Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:48:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What do you think should happen to Shamima Begum and her kid?

Started by Barry Admin, February 18, 2019, 02:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: mugwump ji sum on February 18, 2019, 03:48:13 PM
she shouldn't be let back because she didn't belong here in the first place.

Didn't know Morrissey had an account here.

imitationleather

bgmnts

Pretty mental to let someone like that back in. Oh well.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

It's hard to tell from her words how much of her attitude is down is her being a psychopath/irredeemable dickhead and how much of it is just being 19.

Anyway I don't think there's much of a question here, revoking citizenship is a big no-no. She'll have to come back, presumably she'll have to have a bunch of meetings with social services and psychiatrists and counterterrorism people and all that, which will clarify what's best. Funnily enough the place where I did my masters degree had a course run by a terrorism expert, and apparently there was an actual former terrorist on the course. I never met them (that I know of) but I think that would have been interesting. It's worth remembering that most people who get radicalised are very young, and while it's unimaginable to most of us it's a process not unlike grooming, I think.

The only thing that irks me about this case is thinking of all those millions in Syrian refugee camps like the one she was in, most of whom haven't done anything wrong, left to flounder in uncertainty and poverty while she gets picked up and taken home because of her passport. But I think that's not so much a criticism of her as it is of the concept of nationality.

hermitical

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on February 18, 2019, 05:03:13 PMapparently there was an actual former terrorist on the course. I never met them (that I know of) but I think that would have been interesting.

It was the one with a really high squeaky voice

Lord Mandrake

No way give the baby to the grandparents, they are proven unfit.

Buelligan

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on February 18, 2019, 05:03:13 PM
The only thing that irks me about this case is thinking of all those millions in Syrian refugee camps like the one she was in, most of whom haven't done anything wrong, left to flounder in uncertainty and poverty while she gets picked up and taken home because of her passport. But I think that's not so much a criticism of her as it is of the concept of nationality.

I completely agree with that Kishi, absofuckinglutely.

finnquark

Something intriguingly x-factor about her claim that the whole experience 'has only made me stronger'. As though living in a war zone, losing two children and bearing a third in a refugee camp at the age of 19 was a comparable experience to not making it through boot camp. What this tells us about the case I don't know.

shh

If she does come back she'll just be one more name on the MI5 watchlist of 25k or so. And given the state of prisons, she'll probably do more harm locked up than on the outside. The most recent one just got out too, after all of 3 years. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/tareena-shakil-isis-bride-uk-prison-jail-release-syria-son-terror-a8780891.html In other words how we deal with her in particular is of little importance apart from revealing a wider issue in society that we have no idea how to deal with.

Naive to talk of 'rehabilitation' too - and odd to hear people ostensibly on the left using words like that, as though non-liberal -Western political beliefs were somehow unnatural to humankind. A Capita-run anti-terror programme is the stuff of black comedy (didn't something like this turn up in an Adam Curtis documentary? - using Duchamp as a tool to fight extremism?). It's the sort of blather politicians have to spout to assuage the public - like making would-be citizens take those preposterous tests or jobseekers sit in the dole office and 'apply' for X jobs a day.

She won't go on the dole mate. How would she explain the four year gap on her CV? Went travelling?

ziggy starbucks

she should turn her experiences into a daring stand up routine

Cerys

mothman

MidnightShambler

I think it's better to be completely honest isn't it? So my gut feeling is let her back in if she can make it back here under her own steam, I wouldn't be wasting an iota of time trying to rescue her. She only wants to come back because there's no future there, not because she's changed her beliefs. Then when she gets back, subject her to due process and see where it ends up.

But I'm not too sure about this 'brainwashing' angle everybody seems to swallow. An awful lot of people at 15 are more than capable of seeing a situation evolve, analysing it and reaching a position on it of their own free will. So I'm unsure, massively, about the rehabilitation prospects. She doesn't seem contrite in the slightest, in fact she's admitted she's not, which makes her a very dangerous person.
Also, I worry about the family and social circle she'd be coming back to. I don't know about any of you but when I was 15 it was hard to even go to a party without an adult finding out about it, never mind be facilitated enough financially and idealogically to make it to Turkey, then onto Syria and join ISIS, for fucks sake. Somebody must have been involved and will she come back as an inspiration, a better fighter? Everybody I know who has been to jail has told me you come out a better criminal, it's an education in crime. I don't see why being a jihadist would be any different.

I'm not comfortable with how any of this makes me feel by the way, I've always believed that everybody deserves a second chance, everybody. It's difficult.

