Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:55:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No. 9 series 5

Started by Norton Canes, February 18, 2019, 11:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 08, 2020, 06:19:53 PM
I know you're doing one of your jokes, but Corden and Gervais strike me as precisely the sort of people who'd anger Reece to the very depths of his seething soul.

And that's why we love ya, Reece!

How can it be a joke if its merely a fabrication?

jobotic

They were both on Celebrity Catchphrase the other week. It was very endearing how seriously Shearsmith took it.

Captain Z

Especially when they lost and he murdered Roy Walker. The twist was that he realised the answer after they revealed what was behind square number 9.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Captain Z on January 08, 2020, 08:01:59 PM
Especially when they lost and he murdered Roy Walker.

Indeed.  It was especially vicious and vindictive of Reece Shearsmith, considering that Roy Walker hasn't even hosted Catchphrase since the 1990s.

Reece stormed out of the studio in Kent, with what witnesses would later describe as "the eyes of a madman" and ran all the way to Roy's home in Lancashire, fuming all the way and only stopping off at a fish and chips restaurant in Coventry mid-run, just so that upon arriving at Roy Walker's house, he could shove some chips down his throat and yell at him "fuck you, Mr Chips!", whilst Roy writhed about on his armchair in agony, chocking and eventually succumbing to death.  Bit rum of Reece, if you ask me.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Captain Z on January 08, 2020, 08:01:59 PM
Especially when they lost and he murdered Roy Walker. The twist was that he realised the answer after they revealed what was behind square number 9.

Haha!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 09, 2020, 01:32:22 AM
Indeed.  It was especially vicious and vindictive of Reece Shearsmith, considering that Roy Walker hasn't even hosted Catchphrase since the 1990s.

Reece stormed out of the studio in Kent, with what witnesses would later describe as "the eyes of a madman" and ran all the way to Roy's home in Lancashire, fuming all the way and only stopping off at a fish and chips restaurant in Coventry mid-run, just so that upon arriving at Roy Walker's house, he could shove some chips down his throat and yell at him "fuck you, Mr Chips!", whilst Roy writhed about on his armchair in agony, chocking and eventually succumbing to death.  Bit rum of Reece, if you ask me.

It's good, but It's not right ( ethically speaking).

Norton Canes

Good to see Chibnall's been hard at work.

Fingers crossed for the Ed Hime one this week, It Takes You Away at least demonstrated some imaginative flair. But that Tesla episode looks the most encouraging.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 09, 2020, 04:36:43 PM
Good to see Chibnall's been hard at work.

Fingers crossed for the Ed Hime one this week, It Takes You Away at least demonstrated some imaginative flair. But that Tesla episode looks the most encouraging.

The Doctor Who thread is dattaway, my man.

Is it known whether Reece and Steve make use of this site? In their shoes I probably would. I have a reason for asking but it's a secret, pertaining to Psychoville.

Norton Canes

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: sandpainter 1471z on January 13, 2020, 09:47:53 PM
Is it known whether Reece and Steve make use of this site? In their shoes I probably would. I have a reason for asking but it's a secret, pertaining to Psychoville.

I expect Reece has a look every now and then.

Malcy

Glebe

Cheers for that Malcy. Can't wait.

Dead Soon

I attended the premiere of two upcoming episodes, which included 'Referee'. Can confirm that I laughed like a drain so I eagerly anticipate rewatching this along with the rest of the saps at home that didn't turn a wheel at the BFI theatre last Friday night.

A Q+A followed which featured Teve and Eece alongside producer Adan Tandy. All was going reasonably convivial and tension free until the penultimate question asked from within the gleaming audience - ''Do you come up with the twist first and work backwards, or...'' - to which Ecce brimmed with rage and near-snarled ''there isn't *always* a twist'' before asking Tevez to field the question instead. To anybody that's aware of his Twitter, you'd know that it isn't the wisest of questions to put forth.

neveragain

Tried to get tickets but the BFI members nicked the bunch. Irritating to hear of empty seats.

Dead Soon

Quote from: neveragain on January 15, 2020, 11:36:53 PM
Tried to get tickets but the BFI members nicked the bunch. Irritating to hear of empty seats.

