Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No. 9 series 5

Started by Norton Canes, February 18, 2019, 11:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I believe it to be:

The junkie and the prom queen are Steve and Coronation Street's children. The young boy was the junkie's child.

I could be wrong but I thought Reece was Steve's brother or brother-in-law?

gib

That was my take too, SteveDave

holyzombiejesus

I thought that, and I think Reece was called uncle at one stage, but saying he's like one of the family would be an odd thing to say to your brother/in-law, wouldn't it?

Icehaven

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 19, 2020, 05:04:14 PM
I thought that, and I think Reece was called uncle at one stage, but saying he's like one of the family would be an odd thing to say to your brother/in-law, wouldn't it?

I just thought Reece was Steve's brother, but then I missed the line about him being like family, so maybe it was his brother-in-law, in which case presumably 'Sandra' must have been Steve's sister. Either way the Mum shouting at Steve about Reece charging for the driving lessons does make me think Reece must have been from Steve's side of the family, as if he was on the Mum's she would have taken it up with him herself.

I may be reading way too much into this but when Steve answered the door and said "Can I help you at all?" was that a LOG reference as that's what Tubbs says when someone goes into the local shop?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 19, 2020, 04:15:17 PM
Spoilered, just in cases people would prefer their own interpretation, but in the podcast
Spoiler alert
S&P state that the mum does run over the loan shark, and that it was seeded that she followed him in her car earlier in the episode.
[close]

Ah, thanks Crabwalk. I should listen to those podcasts. Is there one for Tempting Fate?

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 19, 2020, 06:52:05 PM
Ah, thanks Crabwalk. I should listen to those podcasts. Is there one for Tempting Fate?

The podcasts are released on BBC Sounds (other podcast apps are available) immediately after each show for series 5 only.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread they seem to be a replacement for the dying medium of the DVD with commentary.

They can be enlightening when you are scratching your head over an episode.

BTW It hasn't been mentioned yet, probably because it is blindingly obvious, but the music over the end credits was Love's Great Adventure by the mighty Ultravox, a banging choon.

Bobtoo

Quote from: icehaven on February 19, 2020, 05:22:57 PM
I just thought Reece was Steve's brother, but then I missed the line about him being like family, so maybe it was his brother-in-law, in which case presumably 'Sandra' must have been Steve's sister. Either way the Mum shouting at Steve about Reece charging for the driving lessons does make me think Reece must have been from Steve's side of the family, as if he was on the Mum's she would have taken it up with him herself.

They are brothers, the subject of the driving lessons came up because Steve said he'd ask his brother for money.

touchingcloth

Shearsmith was just supposed to be a local driving instructor who they only knew due to him teaching their daughter how to drive.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 20, 2020, 09:31:09 AM
Shearsmith was just supposed to be a local driving instructor who they only knew due to him teaching their daughter how to drive.

No he was definitely family. Otherwise it would have been a bit strange of the Mum to have expected him to do the lessons for free, and been annoyed that he was "charging his own niece for lessons", and for the daughter to call him uncle too.

Bobtoo

I watched the argument with the subtitles on. Reece was Steve's brother and also a driving instructor. Random driving instructors don't drink beer and cry about missing their other half with their pupil's father.

jobotic

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 20, 2020, 09:31:09 AM

She was referred to as his niece twice. My partner's have a couple of family friends that they call Uncle and Auntie but those people wouldn't refer to her as their niece

Hang on you're being silly.

ASFTSN

Quote from: jobotic on February 20, 2020, 12:19:51 PM
Hang on you're being silly.

The thread's been being trolled for several posts now imo.

Captain Z

Patrick was just supposed to be a frequent burglar that they became friendly with.

Cuellar

It was my understanding that the grandson was the loan shark?

Blumf

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2020, 12:35:03 PM

"Do you want to go on a scary ride?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtF10-Ka88g

Bazooka

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2020, 12:35:03 PM

I assumed so, he poured the cereal at a jaunty angle, as would a crooked loan shark.

KennyMonster

Am I the only one who picked up on the fact that the singing Xmas tree was supposed to have been possessed by the ghost of A A Gill but wasn't because the family couldn't afford it?

KennyMonster

Quote from: ASFTSN on February 20, 2020, 12:32:22 PM
The thread's been being trolled for several posts now imo.

On no! some call David Bladdieell.

poodlefaker

I half expected the driving instructor to be revealed as the loan shark, tbh.

gib

still not sure which one was a alien

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 20, 2020, 02:38:18 PM
I half expected the driving instructor to be revealed as the loan shark, tbh.

Reece does have good form on that.

touchingcloth

I read that Shearsmith's character was someone they had met down the pub on bonfire night.

neveragain

Bit of news regarding Referee's A W***er. Reference to real-life fourth official Barry Clopp who put up the wrong numbers at the end of a match has been redubbed to 'Gary Rob' on iPlayer following complaints by Clopp.

This news, gleaned from mumoss on Twitter, led me ultimately to rewatch all 3 episodes of s5 this morning. Very pleasant it was, a great variety of tones and my faith in their quality is restored. Forgot how horrifically dark and gag-crammed Death Be Not Proud was, and I now believe it works as a story on its own. The plot holds together although there are a few continuity errors around Jenna Coleman's scenes. Ref and Love are both great plays with moments of nuance and very strong performances. Looking forward to some old-school dark comedy in Misdirection next Monday. (Radio Times promises such anyway.)

canadagoose

Thought that was a really poor episode. Like an episode of Doctors but without any interesting resolution. Just dull and a bit pointless, except for the grandmother running over the loan shark. Maybe I'm missing something.

Blumf

Why did he delete the video?

ishantbekeepingit

Hey, I thought that was dead good.  Really kept me on the edge of my seat, and I was constantly looking for misdirection on misdirection, searching for the trick and what they wanted us to look at, second- and third-guessing myself.  I was convinced that it was somehow
Spoiler alert
going to be Pemberton's head in the safe.
[close]

Quote from: Blumf on February 24, 2020, 10:33:26 PM
Why did he delete the video?
So there's be no evidence of him with the notebook, knowing now that the police might be making a visit.

Blumf

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on February 24, 2020, 10:34:52 PM
So there's be no evidence of him with the notebook, knowing now that the police might be making a visit.

But then surely he'd need to delete all the videos, not just that day's?

ishantbekeepingit

Depends on when he last got the thing out.  Most of these systems only store the last however-long at any one time, and looking things up online, a high-tech set-up could fill up a terabyte in less than a fortnight.

Blumf

Hummm... I'm going to have to re-watch. But overall I liked that episode a lot.

Next question: Where is everyone else? Usually there's a pile of comments by now.

neveragain

It was to erase his meeting with Gabriel, wasn't it? And possibly his burning the notebook.

What I don't quite get is the Mountweazel connection. But a strong episode; tense and well-paced.