Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,199
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Jussie Smollett mess

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 17, 2019, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

As if this needed another twist, Jussie has just been cleared of all charges, the case has been dismissed, his record has been wiped clean and a motion granted to seal the case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47711535

So he was innocent all along?!

Alberon

Sounds more like Not Proven.

Are the police still looking for these MAGA racists?

Keebleman

Quote from: Keebleman on February 23, 2019, 12:36:19 AM
If the guy is guilty of making the whole thing up, then he is cold-blooded to the point of psychosis.

If
he is guilty, of course.  This whole incident should be exhibit A (the latest exhibit A) in why jumping to conclusions is a Bad Thing.  Quite apart from legal and moral implications, you can also end up looking a right dickhead.  Just read this.

Though here, looking silly as events overtake you is the least of this writer's problems.  He says America is a place

He doesn't even employ the Trumpian qualifier, "And yes, I suppose some of them are nice people."

Ha!  My fence-sitting pays off!

EbbyVale

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 26, 2019, 04:02:56 PM
As if this needed another twist, Jussie has just been cleared of all charges, the case has been dismissed, his record has been wiped clean and a motion granted to seal the case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47711535

So he was innocent all along?!

No, the DA's office did all that off their own bat.  The cops are very much not on board, and now the mayor has joined the cops' side.

ETA: The prosecutor on the case has gone on record saying "No, I don't believe he's innocent," so Jussie may want to dial down the exoneration celebration. 

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: EbbyVale on March 26, 2019, 08:42:00 PM
No, the DA's office did all that off their own bat.  The cops are very much not on board, and now the mayor has joined the cops' side.

The DA can kiss my ass.

Keebleman

It's very, very strange.  His lawyer has said that they know who committed the attack: those two Nigerian brothers.
Quote"We already know who attacked him," the lawyer told reporters. "The two brothers have said that they attacked him."

The $3,500 Smollett paid the brothers was for nutrition and physical training, according to the lawyer.

Blumf

Neomod

wooders1978

Quote from: Alberon on March 26, 2019, 04:51:46 PM
Sounds more like Not Proven.

Are the police still looking for these MAGA racists?

The maga racists he made up? No.

biggytitbo

Is it true he sent fake anthrax in the mail? That alone would get most people a life stretch.

RedRevolver

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 27, 2019, 10:43:34 AM
Is it true he sent fake anthrax in the mail? That alone would get most people a life stretch.

There's probably only half a dozen people in the world that can actually tell you that. Why do you think any of them are on CaB, reading your post?

mugwump ji sum

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 27, 2019, 10:43:34 AM

The FBI still have his interstate mail fraud on their desk (that's for the hilarious fake letter). I don't think they'll count the crushed paracetamol as fake anthrax, or even pursue the mail fraud.

hillbillyholiday

Quote"The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is working closely with our law enforcement partners on this investigation," the USPS said Wednesday about the case. "We are unable to provide any additional comment at this time."

The Postal Inspection Service predates the United States itself and they do NOT fuck about. 

They are beyond secretive: despite decades of probing, JFK researchers note that not a single internal Post Office document from the Kennedy era has ever surfaced.

Keebleman

Seems this case is going to be providing amusement for a fair while yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48027662

Alberon

I'm confused now. So the brothers are still accused by the defence team of being behind the attack? And that Smollett thought they were white racists?

Is that right?

Ferris

Quote from: Alberon on April 24, 2019, 12:26:19 PM
I'm confused now. So the brothers are still accused by the defence team of being behind the attack? And that Smollett thought they were white racists?

Is that right?

I think it's more a case that JS's team have claimed "the attack was racially motivated" + "JS didn't orchestrate it" and the police later found + "these chaps carried it out".

For all those sentences to be true, JS has to maintain the position that these chaps he was friendly with decided to attack him in the middle of the night for their own racially motivated (?) reasons. He knew nothing about it and is entirely innocent of anything and everything (though he did pay them for undefined and unrelated services).

Frankly, I reckon it's because JS is guilty as fuck but managed to pull some strings and get the investigation dropped by the CPD. His legal team are amazed and pleased that wheeze worked, but it means that a lot of self-contradictory things have happened and they need to close them off before anyone points out that this is all nonsense and JS made the whole thing up and probably should face charges.