There'd have only been a literal few, I should know, I was in the perfect position to ascertain - the front row. Well at least I wasn't a dirty BFI member, but, my friend was so I guess I'm not detached from association enough!

poodlefaker

Not really on-topic, but I was at a party on NYE where there was a singer/DJ/karaoke host who looked and behaved so much like a Reece Shearsmith charater it was uncanny. The whole time I was imagining the simmering anger that would erupt if we didn't all join in to his satisfaction. It was the only way I could get through such a terrible evening, so thanks Reece.

neveragain

Quote from: Dead Soon on January 16, 2020, 12:09:32 AM
There'd have only been a literal few, I should know, I was in the perfect position to ascertain - the front row. Well at least I wasn't a dirty BFI member, but, my friend was so I guess I'm not detached from association enough!

Nothing against BFI members - I was considering becoming one myself and now wish I had - it's just very annoying they put tickets on sale to members first and seemingly sold out. Put a limited number of tickets up for members first, sure, it's a benefit, but don't exclude everyone else.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 16, 2020, 12:06:37 PM
Not really on-topic, but I was at a party on NYE where there was a singer/DJ/karaoke host who looked and behaved so much like a Reece Shearsmith charater it was uncanny. The whole time I was imagining the simmering anger that would erupt if we didn't all join in to his satisfaction. It was the only way I could get through such a terrible evening, so thanks Reece.

Was he silent?

poodlefaker

no AsparagusTrevor, he wasn't.

Captain Z

Was the twist that all his records charted at number 9?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Captain Z on January 16, 2020, 05:07:27 PM
Was the twist that all his records charted at number 9?

There isn't *always* a twist!!!

KennyMonster

petril

Malcy

I've only just started watching the earlier series, have two episodes from each and have two episodes left to watch. Might have the wrong impression from my samples but series 4 seems stronger as writing and might show a more rounded, humbled pair of human beings doing the writing. I'm not impressed with the earlier episodes, which seem a bit arbitrary and fluff-like. I know comedy and arts fans in general don't always mind either way, but are the LOG people a bit dodgy as human beings, by reputation? I'm trying to watch these as if they are founded on a sense of shared tragedy, but I may myself be personally aware of an incident involving two of the team that suggests that there is a dividing line between fortunate and unfortunate people that these writers may be aware of with malice. I'd hope not, regardless of the consensus arrived at among comedy fans and writers.

I came late even to the Alan Partridge material because in the 90s I felt a lot of comedy was mean-spirited. Stewart Lee has been the one clear case of distinguishing himself from that. As someone living with very little money and away from London, and as a non-television owner I'm well aware that Stewart may be far from alone there. As I keep myself occupied with my own creative activities I don't mind not being fully aware of what's available, and not wanting to pollute myself makes that apparent limitation easier to accept.

If Reece looks snipey about someone asking about twists, is that a mannerism done for a laugh, or is this successful man meaning that snipiness and maybe without truly having earned it?

Noodle Lizard

You're going to have to elaborate on that. I think Inside No 9 (and Psychoville, League or Gentlemen) always ends up on the "right" side of the line as far as being mean-spirited goes, which would seem to imply that they're overall decent sorts themselves. Reece certainly has a reputation for being grumpy, but that's not unusual.

bgmnts

I never really associated LoG as being a comment on anything politically or ideologically, beyond capturing the essence of a very bleak northern town filled with eccentric, tragic and hilarious characters. It's not really grounded in reality enough to really get a sense of the author except to say they have very dark senses of humour.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2020, 09:22:41 PM
I never really associated LoG as being a comment on anything politically or ideologically, beyond capturing the essence of a very bleak northern town filled with eccentric, tragic and hilarious characters.

Whilst I agree with this statement in general, it is worth noting that the boys did a whole B-plot satire of Brexit in the recent The League of Gentlemen specials.

neveragain

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/inside_no_9/episodes/5/

Little spoilers: ep 5 is monologues and ep 3 was made in a Mike Leigh-type improv-process.