Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nightflyers - G.R.R. Martin Sci Fi/Horror TV series

Started by NoSleep, February 18, 2019, 05:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Shown last December and seemingly passed by on here. I've just started watching it and wondered why I hadn't heard anything about it on here before. It's on the Sy Fy, and like The Expanse there's things I like about it (some good performances) and things I can do without (some poor performances). I put on hold any judgement on the story so far, because there are numerous questions I have about it that may be resolved, or not.

Alberon

It's pants. Cliche piles on cliche and most of the characters are dumb. An appearance later on from Josette Simon from Blake's 7 (who scarily appears to have barely aged in the nearly 40 years since the BBC classic) doesn't do much to raise it above silly melodrama.

NoSleep

Did you manage to reach the end? I'm going to watch episode 3 tonight.

Alberon

I staggered through to the end. I felt it started okay, but it just got a bit silly.

Alberon

NoSleep

Only up to episode 3. I started to fall asleep at one point so I have to rewatch. Quite enjoyed the Ralphy thread, even if the captain's mummy issues are beginning to look a bit silly (to quote you).

Small Man Big Horse

It's been cancelled by Syfy apparently, with viewing figures being all a bit poor.

NoSleep

Do you think they dumped The Expanse because they thought this better?

Alberon

Quote from: NoSleep on February 20, 2019, 04:46:52 PM
Only up to episode 3. I started to fall asleep at one point so I have to rewatch. Quite enjoyed the Ralphy thread, even if the captain's mummy issues are beginning to look a bit silly (to quote you).

You haven't seen anything yet on the Captain's storyline. Trust me.

Alberon

Quote from: NoSleep on February 20, 2019, 05:05:26 PM
Do you think they dumped The Expanse because they thought this better?

The problem with The Expanse was that SyFy only had first run rights. They had none of the reruns, streaming or overseas sales. The result was they were losing a lot of money on the deal and it wasn't sustainable despite how well regarded the series is.

It makes financial sense to make their own shows which they then own. Probably nowhere as sweet a deal as CBS' selling Star Trek overseas rights to Netflix and going straight into profit, but it makes a vast difference. But Nightflyers was a critical and viewing failure so into the bin it goes.

NoSleep

The Roy Eris and the Melantha actors are really poor at delivering their lines correctly (regardless of the content of those lines, story-wise). I presume the series is merely based on the novella by GRRM if they were planning on stretching beyond one season.

Alberon

Yeah, I've not read the novella, but my understanding is that in it the aliens are basically just a macguffin that drives the plot, but the main story is (without saying too much) what forms one of the main arcs of the series.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Alberon on February 20, 2019, 05:09:43 PM
The problem with The Expanse was that SyFy only had first run rights. They had none of the reruns, streaming or overseas sales. The result was they were losing a lot of money on the deal and it wasn't sustainable despite how well regarded the series is.

It makes financial sense to make their own shows which they then own. Probably nowhere as sweet a deal as CBS' selling Star Trek overseas rights to Netflix and going straight into profit, but it makes a vast difference. But Nightflyers was a critical and viewing failure so into the bin it goes.

Nightflyers was a co-production with Netflix though so it sounds like it might be a similar situation. I don't know for sure though, but it was getting under half a million viewers by the end which is fairly disastrous.

Dannyhood91

My mate has been telling me to watch this but the trailer made me feel bored so I'm not gonna bother.

Dex Sawash

SYFY  website won't let me stream the first 5 eps, the cunts.

Spoon of Ploff

I managed to finish the first episode. Pretty much disliked all the characters.. the dead daughter fetishist keeping back important information in particular.. and with all the perils of space travel in space is having someone nearly drown in a vat of water the best they could come up with to generate a sense of peril?

That tech guy Murphy getting slammed around the flight deck with everyone sitting in chairs looking concerned made me laugh though... I think he catches fire later on as well. Are there many more Murphy misshapes to enjoy in later episodes? If so then maybe I'll give it another go.

NoSleep

The little dead cancer girl walking around in a red raincoat was an original twist.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: NoSleep on February 21, 2019, 01:34:11 PM
The little dead cancer girl walking around in a red raincoat was an original twist.

A red raincoat you say? Hmm...

NoSleep

Maybe it was meant as a subliminal message to not look anymore.