Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New centrist party?

Started by biggytitbo, February 18, 2019, 08:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 20, 2019, 11:47:00 AM
"We thought when we left the Labour Party and publicly criticized it, we'd keep all the benefits it conferred to us. Now that we've left the Labour Party, some of our associated benefits have been rescinded and this is simply not on".

This mindset is obviously a British disease...

Alberon

They do seem genuinely surprised at this outcome. I bet none of them forming this non-party party thought it would be as tough as this. They probably thought they'd be on 30 MPs by now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think several have been involved in the People's Vote campaign and got a bit carried away by the momentum and insulated themselves from certain realities by, rather ironically, being wrapped up in their own self-confirming bubble.

Other people just viscerally detest Corbyn and are centrist kamikaze pilots who did it to try and help bring Corbyn down, anything to stop him.

holyzombiejesus

Is there any way to see which Labour MPs voted with the whips and which rebelled and voted for A&G? It appears that Corbyn himself abstained despite there being a 3 line whip, which seems odd.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 20, 2019, 12:16:42 PM
Is there any way to see which Labour MPs voted with the whips and which rebelled and voted for A&G? It appears that Corbyn himself abstained despite there being a 3 line whip, which seems odd.

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/635

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: big bottomed anarchist on March 20, 2019, 12:29:14 PM
https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/635

Pretty much a who's who of neo-con scum for the Noes on Labour's side. Streeting and Hodge are so horrible, thought this before I had done more than vaguely recognise Jeremy Corbyn.

Anyone who is a fan of PC or Lib Dems (heh) want to justify the no votes there?

pancreas

I find it very strange. Why such a low turnout? It could have been annoying for Labour to have to tolerate these cunts in their jobs. I suppose it must be a point of principle, but the DUP sided with Labour. Weird.

holyzombiejesus

Odd that David Lammy voted No yet JRM voted Yes too.

imitationleather

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 20, 2019, 12:51:19 PM
Odd that David Lammy voted No yet JRM voted Yes too.

David Lammy appears for yes and no. Some kind of fuck-up or has he done a Tower Hamlets?

NoSleep

Quote from: imitationleather on March 20, 2019, 12:55:37 PM
David Lammy appears for yes and no. Some kind of fuck-up or has he done a Tower Hamlets?

That's an affirmation of abstention, as opposed to not turning up.

greencalx

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 20, 2019, 12:16:42 PM

Maybe he was absent?

Blumf

How was the decision to use a three-line whip made? i.e. Who's idea was it?

greencalx

Quote from: Blumf on March 20, 2019, 01:21:56 PM

Of that I have little idea, but I think it's usually the Whips Office that figures out Commons voting strategy, although I suppose sometimes the decision will be made by the leadership.

The thing is people are absent all the time, and pairing is supposed to sort this out. So if Corbyn had a planned absence, then he would likely be paired with a Tory (May?) so their non-votes cancel each other out. To purposefully abstain you have to go through both lobbies.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Anyway, right result. We have partly limited their poisonous influence.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on March 20, 2019, 01:21:56 PM

In all honesty mate I don't even really know what a three-line whip really means.

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on March 20, 2019, 05:11:23 PM
In all honesty mate I don't even really know what a three-line whip really means.

This guy should be able to tell you:

Naughty boy!

Twed

Every time I see this topic title I think "I'll take 'Things I Need Less Than Tumour' for $200 Alex".

Cursus

It Appears That Chuka Umunna Is Being Funded By One Of The Tories' Biggest Donors

QuoteChuka Umunna appears to have turned to one of the Tories' biggest donors to fund his office since leaving the Labour Party to lead The Independent Group of MPs.

According to the latest Register of MPs' Interests, published this week, Umunna accepted a £10k donation from Jeremy Isaacs for "funding the salaries and expenses of staff in my office".

It is understood this is the same Jeremy Isaacs who is a City banker that has given over £500,000 to the Tories since 2006, and has attended Conservative dinners with David Cameron and Theresa May thanks to his donations.

QuoteOn launching the Independent Group in February Umunna said he wanted to create an "alternative to the status quo, establishment parties".

BuzzFeed News asked Umunna's office about taking support from the former Conservative donor. They did not address Isaacs' donation directly or confirm that it was the man in question, but did emphasise their commitment to transparency over donations.

idunnosomename

I hope the whole Independent Group shares a cab together and it drives off a cliff and into an underwater volcano

José

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 22, 2019, 05:37:03 PM
I hope the whole Independent Group shares a cab together and it drives off a cliff and into an underwater volcano

same but instead of lava the volcano's full of AIDS

petril

and that taxi driver's name? Nigel Farage

Shoulders?-Stomach!

But that doesn't fix our broken politics