Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No. 9 series 5

Started by Norton Canes, February 18, 2019, 11:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 21, 2020, 01:07:42 AM
Whilst I agree with this statement in general, it is worth noting that the boys did a whole B-plot satire of Brexit in the recent The League of Gentlemen specials.

I was not aware of such specials.
I clearly suck as a fan.

I think they come across as a bit smug in interviews and things. I sense: Probably cunts. But they churn out some absolutely brilliant stuff.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Gattis always comes across as a lovely man in interviews.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I have a complaint to make about the episode from the first ( I think) series of Inside No.9 "The Harrowing".

When the two schoolgirls find themselves in that scary situation in the big ol' spooky house, right, and the creepy couple for whom one of the schoolgirls come back unexpectedly and yer man Reece is explaining why the two schoolgirls are there. Reece makes mention of 'He who walks backwards', and the other schoolgirls dozily says "Who, Michael Jackson?" . Reece looks genuinely exasperated at this, and makes a face ("No...")

AND YET, RIGHT-

That other schoolgirl is in on the plot (involving the entrapping of the other schoolgirl, the former young prossie from "Luther") with the creepy couple, so will have known full well what Reece would have been referring to, so her making that comment,causing Reece's seemingly genuine "no, you stupid git"-type reaction is actually quite spurious.

That ruined the whole series for me. I hope Reece is reading this, so I do.

neveragain

I think Shell's not very intelligent even though she is in on it. She's probably been manipulated and doesn't fully understand what the church is doing.

Ambient Sheep

I've not seen that episode yet, but from your description presumably she said it so as NOT to appear that she was in on the secret?  You know, playing dumb deliberately in order to mislead...

EDIT: Heh, or what he said, since he's actually seen it.

neveragain

She does also play dumb (or at least feign innocence) quite a lot so it's one or the other.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, alright then.
Well, that one with the boring bloke who likes jigsaws, but, unbeknown to his missus, He's got a young lady and son imprisoned in the basement of their house, and he feeds them pot noodles. The ending of *that* seems unlikely. Also, that wifie's too young for Reece and his " Young Person" wig.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Reece in that episode was obviously supposed to be a midlife crisis twat, he wasn't playing a man in his thirties.

neveragain

This video has some good comments about the final scene of To Have, and convinced me it actually makes sense: https://youtu.be/wrZkJ9SvkUI (about 24 mins in)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 01, 2020, 07:44:41 AM
Reece in that episode was obviously supposed to be a midlife crisis twat, he wasn't playing a man in his thirties.

Really?  Ok, I hadn't realised that either.

Brilliant episode though.  And thanks for the link neveragain, some good points made.

neveragain

You're welcome, and yeah I'd assumed Reece was playing a younger man there. Funnier this way.

Norton Canes

I wonder what the twist will be?

Reece. Reece. I said I wonder what the twist will be?

Malcy

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on February 03, 2020, 01:09:52 PM
I wonder what the twist will be?

Reece. Reece. I said I wonder what the twist will be?

It'll be that David Morrissey has picked up and absorbed the persona of a football referee from an Infostamp and is in fact Jackson Lake just recovering from thinking he was the Doctor.

Norton Canes

^ Bit spoilery, would stay clear.

MigraineBoy

Immediately after each episode airs it gets an accompanying podcast 'Inside Inside Number 9' hosted by SP & RS on BBC Sounds.

Harry Badger

Spoiler alert
A referee kissing a player???
[close]
Truly the last taboo.

Icehaven

Did I miss something? Didn't geddit.

Pseudopath

Yawn. Well that one won't be troubling anyone's Top 10 list.

kalowski

Quote from: Harry Badger on February 03, 2020, 10:20:49 PM
Spoiler alert
A referee kissing a player???
[close]
Truly the last taboo.
"You sucked... sent him off."

Harry Badger

Quote from: icehaven on February 03, 2020, 10:31:52 PM
Did I miss something? Didn't geddit.

Spoiler alert
It's based on the false premise that football authorities don't know who referees support and allocate them games that could benefit their club if it goes the right way.
[close]

kalowski

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 03, 2020, 10:32:11 PM
Yawn. Well that one won't be troubling anyone's Top 10 list.
I liked it.

Icehaven

Quote from: Harry Badger on February 03, 2020, 10:33:37 PM
Spoiler alert
It's based on the false premise that football authorities don't know who referees support and allocate them games that could benefit their club.
[close]

Still stumped. Never mind.

bgmnts

BritishHobo

Spoiler alert
David Morrissey supports City so he deliberately fucked the game and caused United to be docked pointsso that City would be promoted.
[close]

Ja'moke

Quote from: icehaven on February 03, 2020, 10:36:27 PM
Still stumped. Never mind.

David Morrisey's character was a City fan, and the only chance of them getting promoted was if Rovers lost their game, which he was refereeing. He tanked the game so that Rovers got docked points, thereby letting City gain the promotion.

big egg

Well of all the episodes that were clearly conceived as a pun on the "inside number 9" title... That was certainly one. Didn't hate it, but yeah...

Blumf

I liked it. Don't like football, mind, so what do I know.

holyzombiejesus

Didn't really like it. Felt like it was written by someone who didn't really know that much about football and was making up for it by cramming in some references. Still plenty to like but found parts quite jarring.