Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Jussie Smollett mess

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 17, 2019, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Is that your heart you are talking about?

cliggg

He has turned himself in and been arrested. The BBC have provided a timeline of the events and it makes for some strange reading. This man get fired from his show, fined by the government and give a teary interview on a big American network very soon will be my guess.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47317701

Soup Dogg

"This is definitely a good idea"

wooders1978

Quote from: cliggg on February 21, 2019, 01:30:14 PM
He has turned himself in and been arrested. The BBC have provided a timeline of the events and it makes for some strange reading. This man get fired from his show, fined by the government and give a teary interview on a big American network very soon will be my guess.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47317701

Didn't he already double down and do a teary "I'm not pretending" interview?

biggytitbo

It's a strange, interesting story about a totally obscure in the UK man who did something mad, but I'm absolutely baffled as to why this was number 1 or 2 on the news agenda in the British media today. Can anyone help?

Jittlebags

Even stranger, a story about a giant bee is given even more exposure on several news websites. Explain that?

gilbertharding

Half the news nowadays seems to be taken up with obscure stories about TV personalities, either from America, or Chelsea or Essex. We all have Netflix and Give A Shit, apparently.

But yes - good point.

Mister Six

Quote from: rjd2 on February 18, 2019, 08:28:57 PM
https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/1097021206992166912

Tariq is all over it!

This sort of shit is why identity politics will be the death of progressives in the US.

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on February 21, 2019, 03:43:59 PM
This sort of shit is why identity politics will be the death of progressives in the US.
Will it? It's usually the "libs" who suffer from cackhanded application of identity politics, not progressives. Case in point: Kamala.

up_the_hampipe

Chicago police are saying he sent a threatening letter to himself a week before the attack. He orchestrated this whole thing because he was unsatisfied with his salary on Empire. Uhhhh...

Seems like superintendent Chalmers Eddie Johnson is rather pissed off https://twitter.com/tjholmes/status/1098602368185368576?s=21

Cuellar

I hope this sordid farce finally puts paid to the absurd delusion that there ARE 'racially motivated attacks'. What a notion!

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 21, 2019, 02:53:39 PM
Even stranger, a story about a giant bee is given even more exposure on several news websites. Explain that?
Been hearing rumours that Trump has accused it of trying to lure him into a honey trap.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 19, 2019, 07:00:50 PM
it's cold!
You know what, Paulie ? I' m going to give you that one. Made me smile. Fair Play to yer.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Sherman Krank on February 21, 2019, 04:32:28 PM
Been hearing rumours that Trump has accused it of trying to lure him into a honey trap.

Probably to give him a giant sting on the bell end.

gib

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 21, 2019, 04:37:27 PM
You know what, Paulie ? I' m going to give you that one. Made me smile. Fair Play to yer.

yeah me too

machotrouts

Someone said his nuts were small and he said "it's cold!"... can't say fairer than that. Credit where it's due. Nice riff on the double meaning of "Smallnuts" meaning "small bollocks", and "Smallnuts" meaning "small bollocks". You've got to give him that. "it's cold!" – Paulie Walnuts

Quote from: machotrouts on February 21, 2019, 05:40:36 PM
Someone said his nuts were small and he said "it's cold!"... can't say fairer than that. Credit where it's due. Nice riff on the double meaning of "Smallnuts" meaning "small bollocks", and "Smallnuts" meaning "small bollocks". You've got to give him that. "it's cold!" – Paulie Walnuts

don't ruin this for me :(

Quote from: Cuellar on February 21, 2019, 03:51:31 PM
I hope this sordid farce finally puts paid to the absurd delusion that there ARE 'racially motivated attacks'. What a notion!

QuoteDemand for bigotry is currently outstripping supply

Icehaven

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 21, 2019, 02:45:21 PM
It's a strange, interesting story about a totally obscure in the UK man who did something mad, but I'm absolutely baffled as to why this was number 1 or 2 on the news agenda in the British media today. Can anyone help?

Same reason the failure of a niche music festival spawned 2 documentaries, schadenfreude. Everyone loves it when someone rich and/or famous royally fucks themselves over.

Hundhoon

i knew this story was bullshit the first time I read 'this is maga country' in Chicago. its the last place in America you will ever hear that.

its a city that has enough problems its seriously in danger of becoming the next Detroit, its population is declining
the city has so many problems Donald Trump even threatened to send in the army.

EbbyVale

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 21, 2019, 03:49:32 PM
Chicago police are saying he sent a threatening letter to himself a week before the attack. He orchestrated this whole thing because he was unsatisfied with his salary on Empire. Uhhhh...

Seems like superintendent Chalmers Eddie Johnson is rather pissed off https://twitter.com/tjholmes/status/1098602368185368576?s=21

Yes, after a few weeks of them holding their shit tightly together save for some dribbles, Johnson today flung it into the fan with force.

Mister Six

Quote from: Hundhoon on February 21, 2019, 07:02:15 PM
the city has so many problems Donald Trump even threatened to send in the army.

As if that indicates anything at all.

Chicago's troubled, but that is meaningless.

Hundhoon

Quote from: Mister Six on February 21, 2019, 07:31:29 PM
As if that indicates anything at all.

Chicago's troubled, but that is meaningless.

there have been several major scandals in that city, the trust in the police force is low, all the Chicago police knew this story was vindictive bulllshit from day 1, but due to the tensions in the city they had to slow roll out the evidence to prevent problems, the fact it took them nearly a month to get to the indictment highlights the problem.

Mister Six

Yeah but Trump threatening to send in the army means fucking nothing. He has no idea of what's going on and probably hammered that out after a special Fox News report that was only interested in demonising black people.

Jittlebags

What's the UK equivalent? Where would May be sending the squaddies in? Bolton? Peterborough? Chipping Norton?

Ambient Sheep

It's tricky because there isn't really a direct equivalent.

Bristol?  Manchester?

Blinder Data

When I first read that people were claiming it was a hoax, my first thought was "what bastards - who would make up a thing like that?".

To manufacture the spectre of lynching for material gain/public sympathy is utterly disgraceful. What a scumbag.

No doubt we'll get a Netflix documentary special about this in 9 months time.

Keebleman

If the guy is guilty of making the whole thing up, then he is cold-blooded to the point of psychosis.

If
he is guilty, of course.  This whole incident should be exhibit A (the latest exhibit A) in why jumping to conclusions is a Bad Thing.  Quite apart from legal and moral implications, you can also end up looking a right dickhead.  Just read this.

Though here, looking silly as events overtake you is the least of this writer's problems.  He says America is a place

Quotein which those who do not assimilate to the satisfaction of their white, straight, and Christian betters are subject to the impunity of law enforcement, the scorn of the media and the fury of racist homophobes stalking the streets of your city.

He doesn't even employ the Trumpian qualifier, "And yes, I suppose some of them are nice people."