Mister Six

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 18, 2019, 03:43:44 AM
I don't know, but if it was a 15 year old white girl who had been groomed on the internet, moved abroad to live in a shit hole, had three kids with the husband she was given after being groomed and two of them had died I think this story would have a very different feel to it.

Aye, she was a daft kid groomed by a terror-nonce. I don't think having her interviewed by the world media is doing much good either.

Council house, assumed name, therapy/deprogramming, revocation of her passport and a keen eye on her social interactions by MI5, I'd say.

gib

They should change her first name to something beginning with E then she could be relocated to Yorkshire.

There's also one about how they should get Prince Philip to collect her from the airport and have the McCanns adopt the baby i hope you enjoyed my joke roundup.

Mister Six

Quote from: shh on February 18, 2019, 08:33:19 PM
Naive to talk of 'rehabilitation' too - and odd to hear people ostensibly on the left using words like that, as though non-liberal -Western political beliefs were somehow unnatural to humankind.

Describing supporting fucking ISIS as "non-liberal Western political beliefs" is underselling it just a tad. And if you're in favour of hacking the heads off anyone who isn't a fundamentalist Muslim, you absolutely do need some kind of therapy to get you on track with living in the UK.

Besides which, she was groomed by a supporter of a violent militant group shortly after her mum's death, flew over to a war zone, witnessed mass murder, lost two children and is now going to have a third, all between the ages of 15 and 19. It's hardly naive to think she might need a bit of rehabilitation work, whatever happens next.

Kryton

Yeah the alleged comments about bins/buckets full of decapitated heads not fazing her, because they (the heads) belonged to people of a different religion were a tad disturbing. Plus she doesn't seem remorseful, moreso just admitting defeat and wanting to return from the war zone.

Not sure what our options are? I frankly couldn't give a fuck about her, but I feel sorry for the surviving baby.

mugwump ji sum

Quote from: Cerys on February 18, 2019, 09:26:57 PM
What makes you say that?

Different peoples have different homelands where they belong. Large-scale and completely unnecessary disruption of this leads to intractable problems, and a never-ending waste of time and effort trying to fix these.

Shamima Begum didn't stop belonging here because she joined a jihadi group, she joined a jihadi group because she doesn't really belong here.

I can see how this comment is seen as racist trolling as this is really a completely different discussion to what everyone else is talking about (rehabilitation, international law, conduct of the girl, etc). 

Even though I find these unimportant alongside whether she belongs here in the first place I did find her two short interviews quite interesting.

She is a bit surly, and the interviewers were very gentle with her. She contradicted herself by saying that she knew what she was getting into, then when asked why she deserved sympathy said because she didn't know what she was getting into. Also when asked if she was a danger said there was 'no evidence of that' instead of just 'no'.
So she hasn't even thrown a bone to English people looking for some repentance and they're just going to have to love it or lump it when she comes back.

darby o chill

QuoteGood Morning Britain host Piers Morgan, 53, said they both deserve what they got after agreeing to marry the "world's worst terrorists."

In a column for the Mail Online , he wrote: "They have sex with them, they breed with them, they cook for them, they clean for them, they love them and they worship them.

"And while they're doing all this, their husbands are busy raping, torturing, stoning, beheading and murdering people.

"Now, predictably, they both want to return to the safety of their original countries and live at OUR tax-payer expense.

"To which I say, and excuse my language here but sometimes it's entirely appropriate: Go f*** yourselves. My message to both these brides, and any others like them, is this: You made your ISIS husband beds, now you can rot in hell in them."

ToneLa

Quote from: darby o chill on February 19, 2019, 11:14:42 AM
Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan, 53, said they both deserve what they got after agreeing to marry the "world's worst terrorists."

Piers Morgan weighing in with all the sensitivity you'd expect from the world's best terrorist

Chollis

It's always about the tax payer's money isn't it. That's the real issue here.

jobotic

You can rot in hell in your husbands beds that you made.

You tell 'em Pearce.

Butchers Blind

Quoteshe bought her tickets, she knew what she was getting into. I say, let her crash.

Crisps?

I think if you fake and distribute Islamist terrorist recruitment propaganda depicting British soldiers torturing Arabs and a year later a series of Islamist bombings occur in London you should never ever be allowed back into Britain. In fact you should be killed.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

World's Worst Terrorists is my TV guilty pleasure, I think it's on between You've Been Framed and Homes Under the Hammer.

Ferris

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on February 19, 2019, 02:32:51 PM
World's Worst Terrorists is my TV guilty pleasure

Are they extra evil or extra incompetent? The title is ambiguous.

Benevolent Despot

If she turned and became a public critic of Islam she may not be let in to Britain due to fears of "community unrest" and so on. That's where we are.