I'm just some guy on the internet though so what do I know? That's how it seems to me anyway.

SteveDave

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on March 29, 2019, 08:20:14 AM
The Postal Inspection Service predates the United States itself and they do NOT fuck about. 

They are beyond secretive: despite decades of probing, JFK researchers note that not a single internal Post Office document from the Kennedy era has ever surfaced.

Post men killed JFK?

Back and to the left behind the bins

St_Eddie

Quote from: Keebleman on June 25, 2019, 03:36:58 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48754989

I hope that the little toad's career is effectively ended.  Watching those videos is disgusting and you can see how it's all been staged a mile off.

"Does that make sense?" asks Smollett's 'Creative Director', as he gives his version of events to the police.  Nobody innocent, describing a crime to the police, talks like that.  Might as well have asked "are you buying this bullshit I'm spinning you?".

"I just wanted you to see [the noose]".  Yeah, didn't you just, you filthy little worm.  Nobody innocent, who's been assaulted and had a noose placed around their neck, is going to keep it in place for hours afterwards, waiting for the police to arrive.  You'd take that thing off at the first fucking opportunity.

When I was assaulted by the rampaging psychopath in my friend's flat (I've talked about it on this forum before), I took off my blood drenched top and put it in the washing machine, whilst waiting for the police to arrive.  Washing it was a dumb thing to do (as the police told me, once they arrived, because it was evidence - although my missing front two teeth and multiple bruises was kinda evidence enough) but you know why I immediately took that top off?  Because I wanted anything and everything to do with that egregious and incredibly violent attack to be as far away from my person as possible.  It's human nature.

Some racist puts a noose around a black man's neck, then that man isn't going to fucking keep it around his neck for an extended and unnecessary amount of time.  Fuck Jussie Smollett!  Fuck him and fuck his career!  He wasted police time, whilst also undermining actual racism and actual sufferers of violent abuse.  I hope that the little shit does get assaulted for real and then cries "WOLF!".

bgmnts

History of being a cunt:

QuoteSmollett's credibility came under attack again Tuesday when the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office confirmed an NBC News report that the actor posed as his brother Jake when stopped for a suspected DUI in Los Angeles in July 2007 and signed his brother's name on the summons promising to appear in court.

Frank Mateljan, a public information officer in that office, confirmed to USA TODAY Wednesday that Smollett pleaded no contest to driving under the influence, driving without a license and providing false information to law enforcement in September of that year. He was sentenced to three years' probation plus fines or three days in jail. 

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Haha what a colossal bellsniff. There's no chance of any career now, this will follow him into grave.

sponk

Those cops knew he was full of shit.

"They poured bleach on me"
"Ok"

Why is anybody mad about this again? Because he made some policemen spend a few hours investigating a crime that didn't happen?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 26, 2019, 12:28:15 AM
Why is anybody mad about this again? Because he made some policemen spend a few hours investigating a crime that didn't happen?

That's about the size of it. Thank goodness he didn't waste the time of any policewomen, though. Small mercies.

Ferris

Presumably because he was sowing division and taking advantage of heightened racial tensions solely to cynically boost his own profile.

That's crass at best.

imitationleather

True crime guru Jim Can't Swim (he's the only Patreon I subscribe to) did a good video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmQJfFumYg0

St_Eddie

Yeah, I don't know what people are mad about either.  It's like when some famous woman falsifies a rape report to further their career.  I mean, yeah, the police wasted their time dealing with a false report when somewhere, an actual rape could be occurring and sure, it casts a disparaging light on genuine victims of rape because it makes people, police included, less likely to believe someone who actually has been raped, but ultimately, what's the problem?  Only a silly little false claim.  No need to get all antsy about it.

at this point it's just culture war shit that's dragging it out, nobody can possibly sincerely give a fuck about this

St_Eddie

A black man wearing a loose fitting noose as though it were a fashion accessory.  You might think that a man of that cultural and ethnical heritage might have a little more respect and understanding towards the egregious history of racial hatred in America but no, I guess that an already rich man's self-serving wont for a pay rise takes absolute precedence above such trivial matters as actual racial discrimination and racially motivated violence.