reports that are looking damning for Smollett.  Not that I put lying past the CPD, though maybe it would keep them too busy to run torture centers.

Unfortunately, I think it's Smollett who's lying here, and I think he did a pretty bad job of it from the start.   I don't know if the threatening letter he got previously was [also] staged or if this was something he did in hopes it would prove that this threat is serious.  Maybe he thought hate crimes needed a poster celeb the way diseases do.

Ferris

People do these things because they reckon they'll get twitter likes and become a #resistance hero. Reality doesn't impinge on their plans until too late.

There have been a few suspect stories like these (from all political stripes) over the years, increasing frequency with the rise of social media. If they sound mad and unrealistic (or like political wish fulfillment), there's a not unreasonable chance that it's a load of old tosh.

Soup Dogg

Ferris

Quote from: Soup Dogg on February 18, 2019, 12:15:02 PM
Imagine doing this.

I think the assumption is that the authorities will put the same level of thought into it that the alleged orchestrator did. The idea of even the most rudimentary fact-checking like, say, checking cctv in the area has just completely passed this chap by.

"I was on my phone when it happened"
"Ok can we see your phone records?"
"...no"

Mate.

The "attack" was allegedly premeditated which implies two attackers said to each other "we are republicans and Junior Hoilett or whoever is definitely the most prominent face of the #resistance in our realistic opinion so it makes sense to go for him - prepare the elaborate props!" I reckon that sequence of events only makes sense if you think this guy is A Big Deal, and that points the trail of inquiry pretty squarely at one person. The idea he'd get away with it on such flimsy preparation is Zoolander levels of self-awareness.

Most disappointing thing is the number of politicians and media outlets who swallowed this gubbins wholesale instead of engaging brain and deciding this all looks a bit mad and far-fetched.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on February 18, 2019, 12:44:09 AM
There was a Variety report a few days ago that said it was staged for publicity because he was being written out of Empire.

Empire writers/producers have said there was never even the suggestion to write him out of the show. He's a main character.

Bazooka

His name is Jussie Smollett? I know he played fictional characters, but c'mon you are already fictional with a name like that.

Chollis

Hi, I'm openly gay black actor Michael Douglas

mugwump ji sum

It came just before Kamala Harris' renewed attempt to get lynching made a federal hate crime, so I don't know if it was a bizzare attempt to help with publicity for that?

Inept as Smollett was, he knew that the press and politicians are geared up to immediately run with any anti-white hate hoax no matter how ridiculous (Just like the Jazmine Barnes murder and Covington schoolboys in the weeks before). 

rjd2

Quote from: mugwump ji sum on February 18, 2019, 04:57:59 PM
It came just before Kamala Harris' renewed attempt to get lynching made a federal hate crime, so I don't know if it was a bizzare attempt to help with publicity for that?

he is friends with Harris, so who the fuck knows how far this possible hoax goes.

Ferris

Quote from: rjd2 on February 18, 2019, 06:30:33 PM
he is friends with Harris, so who the fuck knows how far this possible hoax goes.

Kamala reaching out to a C list actor, who hired some extras to duff him up. Not exactly the Sting is it?

EbbyVale

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 18, 2019, 01:37:42 PM
I think the assumption is that the authorities will put the same level of thought into it that the alleged orchestrator did. The idea of even the most rudimentary fact-checking like, say, checking cctv in the area has just completely passed this chap by.

"I was on my phone when it happened"
"Ok can we see your phone records?"
"...no"

Mate.

I also don't know if he's had a take on the two that were questioned.  Is he insisting it couldn't be them who attacked him, denying they had anything to do with Empire and ever met him, saying heartbrokenly that he can't believe people he knew were involved?  Or has his publicist learned from Liam Neeson's and locked Smollett down with no access to technology for a while?

rjd2

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 18, 2019, 06:36:56 PM
Kamala reaching out to a C list actor, who hired some extras to duff him up. Not exactly the Sting is it?

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/1097021206992166912

Tariq is all over it!

Ferris

Quote from: rjd2 on February 18, 2019, 08:28:57 PM

Tariq is all over it!

Crikey. I don't know who that is, but they seem fairly bonkers. Imagine having that be your worldview to the point where everything comes through the same warped lens. Is that what Twitter is like? It seems fucking horrible.

Anyway, glad to have him on the case. Hold on to your tinfoil hats - he's got quite a scoop here!

Twed

It's hilarious watching the right lash out. They genuinely don't know who their enemies are. Here's a theory where they think AOC is involved too: https://thefederalistpapers.org/opinion/ocasio-cortez-kamala-harris-knee-deep-jussie-smollett

They think they're the same people, vagina-ing away in dark corners to help the gay race conquer humanity.

Quote from: Howj Begg on February 17, 2019, 05:23:09 PM
What a pickle this guy is in.

Yeah - what a pickle!

Quote from: EbbyVale on February 18, 2019, 01:31:35 AM
Unfortunately, I think it's Smollett who's lying here

"Unfortunately"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Some great posting from firm CaB favourite Paulie Walnuts, there.

Bronzy

Dr Trouser

Why does a country need an anti lynching bill? is it like fox hunting in that it currently goes on but it's probably time to stop it now?

Also I guess this Jussie issue (no, never heard of him or Empire until now...) means that every time one of these happens to someone vaguely famous https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47287308?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews we can all go 'hmmm maybe he did it himself?'

kngen

Quote from: rjd2 on February 18, 2019, 08:28:57 PM

Tariq is all over it!

What does ADOS mean? I looked it up and it seems to be some sort of autism test, which makes statements like this "Remember, these people below are funded by certain groups with certain agendas that has nothing to do with helping ADOS." all the more confusing

EbbyVale

Quote from: kngen on February 19, 2019, 01:44:28 PM
What does ADOS mean? I looked it up and it seems to be some sort of autism test, which makes statements like this "Remember, these people below are funded by certain groups with certain agendas that has nothing to do with helping ADOS." all the more confusing

I wasn't sure either, but I just found it--it's "American Descendants of Slavery." Apparently it's got some hashtag use.

Edit: looks like it's a movement with a written agenda, in fact.

kngen

ah, yeah that makes a lot more sense. ta!

St_Eddie

Quote from: kngen on February 19, 2019, 01:44:28 PM
What does ADOS mean?

ADOS is the evil A.I. from the videogame Portal.